HTH are Cadets winning?

Here's an interesting question that has not been brought up. If there were NO narration in this show (thats right, 0 spoken words), would people be praising this corps as highly for their marching, playing, and spinning??? I honestly think not. Im sure some fans would still write about it, but for the most part, the people that dont like the corps right now are complimenting the rest of the sections to hide their bias. Now dont get me wrong, i know there are real cadet fans out there that dont like the narration, and thats fine, but i get the feeling that people are praising the corps just so they can say "dont cover up a great hornline with talking" and such

Do you seriously have to beg that question? I don't think a lot of people would give them credit at all. Personally, I am not hooked on all of the narration. But from what I've seen and heard so far, I think they have a fantastic show and I am looking forward to next weekend at Giant's stadium. I just hope a lot of people clear their subjective opinions and look at the real "meat" of this show because I think it's very good.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But I don't think anyone is going to overcompliment the actual corps just to bypass the issue of narration.

bypass isnt what i was going for...highlight is more like it.

You are the only person making any sense out of this stupid thread.

If this thread is stupid to you, stop reading it

Depending on the use of voice it can be judged by GE judges, Ensemble judges, or even the percussion judge. It is silly to say voice is unjudged unless you have listened to judges tapes.

My understanding is that voice ( singing ) is judged, but not narration.

If narration is judged as you say, just what exactly is the judge " judging " ? Is he or she judging projection, amp wattage, voice dialect, content of the talking points relative to the show ? What ? Just what exactly can the judge be judging when there is no singing involved, but simply talking points, ie narration ? Fair question to ask is it not ?

Edited by X DM

If this thread is stupid to you, stop reading it

Some people like reading stupid things...

Yeah, I still think that you're wrong there. I think they're getting praise because they deserve it, narration aside.

I absolutely think they deserve it as well. What im saying is that people who dont normally praise them at all are doing so now because it allows them to seem fair-minded as they bash the one thing they really dont like - the narration. Sort of a lesser of two evils kind of thing, at least to people who dont normally like the cadets. Sorry if this is confusing, im just trying to dig past the typical narration rhetoric.

I absolutely think they deserve it as well. What im saying is that people who dont normally praise them at all are doing so now because it allows them to seem fair-minded as they bash the one thing they really dont like - the narration. Sort of a lesser of two evils kind of thing, at least to people who dont normally like the cadets. Sorry if this is confusing, im just trying to dig past the typical narration rhetoric.

Yeah I see what you're saying, I'm just not so sure that I agree.

That could also be because I'm just really excited to see their show, narration or no. I absolutely love their music selections for this year.

Primarily because those 3/4 are still dumb enough to keep paying to see them. After a couple of seasons trying to adapt and be considerate of both sides of this argument, I not only want rid of over-long vocalization, I actually want rid of amps altogether, as I think amplifying the pit has destroyed the balance of sound between the front and the field. And regardless of what DCI claims to the contrary, there's a lot of people who feel the same way.

I agree 100%.

However, the real question is: Who makes up the MAJORITY of DCI paying audiences these days? I'd venture to say that it's probably not the "old timers." Kids want to be entertained, point-blank. They think stuff like drumlines wearing headphones and throwing down to backing tracks is "cool." I wonder what those kids and their parents think of this year's Cadets show? In the eyes of DCI (and The Cadets), that's what matters. I, for one, have a problem paying for that sort of thing.

Oh, and the '07 Cadets? I hate to admit it, but it's a well designed, well executed show. The judges can't dock them points for narration, except in *maybe* GE. Even then, if they don't have a valid arguement for Hopkins, forget about it. I'm willing to bet that lots of the judges don't like it either - they're drum corps fans like us.

That has nothing to do with it. Put simply, "General Effect" doesn't mean "crowd appeal." I haven't looked at the sheets in a couple of years, but from what I remember, the criteria are pretty well spelled out, and how Bill in section 105, row G feels about narration isn't one of them.

You just reinforced my point. It isn't, but it should be. Who do you think designed those sheets? Judges and Instructors.

Here's another option ... If you find some aspect of a corps' show to be that patently offensive to your sensibilities. Go get a frikkin' hot dog.

If all the folks complaining about the Cadets' show just got up and left during their performance, someone would get the message.

Edited by DCIHasBeen