The Cavaliers 2007 Show

That's a seriously debatable point that neither of us can answer, given our lack of experience using the other's marching technique.

I find it amusing how people bash the Cavaliers for doing things in an easier manner, as if doing something a more difficult way is somehow superior. That's a serious drum corps mentality that I think people need to let go.

How can it be respected if it isn't really really really unnecessarily hard to do?

*sarcasm off*

seriously...why do people not get the whole "smarter not harder" concept?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.... yes. now, 2-5 is a different story. welllll, maybe FlyingCadet could do it, but.... that's about it. :doh:

I actually demonstrated a 2 to 5 pace at rehearsal last weekend.

My technique was horrible (similar to the triple jump, but with no jump) and I hurt a lot after. The kids thought it was funny, but no joke, it really hurt.

That's a seriously debatable point that neither of us can answer, given our lack of experience using the other's marching technique.

I find it amusing how people bash the Cavaliers for doing things in an easier manner, as if doing something a more difficult way is somehow superior. That's a serious drum corps mentality that I think people need to let go.

Agree with the first part of your post. As for the second part, where was i bashing anything. I happen to think that the straight leg technique of the cadets and blue devils looks better, but I never said it was inherently better because it was harder, which is what you guys seem to be implying. In my last post i just said its easier for you to go into a jazz run because your regular marching is closer to that in the first place.

Edited by euponitone

I heard they are tilting their snares in the other direction.

Mom

....but still using the normal traditional grip :P

Agree with the first part of your post. As for the second part, where was i bashing anything. I happen to think that the straight leg technique of the cadets and blue devils looks better, but I never said it was inherently better because it was harder, which is what you guys seem to be implying. In my last post i just said its easier for you to go into a jazz run because your regular marching is closer to that in the first place.

Sorry, that wasn't meant specifically for you.

I'm not exactly how our marching style is any more or less suitable for transitioning to a jazz run than any other technique.

Maybe some people (like myself) looked in announcements instead of show and event reviews, to see what selections they'll be playing. That's the appropriate place to look for about show announcements. Not everybody knows about their season BBQ event.

Furthermore, I went looking on Cavaliers website and found nothing.

So yeah... I know how to use the search feature....

But thank you for letting us know they're playing a selection of greatest hits.

Well Steph, if you visited the site in anticipation of the start of the season over the last couple of months, then you WOULD have known about the season kickoff BBQ -- it was all over the site. In fact, despite the time I spend actually volunteering with the corps, that's how I found out about it and I DON'T visit the site very often.

Also, I don't remember or recall any rule established anywhere that states it is any corps' responsibility to divulge the source music of their every show so that YOU or anyone outside of the design and teaching staff of that corps can approve it. If it's not in the announcement they release, then maybe they aren't just going to play the music they've chosen "straight" and maybe it relays the concept they're trying to get across better to give a "concept" announcement rather than a source music announcement.

I know you "just want to know" but you're frankly coming across like someone with a displaced sense of entitlement. The DCI (and DCA and parade) corps who are participating this season are not even required to MAKE any kind of show announcement. A show announcement is just a way to generate "buzz" -- it's just a marketing tool and it seems that the detail (or lack thereof) is getting the job done in this case.

There was a time, I'm sure you remember it well, that NO corps ever made a 'show announcement' until the first time they stepped onto the competition field that summer and an announcer gave the spiel.

What is the big flipping deal? So the corps has not told you what music they're using.. they'll be ON THE FIELD in less than a week.

Relax. You'll find out when the rest of us do.

Seriously. It's just drum corps.

Stef

I heard they are tilting their snares in the other direction.

Mom

I was at a parade on the weekend and there was a pipe band where the snare line all tilted the wrong way, and held their right stick with traditional grip.

Sorry, that wasn't meant specifically for you.

I'm not exactly how our marching style is any more or less suitable for transitioning to a jazz run than any other technique.

When i think of jazz running, I think of a very fluid technique, which is, for lack of a better word, is close to running. When I watch the cavaliers, there doesnt seem to be much of a change in body positioning when they go into a jazz run, when compared to most other corps. I always assumed this was a consious decision, and its certainly helped them with high velocity drill the past few years.

When i think of jazz running, I think of a very fluid technique, which is, for lack of a better word, is close to running. When I watch the cavaliers, there doesnt seem to be much of a change in body positioning when they go into a jazz run, when compared to most other corps. I always assumed this was a consious decision, and its certainly helped them with high velocity drill the past few years.

There is actually a distinct and intentional drop in body position upon descent into a jazz run.

I thought it was BD who didn't really change their posture much.