BD and SCV

I went to the Riverside show last night, here are some random thoughts: I love both SCV and BD, but I don't see a championship out of either corps this year. IMO, both will be lucky to make top three.

BD - One of the poorest designed shows in their history. It feels like they took whatever was in the kitchen sink and tossed it in there, and then threw darts at a dart board to coe up with a theme. The show was confusing, and too me, it sounds as if the kids are having a tough time connecting with the music. It's not a very challenging book. which means that once they get to the midwest, there will be some hurt feelings when they finally meet up with the Cavi's, Cadets, and Regiment. There were a couple of nice momens in the show, but nothing that mde me want to stand up and cheer. And from the looks of things, the rest of the crwod agreed with me. Very small crowd response

SCV - Looked a bit stronger. The show seemed short. so I don't know if the closer was on the field or not, but I don't think it was. The opener seemed a but bouncy to me, but the rest of the show is pretty darn good. The ballad was beautiful, and that's what they ended with tonight. SCV has more room for improvement, but unless they build some extra GE into the show (possible, very possible). They are looking at a fourth, maybe fifth place finish.

My prediction:

SCV 3rd

BD 5th

Edited by Newseditor44

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review.

Why don't you just cut and paste it and add it to the reviews in the other forum?

And yeah, that wasn't SCVs closer. Right now, I feel like they're barely hanging on to their show for dear life and it's taking them for a ride. Once they get a handle on it they'll do much better!

Wow. That's what I suspected but in an effort to avoid the west coast vs. midwest scoring inflation DCP conflict, I kept my mouth shut. There was a BD video on YouTube for a short while, enough to get at least a rough read of the show. It's possible they could end up as low as 6th this year with the other top corps paying more attention to programming. The current BD model is tired and I think we will be seeing changes from them soon.

Blue Devils may be in for a rude awakening when they travel east.

I don't expect to see an SCV championship in '07, but from what I've heard of their musical program, it's gorgeous. Granted, the most recent audio clips from their season CD are basically studio recordings, but that hornline is producing some nice sounds.

hey have a wonderful hornline, with a great sound. Should be very interesting to see where they place this season.

BD on the other hand... I am not sure if it's their book or their hornline, but it's possible that the talent just isn't there. I would hate to say that Downey laid an egg with this chart, but the more I listen to it, the more I think he might have. Lots of changes coming from BD in the next several weeks...

Edited by Newseditor44

First off I know your just telling people your thoughts about the corps shows and your predictions....But you have to remember its still June!?!?!?! They still got all of JULY and the first week and a half of August to clean their show. Every corps out there is going to be a bit dirty in the start of the season thats just how DCI works. Give them time....

After all... SCV is supposably like number one in rankings this year right now... lol

I would however have to agree with you on the BD remarks....Ever since after their 2003 show they haven't been able to field an exciting show ever since. To me the Train show, Dance Camp, and the God father were boring and I almost fell asleep until some one nudged me in the stands to stay awake then I got up to go get a hotdog.

SCV fell apart in 2005 but have been working them selves back up to the top during 2006 and now are giving it their all for the 2007 season....I guest SCV really wants that Westcoast Championship brag'n rights! lol I wouldn't blame them.

My predictions of top 6

SCV 1st

Cavies 2nd

PR 3rd

BD 4th

Cadets 5th

Bluecoats 6th

First off I know your just telling people your thoughts about the corps shows and your predictions....But you have to remember its still June!?!?!?! They still got all of JULY and the first week and a half of August to clean their show. Every corps out there is going to be a bit dirty in the start of the season thats just how DCI works. Give them time....

After all... SCV is supposably like number one in rankings this year right now... lol

I would however have to agree with you on the BD remarks....Ever since after their 2003 show they haven't been able to field an exciting show ever since. To me the Train show, Dance Camp, and the God father were boring and I almost fell asleep until some one nudged me in the stands to stay awake then I got up to go get a hotdog.

SCV fell apart in 2005 but have been working them selves back up to the top during 2006 and now are giving it their all for the 2007 season....I guest SCV really wants that Westcoast Championship brag'n rights! lol I wouldn't blame them.

My predictions of top 6

SCV 1st

Cavies 2nd

PR 3rd

BD 4th

Cadets 5th

Bluecoats 6th

Yes it is June, but there are a lot of things that can be taken from June. Talent level, initial show design, so on and so forth. BD is lacking in several, and I think SCV is going to have a tough time competing with the Cavaliers and Regiment... not to mention the Cadets. What we are seeing right now could be the build up to one of the most competitive years in DCI, but not for the reasons you might think. Looking at what everyone has said to this point, their hasn't been one show that really stands out as the show to beat. Usually we can tell right out of the gates who the front runner is, but not this year. The Cavaliers are probably still the corps to beat, and until someone does beat them, the ball is in their court.

That said, I think Santa Clara has the chance to regain championship form this season, and will probably assert themselves as a powerhouse for years to come. The Blue Devils are in a transitional phase, really trying to find an identity after slowly moving away from their jazz roots for the last decade or so. Plus, I am just not convinced that they have the talent in all three sections that they had three or four years ago.

I think the fact that it is June IS a big deal. True you can look at talent level and initial show design. But taking the blue devils for example, I recall seeing the blue devils at the orlando show in 2002. The show they put on the feild in orlando and the one they put out at finals were 2 almost completey different shows. Yes the concept was the same, but when I saw the show in orlando I thought "this show has NO shot of winning" but by the end of the season, if it wasnt 2002 with those cavies that show would have won.

Point is: yes it is june, and YES it is to early to tell. Who knows? the blue devils could completely revamp their show this year and pull out another 2002.

I can't wait to see SCV. They are in Illinois this coming Friday, and from the music I heard on their website, I think this show is going to kick some butt.

It is starting to look to me like we are going to have the regular top 4 back this year. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to tenths of a point for the top 3 spots this year.

I would love to see Vanguard take the championship back this year. I think Cadets could be 2nd, with Cavies and BD fighting for the 3rd and 4th spots.

Here is news worth reporting. No F tuning.

WHAT?!?!!?