Another narration topic

when i posted this i was talking about any type of narration using a mic. just to clarify. the little pieces that the bluecoats use to the cadets big pieces.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, to the OP, remember that the Blue Devils got nailed by many fans in 2005 for their Dance Derby show. Many have been critical of Crown and Boston as well, and there are those who are worried about the Bluecoats usage of it this year. So it's not all Cadets, it just so happens that the Cadets do more of it, they have an outspoken director who flaunts the new, innovative approach (as he sees it), and that coupled with his rules proposals will buy you the criticism. Hoppy is a big boy and he knows what he is getting into, and while I do not support his logic with some of those rules proposals, and I sure can't stand the narration in the Cadets show, I am aware that he and his staff have come into this knowing full well what the ramifications would be.

I wouldn't call what the Bluecoats are doing "narration." They have comments like "Freeze," "Drop your weapons," and "anything you play can and will be used against you," or something to that effect; and those are phrases that actually work within the show context, they are used sparingly, and they happen at moments where there is no conflict between the words and the music. However, there will be those who simply do not like any type of spoken word, especially amped, and I can understand that, so I know the Bluecoats will take some criticism as well.

On top of everything else I mentioned, the Cadets not only flood their show with narration, but their message is a goopy, self-help inspired, "we are the world" message that comes across as preachy and Stuart Smalley. I feel I have to say to myself "I am special, I like me...gosh I'm worthy and needed," after I watch their show.

And for all that I really like their music and drill. They will be an excellent corps and I wish them luck.

JW

What about when crown sang in 04 and 05 when BD narrated the show.

Both those shows got trashed on DCP, and Nik is right, BD got it worse than Cadets in 2005.

Cadets are getting it even more so this year because:

1. The amount of narration

2. They are repeat offenders - BD and Crown both backed off after the backlash.

when i posted this i was talking about any type of narration using a mic. just to clarify. the little pieces that the bluecoats use to the cadets big pieces.
Wait... what were those things that Crown was singing into? Oh yeah, mics. Sorry, you won't be getting any sympathy from me re: Cadets or anyone else who chooses to use narration/singing/wailing.

And another one before closure. I'm on a roll!

Edited by skajerk

ok here is a question for you...had the Cadets won last year, do you think the criticism would be more, less, or about the same for this years' show??

I think it would have cooled down this year. Part of why people are angry is, as was mentioned before, The Cadets are a great drum corps and some people see putting a show out there like this has no chance of winning and therefore they are upset they aren't doing as well as they could competitively. Had they won last year, I think some of that heat would be off of them because they would have proven narration a winner two years running.

Well, there's your answer right there ...

"little pieces" = little criticism

"big pieces" = big criticism

ok here is a question for you...had the Cadets won last year, do you think the criticism would be more, less, or about the same for this years' show??

I think it would have cooled down this year. Part of why people are angry is, as was mentioned before, The Cadets are a great drum corps and some people see putting a show out there like this has no chance of winning and therefore they are upset they aren't doing as well as they could competitively. Had they won last year, I think some of that heat would be off of them because they would have proven narration a winner two years running.

Maybe, but the argument can be made that in order for them to have won, they would have had to have done the narration/singing/etc better (meaning in a way that enhanced rather than detracted from GE). So of course how people would view last years show done better, vs last year's show as is would be different. I don't doubt that eventually, someone will produce a kicka**, winning show WITH what would now be considered a lot of narration, and the view of narration will change forever after that show. Last year's Cadets show as is was not that, imo.

Edited by Liam

I would be more upset had they won, since other corps would follow suit. I think Cadets going overboard with narration and placing 5th last year provided a point of caution for a lot of show designers, but apparently not those at Cadets.

What about when crown sang in 04 and 05 when BD narrated the show.

Are you kidding ?? The "Crownies" ripped me a new one, and my BD friends, my brothers and sisters of BD-Mega-fandom tried to throw me out of the BD lovers club.. Narration, to me, in my opinion, is never ok, the less the better.

~G~

Are you kidding ?? The "Crownies" ripped me a new one, and my BD friends, my brothers and sisters of BD-Mega-fandom tried to throw me out of the BD lovers club.. Narration, to me, in my opinion, is never ok, the less the better.

~G~

well...theres something to be said for consistency

And he's right, if you were on these boards the past to years, you would have seen those corps getting slammed. Noone cares anymore because we have a real and current season to worry about (thank god)