Madison Scouts 2007

If that MySpace bulletin is official, it's something I never thought I'd hear from the Madison Scouts.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that MySpace bulletin is official, it's something I never thought I'd hear from the Madison Scouts.

That Myspace bulletin is NOT official. I know all the guys on the administrative staff

of the Corps, and none of them would have allowed or condoned a statement like this.

Cut the Scouts some slack! They have basically a completely brand new staff and percussion section as well as a very young corps proper. So far they are holding their own and will be just fine by seasons' end, when it counts the most. I am certain we can also look forward for bigger and better things from them in the not too distant future as well.

Edited by morganhill

Maybe we could give them a couple of weeks on the road and all together before we completely write them off. I remember Suncoast Sound '89. The started in the low to mid 50s and ended up breaking 90 at semi-finals. Scouts are starting out better than Suncoast did. Oh and '89 was a pretty competitive year too. Have faith!

Indeed. I saw Suncoast on July 15, 1989. They were 3.1 points behind Crossmen and 5.9 points behind Spirit of Atlanta.

Spirit ended up in 14th with an 82.2 at Semifinals (where Crossmen scored an 85.8 to get into finals by being just 3 tenths above Dutch Boy) and Suncoast broke 90 that night for the one and only time that season (90.2 and 9th place). That was in just over a month's time. So, it CAN be done.

Having said that, losing Visual Ensemble and Percussion to Southwind would be a troubling sign for Madison Scouts. I am not sure people should cut them any slack at all. They ousted the director and staff in the offseason, right? That, to me, means they were clearly intending to upgrade those areas. If they never get it together, I would think that indicates the Board made a huge mistake.

Edited by Tekneek

Sure there is

Scouts

Alumni Project + Dwinding Finances - Sal Salas x 1980's design team = low, low scores in 2007

Troopers

Year Off + Bluecoast West Design Team x active recruiting / legacy used in a positive way = solid start for a corps that didn't compete in 06

If there is one thing I have learned in this activity, it is that there is no rhyme or reason to anything and that there is no mathmatical equation that would allow one to predict or assume how corps will do.

DW

They ousted the director and staff in the offseason, right? That, to me, means they were clearly intending to upgrade those areas. If they never get it together, I would think that indicates the Board made a huge mistake.

I heard the reason sal was let go of was because the corp was in financial trouble and they didnt feel he was the best man for the job of turning it around. I thought Sal was a great director in alot of way too and very creative but maybe his forte isn;t money mangement.

But now the new people I hear have a strong plan to get out of the debt and build for the future stability. Higher placement will come with time - maybe or maybe not this year, but it will eventualy, and long term health of the organization has to be first priority.and placement second.

Edited by Steven Rocco

it didn't. I know him personally and am incredibly ###### off at him right now. he in no way speaks on behalf of the corps.

You might want to inform him that he should be looking for a cease and desist letter in the near future.

I heard the reason sal was let go of was because the corp was in financial trouble and they didnt feel he was the best man for the job of turning it around. I thought Sal was a great director in alot of way too and very creative but maybe his forte isn;t money mangement.

But now the new people I hear have a strong plan to get out of the debt and build for the future stability. Higher placement will come with time - maybe or maybe not this year, but it will eventualy, and long term health of the organization has to be first priority.and placement second.

Thanks for the response. I have apparently overlooked the financial implications of the removal of Sal and others.

It's not unreasonable, IMO, to think they will not make it to Saturday night this year (at this point), but as long as this is working financially they may get it right. If they are still not getting the money right, they won't be bouncing right back.

Edited by Tekneek