bones

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a winner.

Tell what show your gonna be at and I'll meet you at the souvie booth.

BAC in the late 70's. I always thought it looked sweet and like no one else.

I thought it would be cool to give the bones a little old school east coast look.

Hey Marc,

I just watched a video of the 1980 Crossmen and they used that low horn carriage too!

I guess what's old is new again, huh.

:)

And who wrote Crossmen's show in 1980?......Tony Smith, who was with Boston in the 70's.

Hey Marc,

I just watched a video of the 1980 Crossmen and they used that low horn carriage too!

I guess what's old is new again, huh.

:)

I can not wait to see Crossmen this Friday in Maryland. Bones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The horn carriage does look strange and even seems to effect the balance of the performers. I have to slightly disagree that the visual demand was the only factor effecting their playing ability. Even in the ballad section where the movement is very legato and smaller steps, there was a heavy amount of wavering tone and individuals sticking out. Balance and blend in the final 3/4 of the show was at its worst. It sounded like they were trying too hard to balance to the low brass who were 50 yards away on side 1. It also sounded like 1/2 of the upper brass wasn't playing. I labeled it a couple of different things. 1) Jitters 2) Mvt 1 took the gas out of most of the upper brass 3) Bad approach to playing (I didn't hear much breathe DAH at all) They really did sound scared.

Now that the first show is under their belts, let's see how they bounce back the second time around.

Breathe dah.

is old school. not used by Texas band directors. ( SCV , CAVIES , CROSSMEN , BLUECOATS )

Does anyone have any pictures of this horn carriage?

The mouth piece is lined up with your mouth, while the arms are more relaxed.

This picture was taken in Nov. of 1981....veeeeery cold day for a parade in Philly, but you get the idea for horn carriage;

CrossmenParade.jpg

This is how the hornline carried their horns in for major shows;

Crossmen1980.jpg

My hubby is the 5th guy back.....he played 1st sop. B)

Edited by Malibu

Free Bones Tee shirt to the first person who remembers the corps that used to use that low horn carriage.

No Xmen alumni allowed to enter this contest since you all own every new Bones Tee this year. :)

That's who we got it from back in the late 70s. I think in 1979 Tony Smith brought that with him from Boston.

Oops. I should have read Doug's message. Sorry. Hey Doug how you doing?

Edited by sssidney