With One Day Before the First Show

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll believe Regiment winning the title when I see it. They've come so close on so many occasions but been so far away. Last year's second place finish was the classic example of awesome music, but a show that cannot compete with the class of the visual dpt (Cavs). That's not to say Phantom's visual program is bad, because it isn't. But if they had a program which could have competed with Cavies, let alone beat it, they would have won last year outright.

Was Regiment up there last year, with the Cavies, in terms of visual design? No. Regiment beating Cavies in GE Visual was a travesty. Were the Cavies up there last year, with Regiment, in terms of musical design? No. Cavies beating Regiment in GE Music was a travesty. These are my opinions of course.

Judging is WAY TOO focused on visual design, and not focused enough on musical design and excution. And no one benefits from this more than the Cavaliers. I believe design should play a role, but I think it plays too big of a role. If you look at finals last year, based on execution, Phantom should have won - hands down! They were better than Cavies percussion wise, they executed better visually, and they should have taken top brass. The Cavies, IMO, are lacking in marching technique, and have big issues with phasing, that seemingly go un-noticed by the judging community based on their superior visual design.

This isn't a slam against the Cavies. I think they are right where they should be. I think they should have won outright in 2000, and also won their other titles, with the exception of 2001 and 2006.

Will Regiment win this year? Who knows. It certainly, after last night, looks like Vanguard is right up there. First is a possibility for Regiment, but so is 6th or 7th. You never know.

My 2 cents.

What is it going to take for people to drop this tired old line of Regiment having a subpar visual program that is keeping them from winning. They didn't win last year because the Cavies edged them out in a couple performance captions, not because they had "awesome music that couldn't compete with the class of the visual department." :laugh:

I'm sorry, compared to the Cavies, EVERYONE has a subpar visual program. But, at the same time, I think Cavies have a subpar musical program, especially compared to Regiment (last year).

Um, I addressed the claim that it was a "subpar visual program" that was keeping them from winning the championship, when it clearly was something else. Simply saying "well they haven't won" doesn't make any point at all; it still has nothing to do with their visual program (seeing as they won GE vis last year). When I start arguing along the lines of "what will it take for people to stop claiming Regiment can't win," then you can make your last post again, and it will actually make sense, rather than just being a bait and switch. :laugh:

It was a cracked up brass judge that cost the the title last year.

Regiment's Visual Program is "up to par" with "the top corps."

DCI Atlanta: 1st Visual GE - 3rd Visual Performance - 2nd Visual Ensemble

Quaterfinals: 3rd Visual GE - 1st Visual Performance - 1st Visual Ensemble

Finals: 1st Visual GE - 3rd Visual Performance - 2nd Visual Ensemble

I do not care if Regiment has won all the championships or even none at all...

I still love the corps (even before I marched)

I know there are alot of people who have total faith in THEIR Rockford Corps...

I also know that there are plenty of people that no matter what Regiment does, look at the corps as

"not good enough for a championship" and thats fine.

We performed not for the gold but for crowd, the hearts of the fans, and

for ourselves....everytime.

SUTA

I agree. My favorite shows are seldom ever the champion. My favorite corps, and consistently favorite shows, are Regiment, Vanguard, Crown, and of course Madison.

You guys were off the hook last year. AMAZING show!!!!

We've all had bad experiences with members, alumni, staff, and volunteers of other corps. What a wonderful thing that most of us realise that the individual does not always speak for the organization. I am sorry that you had such a "nasty" experience...how CLASSY you are by then turning around and using the word "skank" instead of showing that moral high ground you keep pretending to stand on.

I'll leave you to wallow in your superiority.

I wish I had been the one to come up with the skank comment. I have to say I thought it was humorous, after how those 2 young women acted. I think the reason I repeated it here, is it would be nice if one or both of those 2 women from PHANTOM SOUVIE BOOTH 2005 were able to see this comment, and realize that they probably cost Phantom at least $150 in souvie sales that summer. I always wondered if there were a corolation between the rudeness of the corps, and the fact they had a lawsuit filed against them for not repaying their loan that year. Maybe the people HAVE spoken. Of course, I have also wondered if their financial state was the reason DCI judges gave them overinflated scores the last 2 years.

I wish I had been the one to come up with the skank comment. I have to say I thought it was humorous, after how those 2 young women acted. I think the reason I repeated it here, is it would be nice if one or both of those 2 women from PHANTOM SOUVIE BOOTH 2005 were able to see this comment, and realize that they probably cost Phantom at least $150 in souvie sales that summer. I always wondered if there were a corolation between the rudeness of the corps, and the fact they had a lawsuit filed against them for not repaying their loan that year. Maybe the people HAVE spoken. Of course, I have also wondered if their financial state was the reason DCI judges gave them overinflated scores the last 2 years.

You're a disgusting human being. Great example to set for your children.

And the funny thing is...with every post you have made about this issue you've actually made it seem less and less like an ongoing Regiment problem and more like an axe to grind, particularly with comments like above. You've completely undermined your own point. Of course, what with your lack of intelligence, I doubt you realise that.

What a waste of space.

You're a disgusting human being. Great example to set for your children.

And the funny thing is...with every post you have made about this issue you've actually made it seem less and less like an ongoing Regiment problem and more like an axe to grind, particularly with comments like above. You've completely undermined your own point. Of course, what with your lack of intelligence, I doubt you realise that.

What a waste of space.

So you don't think rudeness from the souvie people can deter sales at all? Think again. My family and friends haven't shopped there in almost 2 years. The sad thing is I really wanted to support Phantom. There were 3 people from my town that marched in Phantom, so it was almost like our hometown corps. My cousins daughter went to school with 2 of them. She said one of them came home with a head so inflated, he couldn't hardly fit in the band room. The other one came from a very religious background, so luckily he was still the same wonderful person as when he went in. Last I heard, he was going to try to march Cavies or Bluecoats for his ageout season, he took a couple of years off to do some full time work in the summers.

I am sure glad you were able to point out my lack of intelligence, since marching Phantom probably made you one of the most intelligent people on the planet.

And it is funny, but all the years I have been around corps, I haven't seen the rudeness from any other corps. And I have been around it alot. But it seems to me like these such instances probably should be brought to light. All of the top notch corps, BD, SCV, Cadets, Cavies, have really pleasant people who don't knock the better scoring corps, or make fun of someone because of their sexuality, at least not in front of paying customers.

So you don't think rudeness from the souvie people can deter sales at all? Think again.

I don't believe I ever made this point. Reading.is.fundamental. Try again.

My family and friends haven't shopped there in almost 2 years.

It's a wonder Regiment hasn't completely folded due to the lack of YOUR support. It's almost...as if...they...have tons of other fans...that aren't overly sensitive prima donnas? Nah, that can't be it.

The sad thing is I really wanted to support Phantom.

Yeah, I can tell it kills you to make post after post after post slamming the organization. You've got roughly 100 posts to your name...if I could be bothered to count I would bet that fully a quarter of those posts are about this one incident from 2005. But sure...you're not obsessed.

She said one of them came home with a head so inflated, he couldn't hardly fit in the band room.

Well gosh, Wally! I'll bet that NEVER happens when kids from OTHER corps come home! Why don't you run along and play with the Beaver now?

I am sure glad you were able to point out my lack of intelligence, since marching Phantom probably made you one of the most intelligent people on the planet.

Corps don't make people more intelligent. However, I do thank my parents for producing an offspring that is capable of rational thought and not throwing blanket statements everywhere, or basing an opinion of an entire organization on the actions of a few. (Thanks Mom!)

And it is funny, but all the years I have been around corps, I haven't seen the rudeness from any other corps.

Hooray for blinders!

All of the top notch corps, BD, SCV, Cadets, Cavies, have really pleasant people who don't knock the better scoring corps, or make fun of someone because of their sexuality, at least not in front of paying customers.

There's no excuse for what you allege those two young ladies did. I certainly don't condone it. And considering that there has been a healthy gay population in Regiment over the years, both in the staff and in the members, I very much doubt they condone it either. After all, this is drum corps...there is a large gay population in corps, period...which is why I am finding it so difficult to believe you. But...assuming that you actually did overhear a couple of idiots saying stupid things, allow me to apologise to you on behalf of the entire Regiment organization.

What's that you say? I can't speak for an entire organization all on my lonesome?

Odd.