HTH are Cadets winning?

Cadet bashing is really getting old / this has been going on for three years straight.

THREE years straight? I thought it was a lot longer than that.

Anyway, I can't wait to see them.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadet bashing is really getting old / this has been going on for three years straight.

Exactly. It's so stupid.

THREE years straight? I thought it was a lot longer than that.

Anyway, I can't wait to see them.

the corps-proper bashing paused from 2000-2004 / you must be talking about Hopkins bashing which knows no season and has been continuous

the corps-proper bashing paused from 2000-2004 / you must be talking about Hopkins bashing which knows no season and has been continuous

Ahhh...well I can't wait until it pauses again.

Really...i thought there was plenty in 2002 and maybe 03, not sure about before that since i wasnt involved much in the activity

The fact that almost every comment, even by those who like the show, asks for you to ignore, listen beyond, dismiss, or just plain accept the narration, says something. I would bet that even someone seeing drum corps for the very first time will be at the least distracted, if not annoyed, by the overdone jibberish. Do less of it, do it with quality of performance, and I will try to like it, because I like drum corps.

IS THERE ANYONE who has seen or heard this show that actually likes and prefers the narration?

Anyone?

Bueler?

Anyone?

Well, I am no going to defend the Cadets here, because I have serious problems with their narrations, but at the same time I don't know how entertaining or not entertaining they are. I don't know how you do? You can only speak for yourself, yet you seem to have knowledge that 3/4ths of fans are not happy with their show, and somehow I didn't get the memo on that. Did you poll the drum corps fan kingdom?

From what I read in reviews and hear from others on DCP, it sounds as though they are plenty entertaining, and the only thing people are trying to get around is the narration. My guess would be that people are enjoying them, so the notion of these people not coming to shows or not supporting the corps in the future is off base. If you stop going to shows because of the Cadets then you hurt the other corps as well. And as I said, I doubt everyone in the audience hates the Cadets, and I would bet that most are enjoying their show this year. I just wish they would scrap most of their narration, but other than that I enjoy their music and I can tell they will be really good.

JW

For the record, I was referencing a prior thread I created: Cadets 2007; Love it or Hate it. It was a 3 to 1 ratio of hate to love. I didn't say anything about not going to shows; I was pointing out the disconnect between their high ranking and the displeasure of the creative staff's efforts. I'm not imaging this... the polls and numbers of the (*DCP IS A SMALL SEGMENT CAVEAT BS) Planet said as much. Therefore, I'm trying to point out the disconnect. If you "didn't get the memo", here's your TPS Report.

This is true...but IF narration is part of the program (and from my observation, it is not only a MAJOR distraction, but it is not performed well, IMHO) why isnt is showing up in the sheets? The judges MUST find a way to evaluate this area and assign numbers to its contribution if it is used. I do not think the judges have figured out how to assign this 'new' gimmick yet, much like it took time to assess the Bridgemen's style in the 70's, the new drill ideas, and some of the other additions to the genre.

I believe (pun not intended.. :P ) that Cadets have the show to win this year. I also believe ( :blink: ) that if I was a judge in the music captions (what you hear) that I would find a way to integrate the 'vocal' performance into the numbers. I find balance and quality problems within that subcaption, and in the GE area it is overpowering the progran and too many times overbalancing and masking the hornline (much like a percussion section can overbalance and distract). This will be toned back and possibly go away if the judges start putting the numbers to it...or it will become more integrated into the program itself. I do not mind narration IF it is used carefully. I do not believe (this is getting like YOWZA... :sshh: ) it is in this show.

This is a musical activity afterall. Not drama...

Wow, bingo. Add to that the very poor quality of the audio from narration (compared esp. to other corps that are not white-hot overdriven vocals), and you have a helluva point.

The fact that almost every comment, even by those who like the show, asks for you to ignore, listen beyond, dismiss, or just plain accept the narration, says something. I would bet that even someone seeing drum corps for the very first time will be at the least distracted, if not annoyed, by the overdone jibberish. Do less of it, do it with quality of performance, and I will try to like it, because I like drum corps.

IS THERE ANYONE who has seen or heard this show that actually likes and prefers the narration?

Anyone?

Bueler?

Anyone?

Yes. I do. Crazy how people have different tastes and preferences, isn't it?

So, in all seriousness, have you seen the Cadets live this year? This is priceless to sit back and take this all in! There are those who just cant stand to see the Cadets do well. The I hate the Cadets crowd had their fun last year, this year is the Cadets turn to enjoy! Like it or not, the Cadets are really good this and will be in the hunt all year, you can take that to the bank. Just for the record, I am not a huge fan of narration, I can take it or leave it, however, there are so many good things in the Cadets show this year and they are so talented that this corps will leave a long lasting impression on the drum corps community! :)

Yes, I saw them, live, in Annapolis.