With One Day Before the First Show

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that the Phantom Regiment did not win the brass trophy because of a cracked up judge???

Let's review:

Quarterfinals

High Brass Score - Phantom Regiment

Brass Judge - Albert Lo

In an unexpected switch, Albert Lo, a Phantom Regiment alumni, puts the Regiment up by a tenth(?) after putting The Cavaliers in first all season.

Semifinals

High Brass Score - The Cavaliers

Brass Judge - Steve Calhoun

If anyone can be counted on to put The Cavaliers out of a brass trophy, it's Steve Calhoun. But shockingly, he saw fit to put the boys in green up by a tenth.

Finals

High Brass Score - The Cavaliers

Brass Judge - Paul McGarr

Relative to his finals week colleagues, Paul McGarr is totally non-controversial. Which is why the .2 lead he gave The Cavaliers in brass is the most reliable placement of the top two hornlines for the entire championship week.

So which one is supposed to be the cracked up judge? Surely not Paul McGarr. His judging integrity is light years beyond the other two. Maybe you meant Steve Calhoun, in which case, I can't totally disagree. His judging history is a tinderbox of bias and poor number management. But even if he had done exactly the opposite, The Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment still would have tied for brass. So that leaves Albert Lo, and I'm sure you didn't mean him since he had Regiment up to begin with. Yet, his behavior is equally questionable. He had The Cavaliers up, by no small margin, all season. Then, only days later, the Phantom Regiment alumni puts the home team up. Hmmm...

So which one did you mean?

Ummm...

Hate to break up your magic tea party, but Albert Lo apparantely wasn't judging at Quarterfinals. Some guy named A.Cook was judging brass that evening. Here's the link.

P.S. I would like to also add - great post Eric!

Edited by SpookyKid

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gulp = bias, no?

gulp = sarcasm, yes. Bias.. no. Try reading the whole sentence.

No...gulp = she knew you were going to call it bias :worthy:

:) We don't always agree but every once in a while you really hit the nail on the head.

Thanks.

Stef

:) We don't always agree but every once in a while you really hit the nail on the head.

Thanks.

Stef

Sometimes when youre using a sledgehammer and the nail is that big...its hard to miss :P

So which one is supposed to be the cracked up judge? Surely not Paul McGarr. His judging integrity is light years beyond the other two.

Paul is a very good friend of mine. :)

Sometimes when youre using a sledgehammer and the nail is that big...its hard to miss :P

well at least I got the set up down.. would you mind following me around with a sledgehammer?

:worthy:

:worthy:

oh.. waitaminnit.. :laugh:

Stef

If you would like to discuss your concerns about the souvie sales team, please feel free to contact me directly at eric@regiment.org

Email me a phone number to contact you either during business hours or in the evening. I would like to hear your concern.

I have been with the corps for three years as an instructor and the last 6 months as the development director. This past Friday before we left town, we had a sales meeting and our new (first year) staff were informed that they are representatives of the organization at all places and times over the summer. They have are to have no editorial opinions about other corps, placements, or other drum corps related opinions. They are to do their best to act as a professional sales arm to the Phantom Regiment organization. They will be reminded of this on a regular basis throughout the season.

So that you know, there is a brand new team here this year. They are educated young women that I talk to on a regular basis and I am sure that they will treat fans with respect. They are supervised by a 20+ year volunteer that is aware of the level of professionalism that we expect of everybody on the road.

I sent you a PM yesterday to contact me and now extend my offer to speak with you here in public. Email me and I will call you back the day I receive your email.

Please bring your concern directly to me.

Eric Sabach

Great post, Eric.

And I hope it puts an end to his stuck button.

But I won't be betting on it.

Still....the biggest olive branch in the world has just been extended by a member of the organization. I sure hope he takes it.

this has always amused me. As good as the cavaliers brass has seemed since 2000, they have exactly 2 brass titles to their name. The blue devils still own the caption as far as I'm concerned, and cadets usually win brass about once every 5 years...but this so-called brass dominance has never existed.

Well that's the point we're trying to make....its all perception.

Whether they have the best brass or not...people go along with the assumption that they do since they win so often.

And I never said the Cavaliers hornline was dominant...but people definitely give them a lot more respect now than they ever did in the mid 90s. Back then...all you ever heard about was the drumline and the visual program.