Cavaliers post 2007 show audio on youtube

That being said, since it is popular, they have to make sure to give it enough depth and character to whithstand repeated listenings. It cannot be too close to the original, because not only will it end up sounding like a bad pep band arrangement, but if people wanted to hear the original, they would just play their Billy Joel CDs.

I'm not entirely certain of that...there IS something to be said for not over-arranging and sticking a little closer to the source music.

I wanted Nightfire to eventually do a BJ show years ago....my show selections at the time were NOT the same as what Cavies are doing...and since I was going to do the arranging, I was going to follow the source music a bit more closely then I heard on the re;leased clips.

Time will tell.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not entirely certain of that...there IS something to be said for not over-arranging and sticking a little closer to the source music.

I wanted Nightfire to eventually do a BJ show years ago....my show selections at the time were NOT the same as what Cavies are doing...and since I was going to do the arranging, I was going to follow the source music a bit more closely then I heard on the re;leased clips.

Time will tell.

well, of course it all depends upon the source...im sure an 11 and 1/2 minute tribute to the amazing music of Britney Spears would need lots of tweaking and parts added (Oooo, think about how cool "Toxic" would sound) whereas Bocook could pretty much rip "Thick as a Brick" straight from the Tull recording because the musical lines and texture were varied enough to make it interesting.

Joel I feel lies somewhere in the middle...he has moments of pop innane-ity (is that even a word?) and other moments where it is pure orchestra brilliance.

Hmm....first time I can remember Cavies having this much pre-season audio out there. :lol:

I finally got to listen to it last night at home and it's definitely more music than we heard at the BBQ last month.. i will also say that it sounds like whoever did the recording set the mic up on the left side of the arc where the high brass resides because from the recordings, you can barely tell they even HAVE a low brass section.

That being said, I like it better live (obviously) but hearing more of it strung together right now is a little bit like getting a peek into the "christmas closet" my mom had back home. You only got a split second peek and you had to soak up as much as you could before she slammed the door shut again but it made christmas morning even better when you found out all the stuff you DIDN'T catch back when you got to peek.

That probably makes no sense but that's just how I see it.

I'm looking forward to seeing them in Oswego.

Stef

I watched them rehearse all last week. The visual isn't quite what I expected it to be at this point in the season, but there are so many rookies. I suppose dirt is to be expected, even from them.

Anyway, I can still hum most of the show a week later, and I don't think I've ever hummed a Cavaliers show in my life, except for 95, and possibly a little 2004. I don't even like Billy Joel, or know many songs.

They never cease to surprise.

I'm looking forward to seeing them in Oswego.

One of the rare times anyone would type the phrase "I'm looking forward to..." and "Oswego" in the same sentence. :P

I will not be able to hear this until this evening....can someone please explain the vocals?? :lol:

I will not be able to hear this until this evening....can someone please explain the vocals?? :lol:

"Jennifer!"

Kudos to the Cavies for putting their entire show on YouTube. It takes a lot of guts to put it all out there in pre-season.