US Open Memories

I was there on the 50 yard line at that '73 U.S. Open. Purple was very strong that year, and they were pretty good the year before, too. And we all know about '74!

Yes, indeed, Auburn was a powerhouse from 1972-1974 although most people only remember 1974!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brassman, I agree. You had a lot to be proud of in Blue Rock. I miss them.

I must say I did not mean to open a can of worms with my post about BR. It was just my impression as a 14 - 15 year old kid from Manhattan back in the mid sixties. I believe we only competed against them maybe twice in 1971 and I can only remember once in 1972 at the CYO Nationals. By then of course they could have mellowed out with the influx of a different group of kids.

And by rich I meant being middle class and from the suburbs of Wilmington during the sixties made those kids just a tad better off than kids from the five boroughs of New York City if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I wasn't being mean, I was just reflecting on my feelings. I tip my hat to anyone who marched pre DCI. It was a glorious time for all the young (and we had some ten and eleven year olds in St. Joe's back before A. D. D. was invented!) men and women who participated. And like the old song says: "Be true to your school"

And BTW, I was there in the stands, too at 1973 U. S. Open and the Purple Lancers looked very good at that show.

Mea Culpa - no more negative vibes.

Puppet

I would bet on my memory saying that the Purple Lancers were in the top 3 in brass that night. That was the strength of the corps for sure...crispy clean. Crown Imperial March, Russian Sailors Dance, Power to the People et al.

The first year we went was 1972. It was the most influential moment for me. I remember participating in a show in Bellefontaine, OH before and seeing Beverly Cardinals, Marion Cadets and others. We went to a corps party at a ski lodge, made friends with the Buckeyes.

We spent a few days at a closed school with the Greece Cadets and rehearsed in the playground. I remember rehearsing the concert cut. Back then corps had a time limit so most corps cut out their concert numbers. We did prelims, didn't do to bad. That night we went to A class/All-Girl finals and saw Etobicoke Crusaders, Mello Dears, St. John's Girls (who won) and Capitolaires and then the next day went to Open Class prelims. I remember seeing St Patrick's, Racine Scouts, and everybody else. It was a great time that day!

The other years we stayed at a Fire Hall and one year at a Catholic school. One of our sops mooned some girls walking by and then farted (by mistake) which got us all laughing and farting as well. Quite a symphony!

YOU have GOT to be kidding me, I'm FROM Bellefontaine, i'm 17 though and was not alive back then. Still crazy to hear our towns name.

YOU have GOT to be kidding me, I'm FROM Bellefontaine, i'm 17 though and was not alive back then. Still crazy to hear our towns name.

You should watch the old W.C. Fields movie "The Old Fashioned Way". It takes place in Bellefontaine, and he mentions the name quite often.

You probably have heard that Bellefontaine was home to both the Satan's Angels Jr. and Sr. corps way back.

You should watch the old W.C. Fields movie "The Old Fashioned Way". It takes place in Bellefontaine, and he mentions the name quite often.

You probably have heard that Bellefontaine was home to both the Satan's Angels Jr. and Sr. corps way back.

yup, one of which merged with Glory cadets, right?

Bellefontaine had a great show right before US Open every year. Wish I had scores from that year...think it was 1972. Nice stadium too from what I remember.