Americanos

I found this on the corps Site.

Hi All,

I have been anxiously waiting for this day to come, when I can finally give you all an indication of where the Americanos Organization will be headed for the future. As you all are aware, the Americanos have been inactive for the past two years primarily due to financial reasons. The main causes of our financial woes were #1, the demands that are now placed on a touring drum corps due to lack of local shows. There used to be at least 15ish shows in Wisconsin alone and now there are maybe 4. In 2004, we were kind of forced to go all the way to Texas in order to get any kind of performance opportunities at all in the first part of the season. That together with the cost of vehicles, fuel, insurance, drivers, housing and the list could go on, the Organization simply could not continue to play the DCI game. #2, our bingo program had seen a drastic decline in revenues and could no longer keep up with the increasing financial demands, some of this due to the Indian gaming and the restrictions that we have to adhere to by State Law.

One other reason for some of these things was also the decline in “local” membership. This is something that kind of got lost in the big picture and is something that is very important for the survival of any corps in the division II/III levels. For those of you that have kept up with DCI and what it is evolving into you may know that the top 12ish corps really don’t have much of a local base, but are more run to be big money, big business. Some of the elites have staff budgets that are close to or exceed our entire operating budget. DCI today in my opinion is a place where the strong get stronger and the smaller budget corps get left by the side of the road to die. 10 years ago there were at least 20 Division II/III corps in the Midwest, now there are TWO!! There are maybe a total of 30 division II/III corps left in the country. A trend I personally do not wish to see, but it is the reality of what is happening in drum corps today. There are several corps that disappear every year including some top division I corps.

Enough about that, I could go on forever but that’s not going to do any of us any good. For the past two years we have been working hard to erase all of our debt and put us in a situation where we can forge ahead into the future. We will be at that point in roughly two more months. Yes, all of our debt will be cleared up and now that bingo has been on an upward trend, we will be able to become active again. Also, in an effort to put us in an even better picture we have decided to put our current facility on the market and hopefully find a buyer. This will get us out from the mortgage and hopefully put a sum of money in our checkbook. Our current building is way too big for our needs and the costs of maintaining it are no longer justified. If this building sells we will be relocating our bingo and office to a more suitable situation and location.

At our last Board meeting on June 11th, we have decided to move ahead in our plans for the future. Starting this fall, we will be launching our new programs. For 2008, we will have a competitive winter drum line and a competitive summer parade ensemble. Both of these programs will be targeting the “local” youth from the Fox River Valley. We will also be holding several percussion and color guard clinics throughout the year, again targeting the “local” youth.

We have also at this time hired an individual to serve as the Program Director for all youth programs. Julie Woodbury was officially hired on Monday and is already preparing for our new programs to kick off this fall. Julie has a long list of experience in music education, high school marching bands and drum corps. She is currently the Concert and Marching Percussion Ensembles Director at Xavier High School in Appleton and at West DePere High School in DePere. She also holds a B.S. in Technical Management from DeVry University and is currently pursuing a Masters of Public Administration in Non-Profit Arts with anticipated graduation in October 2007.

Looking ahead to 2009, we are tentatively planning the addition of a second winter drum line (kind of like a junior varsity team) and an independent winter color guard, along with the summer parade ensemble.

As you may have noticed, I have not mentioned anything regarding a “drum and bugle corps”. At this time we do not have the desire to pursue a competitive touring drum and bugle corps, mainly due to amount of financial resources it would take, and actually if you’ve been following drum corps today they are really playing trumpets and other b flat instruments. Instead we are going to form and provide programs that will directly effect the “local” youth of the Fox River Valley. With that in mind we have also decided to change the name of the organization from Americanos Drum and Bugle Corps, Inc. to simply Americanos, Inc. Serving as the umbrella corporation, Americanos Inc. will oversee and produce “Americanos Indoor Percussion Ensemble”, “Americanos Winter Guard”, “Americanos Parade Ensemble” and maybe some day once again the “Americanos Drum and Bugle Corps”.

I personally feel that this is what is best for the organization, and I am anxious to get underway this fall. Our goal for 2008 membership is 34 in the winter drum line and at least 80 in the summer parade ensemble. That’s a total of 114 “local” Fox River Valley youth that will have a positive educational experience in the “new” Americanos! And things can only get better from here.

Please, as always, know that your help and participation is welcomed and encouraged. As Alumni, it IS your organization too, and we all should share the responsibility to the future!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and as always if you have any questions, concerns or input please e-mail me anytime at viva@new.rr.com

VIVA AMERICANOS!!!

Butch Kolosso

President, Americanos B.O.D.

Although I would be lying if I said that I wasn't dissappointed that the Americanos Drum Corps will not be touring in the near future - I'm excited to see their organization forge ahead into the future. The Americanos will still be entertaining, engaging youth and educating them...isn't that whats important?

I can't stand Butch...this is whiny, eager to blame others, and aboslutely does not state that they are moving towards fielding, in fact, it states quite the opposite. This note spends entirely to much time discussing what others are doing - the opperating budget of a division 1 corps has no bearing on the 'canos. Whatever happened to worrying about things you can control, and making your own product better?

Frankly, they need to scrap the current board, and find an open minded director that actually wants to field a corps. At present, it is very unlikely that the corps will field in the future. I post these comments here, because they would not even be permitted to appear on the 'Canos alumni forum - Butch would have them removed. Let's face it - Bingo is NOT the way to finance a corps, it is unreliable at best and the group is at the mercy of the gaming laws of the county/state. Star left their model up on their page for all to see - for crying out loud, dare to be different and get involved in something that will raise real income. If you never do anything different, you will never get anything different than what you always got.

Viva Freedom of Speech

Edited by raphael18

In regards to Brandon, an organization is better than nothing. It's something that the eastern part of Wisconsin in regards to the marching arts in general, not just drum corps.

I am happy for Julie, I remember seeing her around North Star Circuit/WSMA shows for my high school years. I think she will make this whole thing work. :)

I can't stand Butch...this is whiny, eager to blame others, and aboslutely does not state that they are moving towards fielding, in fact, it states quite the opposite. This note spends entirely to much time discussing what others are doing - the opperating budget of a division 1 corps has no bearing on the 'canos. Whatever happened to worrying about things you can control, and making your own product better?

Frankly, they need to scrap the current board, and find an open minded director that actually wants to field a corps. At present, it is very unlikely that the corps will field in the future. I post these comments here, because they would not even be permitted to appear on the 'Canos alumni forum - Butch would have them removed. Let's face it - Bingo is NOT the way to finance a corps, it is unreliable at best and the group is at the mercy of the gaming laws of the county/state. Star left their model up on their page for all to see - for crying out loud, dare to be different and get involved in something that will raise real income. If you never do anything different, you will never get anything different than what you always got.

Viva Freedom of Speech

I understand completely. This is the best news that has come from them in over a year. I just hope they stick to it. Even though they are not looking at fielding a corps, it is not saying they are done for good.They are finally realizing they need to start working on gaining local support. I was shocked to read this, infact the rumor was they were planning to permanently disband. Julie has A LOT of work to do but seeing that they have an Appleton school on board is a really good sign. My hope is that they go with an Academy approach to things. By gaining local support they will allow a successful out come. I live in the Appleton area, and no one knows the Americanos still exist. It is probaly a good idea that you stay away from the forum. I merely brought up suggestions and was shunned for it. It was basicly there way or the highway. Guess where I am. Highway 441. :laugh: <**>

Edited by dcf06

Viva Freedom of Speech

Thanks for your well thought out post. This kind of support will keep the Americanos from completely going under. Moron.

Thanks for your well thought out post. This kind of support will keep the Americanos from completely going under. Moron.

How much do you really know about it? Hit the books before you start calling names, because there are some serious issues up there. I'm just saying that:

1) Who cares what other corps are doing if you haven't cleanned your own house yet (this is the first thing corps rookies are taught).

2) Bingo is NOT a reliable source of income

3) Corps are not local anymore - there is simply not enough people of adequate interest or talent in the Fox Valley area. It is not exactly Texas, there are not 500 piece bands around there. In 02 we did a national tour - with a hornline that was made-up of people from all over the country (the Wisconsin people made up half at most, and there were only a handful that were actually from Appleton).

4) Butch...yeah.

I am not saying this new person isn't great, because I don't know her - but I do know that they need to quite operating like it is the freaking 80s.

Helpful ideas:

1) Embrace the new models set out by corps that are thriving and newer corps instead of complaining that they have way more money (there is a reason they have way more money).

2) Find another source of income besides bingo - todays director/board don't even need to be music people, they need to be business smart people with a business plan for the future.

3) Agressively recruit in Wisconsin for sure, but also venture outside the immediate area. We always had a lot of people from Green Bay and Michigan. If they really do feel that a div 1 corps is the only viable option - then build up the resources through fnd raising (and not ostrisizing the alumni) and field a larger corps.

4) Sure, the corps may not have been the strongest when Joe was the director - but at least we had a good staff, we were very competetive (no matter how little talent we had), and the members were generally happy.

So, before you start calling me names - know that I have thought about this, and discussed it with other alumni from across the country. We all agree on one thing - Butch is a (insert your favorite explative).

Is that well thought out enough for you?

3) Corps are not local anymore - there is simply not enough people of adequate interest or talent in the Fox Valley area. It is not exactly Texas, there are not 500 piece bands around there. In 02 we did a national tour - with a hornline that was made-up of people from all over the country (the Wisconsin people made up half at most, and there were only a handful that were actually from Appleton).

I agree - When going to several of Scouts camps over the winter, I was shocked that they only had a couple people from Wisconsin. It's not just the smaller corps that have problems attracting local talent.