What officially constitutes Vanguard "being back"?

When they have that Gail Royer fire in their eyes again. Yeah, I'm old school, so sue me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, as an alum, "being back" means being in the hunt for the title. Up until 1990 (save 1980), SCV was always in the Top 3 of DCI. THAT is my gauge - SCV in the Top 3.

When they placed in the Top 3 in 2004 I almost wet my pants! b**bs :laugh:

bingo...

I don't think they were ever gone. My rationale is that I can't think of a single year when the corps didn't exhibit the qualities that I fell in love with when I was a kid.

Of course, there are years when the talent has been down, but honestly, those are the years that the kids seem to really exemplify what SCV means to me... SCV 93 and 2005 are some of the lowest years I can remember in terms of talent, but boy did those corps have PASSION and HEART.

Now when SCV has that passion and heart along with TALENT...Boy! It's a beautiful thing to behold.

Go SCV!!!

I always equated Vanguard in the top 3...I don't think they've been anywhere, they're successful in the fact that they're always in the top 12.

I think when they bring Tradition back.....Everyone always talks about SCV being all about tradition which in many ways they still are....But over these past few years watching them ....I think they're trying to hard to put something new on the field and it turns out bad for them and thats why they're not in the top 3 anymore. SCV's shows were always bomb'n when it was loud,fast, and traditional.

What ever it may be I hope SCV does great this year.

As an SCV Alum, annually contending for a title is being back for me.

It's also important for each member as well as the group to maximize their performance capability.

Precisely! To paraphrase the great Charlie Anderson: Placement ("Top 3" or "Top 5" or whatever) is an external representation of an internal event; it's the internal event that I'm interested in.

Contending for the title, year in and year out, with everyone maxing out on Finals night (actually, maxing out every night to their ability on that night), is "being back."

And there's a huge qualitative difference between surging at the end into third and having third be more or less the worst-case scenario.

you're basing Vanguard being "back" after one freakin show???

what if they lose tonight by 4 points... are they still "back"???????

base it on the finals placement at the end of the season... 5th place or better, and they're back. 6th and lower? no.

Well, for me, I don't care if they get 12th on finals night. They're still "back" for me.