With One Day Before the First Show

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, because Capital Regiment is taking the year off....

Sorry, but there is only one Regiment

Greg made a reasonable statement of fact. You asked what it would take for people to stop talking about how PR has no visual or a sub-par visual program. My answer: it will take consistency and a championship.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Championship. See 1996

Consistency. See History of Regiment.

Until you stop looking at 1998-2002 and 2004, you will never agree with anyone who says that Regiment has a championship-caliber visual program. If I only looked at those years, I would agree with you.

However, lets look at the past 2 completed years. 2005 the new visual team came in (see Emmert Bros. and company). What was the visual placement in 2005? 3rd. What was the visual placement in 2006? 1st. 2005 might have been a shot in the dark. To me, 2006 proved they were for real. And if you need more proof, wait until August, its not a fluke. They have completely turned around what was a decent visual program (not like 2001-2004 was completely awful) in a matter of 2 years!!!

You will say that two years does not equal consistency. I might agree with that in most circumstances. But let's look behind the scenes too. The fact that their entire design team and caption heads are in their third year together speaks louder than the past 10 years of recent history to me. It tells me that as long as these guys stick together, they will be in the hunt for a long time to come.

Championship. See 1996

Consistency. See History of Regiment.

Until you stop looking at 1998-2002 and 2004, you will never agree with anyone who says that Regiment has a championship-caliber visual program. If I only looked at those years, I would agree with you.

However, lets look at the past 2 completed years. 2005 the new visual team came in (see Emmert Bros. and company). What was the visual placement in 2005? 3rd. What was the visual placement in 2006? 1st. 2005 might have been a shot in the dark. To me, 2006 proved they were for real. And if you need more proof, wait until August, its not a fluke. They have completely turned around what was a decent visual program (not like 2001-2004 was completely awful) in a matter of 2 years!!!

You will say that two years does not equal consistency. I might agree with that in most circumstances. But let's look behind the scenes too. The fact that their entire design team and caption heads are in their third year together speaks louder than the past 10 years of recent history to me. It tells me that as long as these guys stick together, they will be in the hunt for a long time to come.

So in those years to come, if PR can have a consistently great visual program, than people will shut up about it. But they only have two years under their belt of "a great visual program." I love PR, but their visual program is still not on par with the likes of the Cavaliers, BD, etc.

All in my opinion, of course.

Greg made a reasonable statement of fact. You asked what it would take for people to stop talking about how PR has no visual or a sub-par visual program. My answer: it will take consistency and a championship.

Hope that clears things up for you.

I asked specifically what it would take for people to stop pointing at Regiment's visual as the reason they can't win a title. I then pointed out that it clearly was not their visual that kept them from winning a title. Your response did not address this at all; rather you made some simple minded statement about them not winning.

Let's take this a step further. If a corps scored, hypothetically, perfectly in every single visual caption (GE, field, guard, ensemble), and then scored zeros in every music caption, would it make sense for someone to say "they don't have the visual program to win a title"? No, of course it wouldn't, and if the inanity of that statement was pointed out, and someone responded "they need to win a title for people not to think their visual program was subpar" well, it would be idiotic. Oh, wait, that's basically what you said. If you are going to be so flippantly arrogant, at least take some classes in basic logic. :worthy:

I asked specifically what it would take for people to stop pointing at Regiment's visual as the reason they can't win a title. I then pointed out that it clearly was not their visual that kept them from winning a title. Your response did not address this at all; rather you made some simple minded statement about them not winning.

Let's take this a step further. If a corps scored, hypothetically, perfectly in every single visual caption (GE, field, guard, ensemble), and then scored zeros in every music caption, would it make sense for someone to say "they don't have the visual program to win a title"? No, of course it wouldn't, and if the inanity of that statement was pointed out, and someone responded "they need to win a title for people not to think their visual program was subpar" well, it would be idiotic. Oh, wait, that's basically what you said. If you are going to be so flippantly arrogant, at least take some classes in basic logic. :worthy:

Would you like it better if we said that it's their music that is holding them back? I mean, they didn't win the Brass Caption or the GE Music caption last season, did they?

And winning GE Visual once does not equal a CONSISTENTLY strong visual program that a championship caliber corps should have.

Would you like it better if we said that it's their music that is holding them back? I mean, they didn't win the Brass Caption or the GE Music caption last season, did they?

And winning GE Visual once does not equal a CONSISTENTLY strong visual program that a championship caliber corps should have.

Well I guess in this context, it doesn't really make sense to say that any one caption is going to keep them back. I mean jesus, the way people talk around here you'd think Cavies blew everyone out of the water; it was extremely close between the top 3.

So, no, it wouldn't really make sense to say anything held any of the top 3 back; there were a couple small differences in a few captions, and that made the difference. It wasn't some huge program flaw, so to make the comment that any one issue is going to hold back any of the corps that scored in the top 3 last year is just silly. Sometimes corps just get outperformed, and there isn't anything deeper to it than that. There isn't always the need to make some broad proclamation in the form of "x is holding corps y back."

Well I guess in this context, it doesn't really make sense to say that any one caption is going to keep them back. I mean jesus, the way people talk around here you'd think Cavies blew everyone out of the water; it was extremely close between the top 3.

So, no, it wouldn't really make sense to say anything held any of the top 3 back; there were a couple small differences in a few captions, and that made the difference. It wasn't some huge program flaw, so to make the comment that any one issue is going to hold back any of the corps that scored in the top 3 last year is just silly. Sometimes corps just get outperformed, and there isn't anything deeper to it than that. There isn't always the need to make some broad proclamation in the form of "x is holding corps y back."

True.

And I hope Phantom Regiment does really well this year. But they'll always be second in my heart. (Sorry guys, The Cavaliers hold first.)

Sorry, but there is only one Regiment

Lake Erie Regiment?