Dream Guard

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were still in High School: Avon SW

If this were back in the day and I were a guy: Northern Lights

If I could move and had the cash to do it: Fantasia or Corona

This is all assuming that I weren't married or in the military, of course!

Anthron 1986 - coolest show ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIQHafOEUD0

this is the right link. sorry

Anthron 1986 - coolest show ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIQHafOEUD0

this is the right link. sorry

FIERCE

They did stuff that guards today couldn't pull off, one of my new favorite shows of all time.

Edited by Musical_Spinner

FIERCE

They did stuff that guards today couldn't pull off, one of my new favorite shows of all time.

And to think that was a 7th place performance in 1986!

And to think that was a 7th place performance in 1986!

The activity had so many great guards during that time. The variety was incredible. What was most fun about Anthron in 86 is that we did not have any instructors. We were self taught. The entire program was developed by the marching members. We had no money, virtually no management, but a desire to create change in the activity. Our goals were simple: Be unique, challenge the status quo, and most importantly to present a fan friendly show.

A funny story I'd like to share was the fact that the Midwest Color Guard Circuit did not want to let us in as a member. Marie Csapinzski (sp?) was VERY vocal claiming that we would fail. That this couldn't be done, that we were a joke. At our first performance, the spectators were laughing at us as we marched in. After the first 30 seconds they were clapping along to "Blue Monday" by New order. We received a standing ovation when we were done.

It was the single greatest learning experience of my life (next to raising four kids) and one that I cherish.

We kept it going for 5 years before the core group of members decided to disband. We were all contributing our own dollars to keep it afloat and decided to get on with our lives. Many of us are having very successful careers in our real lives. Much of what I have learned about management in business can be directly attributed to those 5 years of my life.

Here is another vid from 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxaIoiKlGJA

Enjoy!

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I think that I would have loved to march with the Suburbanettes the year they did they biker chick with classical music or Chesapeake when they did the oriental show. I think that was 90-91.