More Pioneer changes

I know this is a different topic but I beg to differ.

Interesting! Go ahead and explain why you think there is a difference.

And also, please give us your background in drum corps...years, corps, etc. We'll wait to hear your response. I may warn you that Donny and others have been in drum corps a long time (myself included) and have done junior and senior AND are music educators. Be careful the road could get bumpy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand this is pretty much how things have been at Pioneer for quite a while. I talked to a few former Pio members a few years ago who said they wouldnt go back because it was too frustrating having staff on a revolving door.

I know it was a bit rough for us last year, but this summer sounds a little better (In some aspects.).

The staff problem though? Ugh.

Ya know I was thinking...if Pioneer gets as good as the Buccaneers, Bushwackers, Empire Statesmen, Brigadiers or Caballeros by seasons end, I would be ecstatic. Some senior corps would make DCI finals.

I guess that senior comment kinda tweaked me a little. By no means is Pioneer sounding like a senior corps. But if they sounded like like any one of the aforementioned corps they would be awfully good.

Enough said...

Donny

I an sorry but you are dreaming that a senior corps would be top 12Please pass around some of what you have. The 2 are on different approaches. Besides you are comparing the top end of one to the bottom end of the other. Besides this has little to do with the stability issue. I hope the corps does well but some aspects need to be moved forward from the 70's

Wow....don't hate, participate!

I an sorry but you are dreaming that a senior corps would be top 12Please pass around some of what you have. The 2 are on different approaches. Besides you are comparing the top end of one to the bottom end of the other. Besides this has little to do with the stability issue. I hope the corps does well but some aspects need to be moved forward from the 70's

Unfortunately for all of you naysayers...it is a much better product with more kids and a staff that is finally getting along just fine. Even not being there, I have had daily communication with staff members. They are learning the closer drill as I type.

I dont get why you are putting a corps down that you have sponsored someone to participate in. And...

You must not have been to DCA finals weekend in a few decades. These corps dont suck and the programming is not much different than the lower end of the top 12. They are weekend only corps, but most are severely talented. Are they the Cavaliers...absolutely not, but those products are very good. Sorry if they entertain the audience. DCA is growing and DCI is losing corps year after year. I applaud Roman Blenski for not allowing his corps to be a casualty. Pioneer is not a senior corps nor do they resemble one at all.

I know I will what I can to be the best they can be...and that is the only thing that is important. I cant wait to get back to work.

Donny

I know I will what I can to be the best they can be...and that is the only thing that is important. I cant wait to get back to work.

Donny

Total trust here ! I marched/staffed in the 1995-1998 era. Good years for the corps. And although they might not have done competitively what we did in recent years, that is no reason to stop your support. If you are in Drum Corps to only support the elite.....fine......you'll find yourself crying for more corps in a few years. I am still, after all those years, very proud to have been a part of Pioneer. It's something that will never fade. Do I support all choices made? Maybe not. But do I support all choices made by The Cadets, Blue Devils and Cavaliers? No....why would I. Do I need that to be entertained and to be proud of those kids? I wonder why I would?

Unfortunately for all of you naysayers...it is a much better product with more kids and a staff that is finally getting along just fine. Even not being there, I have had daily communication with staff members. They are learning the closer drill as I type.

I dont get why you are putting a corps down that you have sponsored someone to participate in. And...

You must not have been to DCA finals weekend in a few decades. These corps dont suck and the programming is not much different than the lower end of the top 12. They are weekend only corps, but most are severely talented. Are they the Cavaliers...absolutely not, but those products are very good. Sorry if they entertain the audience. DCA is growing and DCI is losing corps year after year. I applaud Roman Blenski for not allowing his corps to be a casualty. Pioneer is not a senior corps nor do they resemble one at all.

Donny

Just as an FYI, I was at both DCI & DCA finals last year. The level of program, responsibility and musicianship not to mention the sophistication of the visual programs is not comparable between top DCA & top 12 DCI. I am concerned simply because I do support the corps thru sponsorship of a member, kind of like someone buying stock in a company, it is thier right to question what is done there, plus the fact that I don't know if the student is going to stay meaning the investment i made will be wasted. BTW, I prefer to discuss on the forum.

Just as an FYI, I was at both DCI & DCA finals last year. The level of program, responsibility and musicianship not to mention the sophistication of the visual programs is not comparable between top DCA & top 12 DCI. I am concerned simply because I do support the corps thru sponsorship of a member, kind of like someone buying stock in a company, it is thier right to question what is done there, plus the fact that I don't know if the student is going to stay meaning the investment i made will be wasted. BTW, I prefer to discuss on the forum.

I really, really appreciate your sponsorship. No doubt about that. But just in the interest of the kid, the corps, your money, the activity and the progress you are aiming at....wouldn't it have been more valuable to discuss this with the corps management than posting it online. Just my thought.

I agree. I marched 7 years in junior corps and 1 season with a DCA finalist. I don't believe the top DCA corps can compete with the DCI top 12 corps. The visual programs alone are far less sophisticated and the level of visual achievement is much lower in DCA. I don't mean to say that the DCA corps suck. I enjoy watching them. But if you were to compare on the DCI judging scale, I would put the top DCA corps in the 18-21 DCI placement range.