Outlaw narration?

um - seriously???

We've had 10,000,000 threads about narration

Folks should put their "idea" into one of the existing threads - not start yet ANOTHER one.

In that case, Cadet supporters should be limited to one thread for their comments throughout the season, too - right?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How bout we outlaw anti-amp and anti/vocal fans from attending shows. :P

I can remember being at a show last season and hearing some fans shouting negative comments at the performers on the field. Though most fans just looked at these fans and shook their heads. I would have kicked them out of the stadium. The performers work too hard to be treated that way.

IMHO.

At the Pittsburgh show this year when the Bluecoats say "You have the right to remain silent", someone in the stands shouted out something like "Please do!". I thought that was really wrong, even thought I don't like narration at all.

This is not to debate amps/narration or any of that, but do you think that the BOD would approve a rule to amend the amps rule to outlaw amplified voice? IMO, the Board could have avoided this whole controversy by making the amp rule say that only the pit could be amplified and not voices. With the number of corps that have used narration (BD, Cadets, Blue Stars..), do you think such a measure could pass now? Discuss.

It probably wouldn't make it to the vote - but it should. Take away narration completly I say!

When you attend a concert, a movie or a drum corps show, talking during the performance is rude, distracting and obnoxious. Call it what you will, IMO, narration definitely fits into all three of those categories. I absolutely hate it!!

Except those are two totally different things...talking by an audience member is just what you say. Narration is part OF the corps performance, hence it is not "rude, distracting and obnoxious".

"Don't Have the Strength":

You're correct. I haven't seen too many of his proposals tossed out recently have you? They are as bad as lemmings. As I said earlier, 'Whatever he wants, sooner or later, he gets".

Elphaba

It took something like a dozen years for amps to be passed. Hardly lemmings.

"Over & Over":

BINGO!!! Hopkins has led the collective DCI "Membership" around by their noses for years. Whatever he wants, sooner or later he gets. The complete destruction of the "Drum & Bugle Corps" entity is his end game. "Marching Band" is his obsession, and that is what he'll get. It will happen sooner rather than later.

Don't believe me? Just stick around a while longer.

Elphaba

Well, instead of #####ing about hopkins, why dont you complain about this so called 'dci membership'. There were 20 corps directors at the meeting last year, and hopkins was only one of them. Its a safe bet that both yea corps would vote the same way, but from now on there will only be 1 yea corps, so that leaves them with 1 vote. Is it hopkins fault that he is able to convince at least half of the directors that what he wants is correct? The last time i checked, jedi mind tricks only work on the weak-minded...

Edited by euponitone

Narration in a show is part of the music.

Until the judging standards place the same weight on 'soloists' in the vocal subcaption as it does on actual musicians in the corps, I don't believe that position can be supported.

I find the concept of voiceovers in drum corps to be generally kinda dumb, with a few exceptions (there's enough wit behind what Bluecoats are doing this year that it doesn't bug me; at least there's a payoff for the vocal). But what REALLY sets my teeth on edge is when a poorly-trained voice stands there breathing hard into a mic with all the pops and wheezes, delivering a cliche'd monologue about how they didn't fit into school, blah blah blah.

In that case, both the quality of the book and the quality of the performance are SO far under the standards displayed by the rest of the show that they should be having a seriously negative impact on score. Once they DO, then I'll stop caring about it, since then, only those who've really spent the time and effort to perfect their voiceovers will bother bringing them to the field.

Edited by mobrien

The last time i checked, jedi mind tricks only work on the weak-minded...

...heh.

There does seem to be, though, a clear pecking order. Hop, Gibbs and Fiedler submit most of the rules proposals and changes. Most of the interviews on Field Pass and at Rules Congress are with the "big dogs".

That's not to say that they are the end-all, be-all in these meetings, but you do wonder why Glasgow, Bodiford and others don't really have much to say at these functions...and if their silence necessarily equates to being okay with where things are going.

/adjusts tin foil hat. :P

...heh.

There does seem to be, though, a clear pecking order. Hop, Gibbs and Fiedler submit most of the rules proposals and changes. Most of the interviews on Field Pass and at Rules Congress are with the "big dogs".

That's not to say that they are the end-all, be-all in these meetings, but you do wonder why Glasgow, Bodiford and others don't really have much to say at these functions...and if their silence necessarily equates to being okay with where things are going.

/adjusts tin foil hat. :P

very true...its much like politics. I just wonder why the corps that silently go along with these changes, yet publicly dont support them, dont get hammered even more. At least hopkins, and to a lesser extent gibbs, are very out in the open about what they want to do, while everyone who implicitly agrees with them hides in the shadows. Its been going on for as long as ive been around (probably longer), and the reaction on this board is always the same.