No Mass Appeal, No Future

So, how come we don't see much larger crowds. I agree that attendance has been on the rise, but at a very slow pace. That means that there almost as many leaving as coming. I think DCI can do a better job of retaining more legacy fans while adding new fans. But DCI doesn't seem to think that is a priority. That's a mistake, IMO.

Legacy fans do attend shows. IMO DCI is using their limited marketing $$$ the right way. Targeting the renewable source of band kids is definitely the right way to go, IMO. They also cater to the legacy fans with the DVD collection, Classic Countdown and appearances by alumni corps at DCI events, such as champs and DCI East.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legacy fans do attend shows. IMO DCI is using their limited marketing $$$ the right way. Targeting the renewable source of band kids is definitely the right way to go, IMO. They also cater to the legacy fans with the DVD collection, Classic Countdown and appearances by alumni corps at DCI events, such as champs and DCI East.

And to extend beyond this argument just a bit...

Do you (any of you) think it's really possible to keep both the new, young generation of fans/performers AND the legacy generation happy? To some extent, you're going to lose people either way. It makes more sense to continue to target your product towards the younger generation that still has a lifetime of support they can give. No one wants to just "forget" legacy marchers, they're the reason we're here today, but the future is not in the past.

Just a thought, anyway.

Do you (any of you) think it's really possible to keep both the new, young generation of fans/performers AND the legacy generation happy? To some extent, you're going to lose people either way.

True, you're going to lose "some" either way, but it's not like every fan over 40 has suddenly vanished. I still see plenty of older fans when I go to shows, and just from purely anecdotal evidence and my own observations, it seems like many of them are happier with the current product than they generally were 5 to 10 years ago.

This just out. You shouldn't be critical about anything in DCI. If you are unhappy about what is going on, you shouldn't post here about it. Everybody here should be right there on the party line and saying that DCI is wonderful or saying nothing at all. No more bad reviews about any of it, guys. If you don't like a show, get out there and design your own. Otherwise, just shut up.

I'll be sure to tell all those political commentators that they should run for office instead of reporting on what those in government are doing, as well. If they aren't going to take the job themselves, they'd better stop writing about it.

The fans and folks who pay money into this activity (or even the ones who don't spend much) shouldn't have an opinion or voice? C'mon now.

Here's a better question. Has being on ESPN been worthwhile?

Here is my answer:

No. Shouldn't one major goal of being on a major cable channel is to gain sponsors? This has not happened. The commercials during the show on ESPN are the sponsors DCI had before they broadcasted on ESPN. The A.J Wrights, etc.. of the world.

Not gaining any sponsorships, while being on one of the largest known TV channels can't be a good thing.

Just because it is on ESPN, doesn't mean much, in my book. What can you not find on ESPN? I have seen Darts championships on ESPN a few times. Has this sparked an interest in darts? No.

Is being on ESPN the main reason why DCI has shifted the marketing angle towards a sports concept?

Here's a better question. Has being on ESPN been worthwhile?

Here is my answer:

No. Shouldn't one major goal of being on a major cable channel is to gain sponsors? This has not happened. The commercials during the show on ESPN are the sponsors DCI had before they broadcasted on ESPN. The A.J Wrights, etc.. of the world.

Not gaining any sponsorships, while being on one of the largest known TV channels can't be a good thing.

I doubt that the major goal is to gain more sponsors. IMO it's to provide exposure to the DCI activity.

Is being on ESPN the main reason why DCI has shifted the marketing angle towards a sports concept?

Possibly.

Truth of the matter is, DCI doesn't know how to market for the same reason we have an annual debate along the same lines here....is it sport or is it art?

Think about all the old tag lines we've had:

"The Summer Music Games"

"The Ex-Sightment of Sound"

"Marching Music's Major League"

...in each, it's a struggle to try to quantify the activity. ESPN2 is only the latest attempt to try to sell drum corps as sport...the "football dude" announcer for the 2005/2006 corps intros (versus Curt Gowdy as a host on the old live broadcast to try to lend 'sport gravitas'), the "Oh Noes! Who is gonna win!" false sense of drama by showing the score immediately afterwards (trying to crib from figure skating).

If you have trouble defining yourself as a easy to digest concept for advertisers, then you're shooting yourself in the foot from the start.