HTH are Cadets winning?

The first sentence, below, leads me to believe that he has watched The Cadets show. The next few sentences lead me to believe that he is simply using the Pacific Crest show as another example of a show that is being ruined, in his opinion, by narration.

I don't understand what the problem is.

He hasn't seen the show in person. He had qualms about flying his family to Madison, so I doubt he has gone to some random small town on the east coast to see a show.

Edited by CadetsFan08

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't seen the show in person. He had qualms about flying his family to Madison, so I doubt he has gone to some random small town on the east coast to see a show.

But one can still have an opinion of a show without seeing it live. I've watched the EnCorps! Videos of the corps from Annapolis a few times, and I have an opinion about each show. It's better than him not having seen the show at all and forming an opinion based simply on what he has read.

You may not agree with him, but you shouldn't disregard his opinion simply because he hasn't seen it live.

But one can still have an opinion of a show without seeing it live. I've watched the EnCorps! Videos of the corps from Annapolis a few times, and I have an opinion about each show. It's better than him not having seen the show at all and forming an opinion based simply on what he has read.

You may not agree with him, but you shouldn't disregard his opinion simply because he hasn't seen it live.

Agreed. But he did not even say if he did see the show. Lots of people on this #### forum post without being informed and it's frustrating.

Agreed. But he did not even say if he did see the show. Lots of people on this #### forum post without being informed and it's frustrating.

I know what you mean. But I guess it's better to not assume. We all know what that does. :P

I don't think they will be winning for long. Right now the corps are competing all over the map so we'll see how well the Cadets fair when they go up against the midwest and CA corps.

Oh my! You've got some really strong feelings about this! I guess that's good. Everyone needs to have a passion.

Well...against my better judgment, which is telling me to not even respond, let me remind you, my friend, that there are a lot of people who travel extensively as a part of their jobs. Typically, I can manipulate my work-travel schedule so that I can catch shows in several different regions. Last year, I saw shows in So Cal, Atlanta and San Antonio, which in fairness is also why I didn't feel any particular urgancy to go to finals. I'd already seen quite a few shows. So, you are correct that I wouldn't fly to the other coast just to see a DC show...I didn't have to.

That said, the fact is that even if I hadn't seen Cadets this season, I don't really HAVE to have seen this year's show to profer an opinion that I don't like narration in general. I've seen plenty of it. I don't like it. It's really that simple. I also don't particularly like ice hockey. Been to plenty of games. It's not my thing. Doesn't make hockey a bad or stupid sport. I simply don't like it. Same with narration. It just doesn't work FOR ME. And that's all I've ever said.

I've been a big fan of past Cadets shows... "Perilous Skies..." "Beef" "WSS" The millennium show. I love what the Cadets have done for the activity. I've cheered on most of the innovations they've brought to the field. I just...don't...like...narration. And that's...okay.

And as to whether I've seen Cadets this season... I'm not going to say! I kind of like that this is causing you some cognative disequilibrium. ^0^

Oh my! You've got some really strong feelings about this! I guess that's good. Everyone needs to have a passion.

Well...against my better judgment, which is telling me to not even respond, let me remind you, my friend, that there are a lot of people who travel extensively as a part of their jobs. Typically, I can manipulate my work-travel schedule so that I can catch shows in several different regions. Last year, I saw shows in So Cal, Atlanta and San Antonio, which in fairness is also why I didn't feel any particular urgancy to go to finals. I'd already seen quite a few shows. So, you are correct that I wouldn't fly to the other coast just to see a DC show...I didn't have to.

That said, the fact is that even if I hadn't seen Cadets this season, I don't really HAVE to have seen this year's show to profer an opinion that I don't like narration in general. I've seen plenty of it. I don't like it. It's really that simple. I also don't particularly like ice hockey. Been to plenty of games. It's not my thing. Doesn't make hockey a bad or stupid sport. I simply don't like it. Same with narration. It just doesn't work FOR ME. And that's all I've ever said.

I've been a big fan of past Cadets shows... "Perilous Skies..." "Beef" "WSS" The millennium show. I love what the Cadets have done for the activity. I've cheered on most of the innovations they've brought to the field. I just...don't...like...narration. And that's...okay.

And as to whether I've seen Cadets this season... I'm not going to say! I kind of like that this is causing you some cognative disequilibrium. ^0^

Nice. Like the post, especially the end.

You are my favorite kind of anti-narration fan (seriously). You admit you dont like it, saying its just not your thing. You dont try to justify it by making generalizations about the dc world hating it, or complaining that they shouldnt be winning because of it....it's just not your thing, and thats cool. Oh, and having a sense of humor helps.

I don't understand why the use of narration automatically makes people assume that they are having the show "explained" to them. Maybe we should use the term "spoken word" instead because having the human voice used in a show doesn't necessarily imply that they're using it to force a story upon you or that they're treating you like a simpleton who has to have the entire concept explained point by point.

You have a very valid point that human voice isn't an automatic "explanation". It just seems that people particularly are bothered by it because, IMO, fans have had to do the interpreting through music. Thus, when you have shows such as BD's Yowza show, Seattle's air show, and Cadets last year and this... especially this year with the warmup starting with a complete explanation about how they're gonna do X, Y, and Z in the show, fans of all those prior years say, "I'm #### well smart enough to figure out what you're doing, provided the show itself provides direction." Think back to Cadets 92 -- the reason you remember it usually isn't the Holsinger, but that you attached your mind's pleasure of the music with the visual accompaniment of spinning ceiling fans and guard members in pseudo-flight suits.

Look at it this way... Mimes that talk are just goofy French clowns.