• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they used narration?

:master:

Choo....Chooo :P

And for the record, I thought the narration was the least of the design problems in Cadets' show last year.

We have a winner

Why is when the cadets use narration everyone tears them apart but when other corps use it they are more like eh its ok?

So, in trying to rationally respond to the thread in the spirit it was presented....

First of all, I'm not so sure your premise is correct. Crown took a beating on these boards for the Bohemia show. Also, Boston for the colors narration, Seattle (was that last year or the year before?) and BD for the dance marathon to name a couple more that got some negative feedback (to say the least !!!).

The Cadets get particularly singled out for a couple of reasons, imo:

1) Like it or not, because of Mr. Hopkins attachment to the rule passage in the first place, his corps is going to be more open to scrutiny than others. Mainly because, as the rule usage finds it's level of acceptance, all eyes are naturally going to be on him (and by extension, the Cadets) to see where he intends to "push" this change.

2) The Cadets have also been rather forceful in their usage of narration. The micced solo singing, the drumspeak, the lenghty narration this year -- without respect to whether you think it worked or not, it's hard not see that they have "pushed the envelope" more than other corps consistently over the last three years since the rule was passed. Boston used it once, not again. Crown used it that one year. BD used it often one year, sparingly the next. But the Cadets have increased usage each year, building on their previous years usage and trying new things in the process. Like it or hate it, you have to admit that this is going to open them up to criticism (positive and negative).

Obviously, there may be other, more personal reasons why some focus on the Cadets, but I do believe that not all criticism in this area is because of bias but extends naturally based on the reasons I have given. All IMHO, of course ....

Edited by Liam

Choo....Chooo :P

:master:

What about when crown sang in 04 and 05 when BD narrated the show.

I can't really speak as to Crown, because I don't honestly remember, but I DO remember A LOT of criticism directed toward the Blue Devils in 2005 regarding their narration. I actually believe it got more of a negative rap than any of the narration/amplification done by the Cadets that year.

Apparently you're choosing not to read all the posts in your own thread...
First of all, I'm not so sure your premise is correct. Crown took a beating on these boards for the Bohemia show. Also, Boston for the colors narration, Seattle (was that last year or the year before?) and BD for the dance marathon to name a couple more that got some negative feedback (to say the least !!!).

Can't believe I got another post in before closure!

Edited by skajerk

What about it? .... Read my response just two above yours in which I said this ....

(Sorry for quoting myself -- looks like Randy beat me too it anyway!!! :master: )

Edited by Liam