HTH are Cadets winning?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadet bashing is really getting old / this has been going on for three years straight.

George, you know well enough this isnt Cadets bashing and it IS bashing, for lack of better term, of the use of narration, it has been this way since 2005, growing stronger last year and now even stronger. No corps using narration is exempt, why do Cadet fans, loyalists, and supporter feel the need to play "joan of arc" or any other martyr when their corps is receiving criticism. If its a lot and ots loud and slices a broad sampling of people, there must be a reason, as irrelevant as some like to think DCP is, its not, its a true sampling of the bigger pictur, and if anyone thinks everyone on the stand is enjoying and happily receiving this show with narration...you dont need me to tell you reality, A) you wont believe it, and B ) you wont listen anyway.

Stop adding to the maddness by fueling the fire with inaccuracies, Cadet bashing ?? no. Mediocre show design bashing, you bet !

~G~

Being completely honest - there is some narration (about 25% of it) that indeed do enjoy, and that I think enhances the show. There is a large chunk of it ( about 50%), that i dont mind, and that i think could be worked out to sound better. The remaining 25% (ex. 'emo' band kid, or 'we are human beings'), i think just needs to go.

SO, at the crux of all that, yes i do like SOME of the narration...

And, I would be willing to bet, had they come out of the gate minus about 75% on the narration, you wouldnt see this many people in an uproar, the focus would be on the Scouts, and hardly any threads would br devoted to the Cadet narration and all would be saying that "watchout, this show will take it all"

~G~

I couldnt hear the bluecoats narration at annapolis (and i knew exactly what to listen for after watching their rehearsal the day before). In addition, their narration is supposed to have poor sound quality, since it fits the show concept coming out of a police megaphone. Still...i couldnt hear it and i was sitting on the 35 :blink:

?? and this is a BAD thing ???? :sshh:

~G~

And, I would be willing to bet, had they come out of the gate minus about 75% on the narration, you wouldnt see this many people in an uproar, the focus would be on the Scouts, and hardly any threads would br devoted to the Cadet narration and all would be saying that "watchout, this show will take it all"

~G~

Uh huh. :blink:

You have some valid points then go off ranting and all is lost for me. It all just seems so disgruntled. I'm sure there's some points I'm missing but it's like hearing an argument from a crying 10 year old versus a lawyer. It's just not the same amount of impact. Haha, just an exaggerated analogy with the 10 year old, but flame away if you must. Here's a couple things I've thought of over the thread, not necessarily pertaining to you.

The amplification is only deemed bad because you said so right now. That's a matter of opinion. I haven't seen the show live, but from the recordings, the quality isn't distracting to me. At least, I don't sit there and think to myself, man this vocal quality is horrible. I'm just distracted by the narration in general.

As far of the narration goes, some is distracting and some seems to fit nicely to me. For those of you wondering, the narration is in there for GE. if it were gone the show would be like 01, placing 1st and 2nd in all performance captions and getting slammed in GE. That show was all about performance because that is all we had to rely on for GE. It would be the same thing for an 07 show w/o narration. Sure, they could pull it off, but the narration gives the show a theme and central point to go around. It ties the otherwise random pieces together and the show would indeed place lower w/o it, despite complaints about the quality.

No flame back. I'm talking about something different than what I believe you are. I'm not talking about the use of narration by The Cadets. I'm not a fan, and I make no bones about that. However, what drives me up a wall is the quality of sound by the vocals. They're trying to have a dialog within the show, and talk to the audience. OK, that's their choice. But they shouldn't sound like they're on a satellite phone in Antarctica, using a speakerphone. The sound should be clear, and not a poor excuse for an amplification.

So to be extra clear, it's not hating on anyone. It's the severe disappointment in how in this case The Cadets "get away with" / are not lowered in score because the poor sound quality is a category that is only implicitly judged.

I apologize for the sophomoric rant, but I get very tired of being labeled a (corps) hater. I don't hate any corps. I just can't do it. I have favorite shows, but I don't ever judge my favorite shows by uniform. I also don't prejudice my annoyance for what I think is wrong because of who or what the corps is or is run by, or where they are from.

I agree with the quality of sound issue - needs improved drastically

Hey George, please stop bashing the Cadets, just because you deem yourself a supporter, that doesnt give you the right to say something negative about them or their show and have it allowed. You are bashing them just as much as the next guy , if I use your logic, so please...stop bashing the Cadets, ok ??

Thanks

~G~

I couldnt hear the bluecoats narration at annapolis (and i knew exactly what to listen for after watching their rehearsal the day before). In addition, their narration is supposed to have poor sound quality, since it fits the show concept coming out of a police megaphone. Still...i couldnt hear it and i was sitting on the 35 :blink:

The part where they are sounding like a megaphone on purpose wasn't at all what I was talking about. Several corps in the last few years have done a great job in presenting clear, amplified audio with decent enunciation and appropriately leveled audio. The bluecoats may need to raise the overall volume to amplify it more, but they seem to have the microphone volumes right. In the case of The Cadets, they have the volumes of the microphones way too high, and then you multiply the problem when you take all of those too-high mics and put them all together.

That's the simplified technical side.