Cavaliers post 2007 show audio on youtube

If it is that watered in June what will it be in August?

A crowd favorite.

It'll probably be that in June and July too. B)

Edited by mobrien

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was your 666th post!!! :o

Off topic, but on NPR the other day, they reported that papyrus of the text that explains how the number 666 is "the mark of the beast" is wrong! This text is VERY old, the oldest of it's kind. After translation, the number is.....................

616!!!!!!

DUM DUM DUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!!

I'd be willing to bet good money that if another corps that was not put on such a pedestal was playing this it would not be getting the same accolades or being tagged as a crowd favorite.

Say Crown was playing the same show, I bet it would not be getting the warm and fuzzy response but then again it would have a better sound if Crown was playing it.

Say Crown was playing the same show, I bet it would not be getting the warm and fuzzy response but then again it would have a better sound if Crown was playing it.

Yes, because Crown's sound can even touch The Cavaliers.

I've heard june recordings of both...night and day.

I'd be willing to bet good money that if another corps that was not put on such a pedestal was playing this it would not be getting the same accolades or being tagged as a crowd favorite.

Uh, do you have an issue with The Cavaliers?

I have a feeling if Crown was playing this show, people would be getting warm and fuzzy about it.

I have a feeling if Crown was playing this show, people would be getting warm and fuzzy about it.

Good call, its really about the music with this one...people love to hear stuff they know played on the field, it gives them an automatic connection to the performance. With unfamiliar stuff, people have to be sold on the music through repeated listenings before they truly come ot love it. They did the same thing in '04 with the Bond music - people already knew it and there fore came into the show with a little better ear towards musical nuances.

That being said, since it is popular, they have to make sure to give it enough depth and character to whithstand repeated listenings. It cannot be too close to the original, because not only will it end up sounding like a bad pep band arrangement, but if people wanted to hear the original, they would just play their Billy Joel CDs.

Regarding the Crown comment, there is something to be said about reputation and expectations. Sure people wouldnt be as excited if they found out the Bandettes (no offense to the Bandettes intended) were playing Billy Joel. But the Cavaliers are the most dominating corps of the last seven years...people listen to the music and expect it to be wonderful (if not now, then definately by august). They also have expectations about how the music will fit into the great visual program the Cavies consistently put on the field. So it isnt just one big Cavies lovefest on here - people are just bringing their expectations into play a bit.

I guess I will go against the trend here and say not very impressed with that. Pretty simple stuff and sounds like many of their other shows. If it is that watered in June what will it be in August?

I prefer corps that throw it out there and bite off a whole bunch and work from there.

Im not sure what the 'watered down' is referencing. It sounds like a pretty decent book to me. Maybe a little top heavy in terms of moving lines, but that seems to be one of their strengths this year. And as for the ending...cavies always have a crappy and abrupt ending this time of year that pisses people off...then they add the 'oooOOOoo' moment later in the season

Also just listening to the opener does anyone else find it sounds almost like a 70's-80's corps? It just has that sound to me

It has some "old school" elements, especially the closer, but it's still got the new Cavies sound. It will be very interesting to see how this show morphs over the course of the summer. Can't wait to see it!

My reaction to these recordings is kinda mixed. I liked parts of it, and parts of it will really take seeing the WHOLE package to determine whats going on. Some sections just feel like they go on forever. LOVE the percussion writing...Casella is genious. Percussion section is VERY thick at this stage though...we'll see if they can put it together by the end of the season...with PR and Cadets (even the Bluecoats), the Percussion trophy should be a challenge.

My wife didn't know what I was listening too...she asked, "is that the Crossmen?" To be honest, not really the best sign for a Corps trying to win a championship IMO. We LOVED the 2001, 2003, and especially 2006 Cavaliers shows, so hopefully this one will grow on us.

Our verdict...we'll have to wait and see what it's like come Finals!