Riverside, CA (6/22) review

Disclaimer: I caught all ten corps this evening (yes, I said 10), but also cooked all day for the Vanguard (CLUE: Vanguard alumni, move your friggin' ### and volunteer, I was the only alum out of 12 cooks) so I'm a little tired. Also, I have a rather strong bias between BD and SCV. If you read my review, you'll have to accept that bias along with it.

Div. III

Velvet Knights - Yes, they're back! No, not the VK of old that we're all use to, but they're back nonetheless. Sneakers, black shorts, red sweatshirts, sunglasses and black caps. About 52 members in all. Their equipment truck apparently caught on fire, so they used borrowed equipment tonight. There's not much humor in their show yet, and they stood still for their closer. I think they should merge with Mystikal and Impulse and form one large corps, but that's just my opinion. One of their tunes was Magical Mystery Tour - brought back some memories. Lots of VK alumni in the stands tonight yelling things like "2 COOL VK!" which I'm not sure if these kids understand.

Hawthorne Gold - they are large and look very sharp. But they don't produce a lot of volume (less than VK). I almost felt like they were their high schools summer band program or something.

Mystikal - I think they've shrunk since last year. Their colorguard was very good with lots of difficult work. Their guard was the same size as their hornline.

Impulse - They've taken the "funny" right out of their corps this season and are playing very serious music. Funny works better for them.

So Cal Dream (senior corps) - very good volume considering the size of their hornline. (And no, I don't want to join them - I only march in my "old age" when the Vanguard beckons).

Div. I

The Academy - I agree with their placement tonight. I feel they should place anywhere from 17 - 12 come Pasadena. I liked the southwest theme of their show last year better, but this is still a good show. Lots of dynamic range, and a drill that will certainly challenge them. Their colorguard was much better prior to the last two years - not sure what happened there (staff change?). Their opener was very "bleep blop" which is not my favorite kind of music, but they were able to sell me on their swing section. Also, they seemed a little trumpet heavy.

Pacific Crest - Although I enjoy their jazzy Las Vegas theme, the narration (yes, they have quite a bit) was not necessary. Their closer sums up their show nicely. They have one big glaring problem though - no dynamics in their show. It's all LOUD just like the Blue Devils (see below). Very boring after the first 3 minutes or so. It loses your attention, literally (or perhaps I was just tired after working on Miss Amana all day?).

Mandarins - First thing I noticed - the entire corps is very orange! The colorguard is wearing this orange shiny costume and they are a flag unto themselves. High energy level and good flag colors throughout the show. They never seem to march a full size corps though.

Blue Devils - You could tell they were ###### at successive loses to the Vanguard (Heaven forbid!). They performed their show better than anyone else on the field tonight. They had some cool "ripple" drill moves in the opener, and cool bat wings on the colorguard. The rest of their show? LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD and still more LOUD. Do they even know what pianissimo is?? This "all loud show" won't hold a candle to the superb dynamics of classical music presented by the Phantom Regiment and Vanguard this season. BD's drumline was very tight - they sounded like only a handful of drummers though, even though I could see a full battery. Peculiar?

Santa Clara Vanguard - still no closer tonight gang, even though I did get to see it in their runthrough this afternoon. I've been told they might perform it Saturday night. Vanguard had some glaring visual and musical brain farts this evening. Their runthrough was much better. Vanguard's drill is absolutely out of this world! Much more complex than anyone else's on the field this evening. And their music...OH MY GOD!!! It's packed full of emotion - luscious beauty, anger, joviality, waves of power, splendor. Don't believe me? Buy the pre-season CD for $10 from their website or souvie van and listen for yourself. They will give Phantom Regiment a run for their money as High Brass winner this year, mark my words.

That's it! I'm tired now. Good night all.

Edited by PeeWee

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scv and high brass? when was the last time THAT happened? 1973?

1987 actually. But like I said, buy the CD and listen for yourself. Mark my words - they WILL be competing for high brass!

Lots of VK alumni in the stands tonight yelling things like "2 COOL VK!" which I'm not sure if these kids understand.

WOW. If that is the case, that's pretty sad. I have a feeling though they know...

Impulse - They've taken the "funny" right out of their corps this season and are playing very serious music. Funny works better for them.

Gee Mike--considering your ability to pontificate, couldn't you do a little more than just that for Impulse?

1987 actually. But like I said, buy the CD and listen for yourself. Mark my words - they WILL be competing for high brass!

They came closest recently in 2001. 2nd place by .3 to the devs.

I agree, PeeWee...they sound really good this year. Its the first time in awhile that blood and guts/beautiful chocolatey sound has been there.

Edited by alto92

WOW. If that is the case, that's pretty sad. I have a feeling though they know...

Gee Mike--considering your ability to pontificate, couldn't you do a little more than just that for Impulse?

I got into corps the year after they folded, and I'm 25. The oldest kid in the corps would have been what....11 when they last performed? Did the staff used to teach the funny to them back in the day? I mean...it seemed so gleefully natural.

i loved their scv's 01 brass sound.... so bottom heavy. didn't they only come in 2nd finals night, coming in 4th in quarters and semis?

cadets owned finals night with their brassline, period.

-------

peewee, i hope you're right about their line competing for high brass... it's been too long!

lastly.... VANGUARD.

Edited by just_another_fanatic

I got into corps the year after they folded, and I'm 25. The oldest kid in the corps would have been what....11 when they last performed? Did the staff used to teach the funny to them back in the day? I mean...it seemed so gleefully natural.

HEY MR. GRAY! It was a combination of precise, technical, and very intricate show programming...and the rest, just BLIND FREAKIN' LUCK and whacky things that would happen in rehearsal that all of a sudden would become part of the show.

Remember the shark in 92?

Yeah...that wasn't there...until THAT NIGHT. True story. And that story is somewhere here in DCP but it was a CLASSIC VK synchronicity moment.

In 1987, when the term "2COOLVK" was "hatched" and the famous license plate was put in the show, I believe that the oldest possible member in this version of VK would have been....ONE.

OMG!

I'm OLD!!!!!

LOL Ryan....I feel the age too somedays...

Believe me that the new members KNOW what 2COOLVK means.......especially when their equipment truck catches on fire and they have 30 minutes to prepare for a show after borrowing ALL of our equipment from Academy....I was told by Joe tonight, "Welcome to the Velvet Knights"....LOL....Our premiere tonight was FILLED with behind the scenes VERY VK stuff happening....I can't wait for tomorrow when something else happens. There is something about this corps, you know???

Maybe look for the Academy "A" in the drill sometime in the future. They alone allowed us to play tonight. However, we were determined to go on anyway, even if it meant a singing run-though (true story!!!) THANK YOU ACADEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

See you tomorrow. :)

Edited by stylites