• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waiting

waiting

waiting

Where the heck is Tom Brace? :P

(a joke)

YOU ROCK!

Nothing like a little "TB" to ruin your day....

If we want to see new faces in the top 12, then some mainstay Corps are going to have to bite the bullet now and then. People keep saying that they want to see new faces ( Corps ) emerge, but then they bemoan Corps that are replaced in those standings that they held in the top 12 for years and years. Simply put, we can't have it both ways. Looks like we might have some new blood in the top 12 this year if the staff at Madison can't get this year's Madison's score up pretty quickly. But Madison ( like other good Corps with great traditions ) have fallen on tough competitive times before, and yet have came back stonger again in succeeeding years. I suspect Madison will again too.

You make a good point, but I think this is different. Let's separate healthy league parity with unhealthy organizational upheaval. If it's *just* a competitive concern, amen, let them end where they will. I just don't like seeing such a dramatic change in the competitiveness of a corps after having such a difficult off-season. It sends up red flags...

Let us not forget where Madison placed in 2002.

It wasn't all THAT long ago!

So, based on this. Realistically, how many times should we truly expect Madison to make top six from now on? I say, out of every ten years, they should realistically make the top six three times.

Think about it. Don't wear your Madison tshirt when you do. Should folks be in such an uproar with a 9th place finish (which followed two eights and a six)? Are expectations too high for Madison?

Just something to think about.

Those of us who have been around a bit longer than you young 'uns have trouble with this reasoning. In the 34 years of DCI competition, Madison has finished sixth or higher 23 times. That's sixty-eight percent of the time they were sixth or above. Their average placement for those 34 years is 6.14, not much lower than Cavaliers 5.40, Cadets 5.60, and Regiments 5.71. So, yes, expectations for Madison remain high for us old fogeys. Though they were not in the top three often, they were generally in the top six.

This is why the slide you have pointed out since 2000 is so startling to those of us who Madison beat the tar out of. It goes contrary to all previous history. It is a matter of great concern and I can understand why alumni are worried. I feel for Madison and wish them the best as they try to re-establish the consistancy that we grew to expect from them.

the myspace thing is weird. however, if that somehow did come from the actual corps officially, then that might be a good thing. I know you're all thinking I'm crazy. but think about it. I'm sure the corps isn't happy. maybe getting scored so low will have a positive effect on the corps as a whole for the rest of the season. It may just light a fire under everyone's ###es. I'm sure they are working hard, and I'd give anything to be there if I could, but I think it's gonna take an extra push. If they're putting in 100% effort, bump it up t 110%. I don't think they'll stay down for too long. as much as competition doesn't matter to some, I bet it does to many of the kids whether they say it does or not. Getting beat always upset me enough to the point where I would not allow myself to ever slip below what I had previously done, and I have a feeling we'll start seeing that from the Men from Madison very shortly. with that, will come most importantly an increased level of confidence and entertainment, but also an increase in score. good luck madison.

the myspace thing is weird. however, if that somehow did come from the actual corps officially, then that might be a good thing. I know you're all thinking I'm crazy. but think about it. I'm sure the corps isn't happy. maybe getting scored so low will have a positive effect on the corps as a whole for the rest of the season. It may just light a fire under everyone's ###es. I'm sure they are working hard, and I'd give anything to be there if I could, but I think it's gonna take an extra push. If they're putting in 100% effort, bump it up t 110%. I don't think they'll stay down for too long. as much as competition doesn't matter to some, I bet it does to many of the kids whether they say it does or not. Getting beat always upset me enough to the point where I would not allow myself to ever slip below what I had previously done, and I have a feeling we'll start seeing that from the Men from Madison very shortly. with that, will come most importantly an increased level of confidence and entertainment, but also an increase in score. good luck madison.

You're right, you're crazy! :P There is absolutely nothing good, nothing motivational about that post. Your basic assumption has to be that the problem is with the kids and that they need that proverbial fire lit. I HIGHLY doubt that is the case. That post from the self appointed official is pathetic, at best IMHO.

the myspace thing is weird. however, if that somehow did come from the actual corps officially, then that might be a good thing. I know you're all thinking I'm crazy. but think about it. I'm sure the corps isn't happy. maybe getting scored so low will have a positive effect on the corps as a whole for the rest of the season.

Ask anyone whose corps had an "off season" about whether it helped the corps during the season. For a corps staff member to say something to members on tour is one thing, but to intentionally bait others, alarm any non-believers, and publicly make a spectacle of a quality organization is another.

Let me use a different approach (regardless of what your politics are). What if President Bush told our troops the same message; "you are humiliating--don't worry, next year will be better with new members, etc.? Would it have the same positive effect on our soldiers that you suggest?

Elmo Blatch

the myspace thing is weird. however, if that somehow did come from the actual corps officially...

it didn't. I know him personally and am incredibly ###### off at him right now. he in no way speaks on behalf of the corps.