With One Day Before the First Show

What is it going to take for people to drop this tired old line of Regiment having a subpar visual program that is keeping them from winning.

:laugh: ummmmm.. consistency? a championship? :laugh:

Just throwin it out there..

Stef

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: ummmmm.. consistency? a championship? :laugh:

Just throwin it out there..

Stef

Um, I addressed the claim that it was a "subpar visual program" that was keeping them from winning the championship, when it clearly was something else. Simply saying "well they haven't won" doesn't make any point at all; it still has nothing to do with their visual program (seeing as they won GE vis last year). When I start arguing along the lines of "what will it take for people to stop claiming Regiment can't win," then you can make your last post again, and it will actually make sense, rather than just being a bait and switch. :laugh:

I think it's a possibility. I've noticed in regards to the visual program, that sometimes the way the drill is designed, especially for the brass, that even if the sets are marched to perfection they can at times still seem awkward. It's almost as if the transition from one set to the next is the problem. I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but oh well. In order for PR to win, I feel like the brass and guard are going to really have to compete. In years past, their hornline has been well, a large bit on the crass part at certain points. I know some people like that, but there are ways to play loud and still produce a beautiful yet biting sound at the same time. Their brassline is very good, will they be better than Cadets, BD, SCV (to name a few) on finals night who knows. same with the guard. Some years, people know who the champ is gonna be a week in advance, just because a certain corps is that dominant (Cavies 2002, BD 03, Cadets 2005), but this year I really feel as though we will have quite a bit of flip-flopping in the standings during finals week. These corps are starting to get to the point where it really can be anyones "game" on any given night. so we'll see. Do I think Phantom will win? No. Do I think they have the potential to win? All of the potential in the world. It's just a matter of harnessing that potential and taking it for a ride. Good luck PR.

I'll believe Regiment winning the title when I see it. They've come so close on so many occasions but been so far away. Last year's second place finish was the classic example of awesome music, but a show that cannot compete with the class of the visual dpt (Cavs). That's not to say Phantom's visual program is bad, because it isn't. But if they had a program which could have competed with Cavies, let alone beat it, they would have won last year outright.

You do realize, of course, that PR won GE Visual at DCI Finals last year, right? I would say that qualifies a being able to "compete" with Cavaliers.

I think that there are literally at least a hundred people on DCP who's thought processes go like this:

DCP Fanboy: CORPS X is the BEST! They do everything so well, they're going to win this year!

DCP Opposing Voice: Eh...they're ok. But I think Corps Z is going to win this year.

DCP Fanboy's Inner Monologue: <i>What!!?? What the heck is this guy smoking? How DARE he say that. He should love Corps X every bit as much as I do!</i>

A low-level flamewar usually ensues.

Perhaps I am exaggerating in jest, but...you have to admit that looks awfully familiar. I've come to FULLY understand that some people can't handle that others may not like the same things that they do.

Man, I can't believe that you think Corps Z could possibly beat Corps X!

:P

You do realize, of course, that PR won GE Visual at DCI Finals last year, right? I would say that qualifies a being able to "compete" with Cavaliers.

[Waits for someone to make some snarky and completely non-sensical bait and switch response to this display of reason too]

[Waits for someone to make some snarky and completely non-sensical bait and switch response to this display of reason too]

Greg made a reasonable statement of fact. You asked what it would take for people to stop talking about how PR has no visual or a sub-par visual program. My answer: it will take consistency and a championship.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Edited by ScribeToo

Regiment's Visual Program is "up to par" with "the top corps."

DCI Atlanta: 1st Visual GE - 3rd Visual Performance - 2nd Visual Ensemble

Quaterfinals: 3rd Visual GE - 1st Visual Performance - 1st Visual Ensemble

Finals: 1st Visual GE - 3rd Visual Performance - 2nd Visual Ensemble

I do not care if Regiment has won all the championships or even none at all...

I still love the corps (even before I marched)

I know there are alot of people who have total faith in THEIR Rockford Corps...

I also know that there are plenty of people that no matter what Regiment does, look at the corps as

"not good enough for a championship" and thats fine.

We performed not for the gold but for crowd, the hearts of the fans, and

for ourselves....everytime.

SUTA

Edited by PRBuick56

Greg made a reasonable statement of fact. You asked what it would take for people to stop talking about how PR has no visual or a sub-par visual program. My answer: it will take consistency and a championship.

Hope that clears things up for you.

It's mostly perception. Whether it's accurate or not is highly debatable.

Cavaliers haven't won GE visual since 2004 (and I'm not 100% sure they won it then; I think they did, but it's possible it was BD). Cadets won in 2005 and PR won in 2006. However, Cavaliers still are setting the standard for visual design right now -- and they got beat the past two years!