Best contra/tuba section in 2007?

Which corps has the most talented tuba section?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. You choose--Phantom Regiment or Bluecoats?

• Phantom Regiment
    • Bluecoats

Wow...Brandon. Being that you marched with the corps (with me) I'd thought you'd have a different opinion. I feel....some how.....alone. oh Lord, what is I gone do.

Methinks Brandon has learned the art of diplomacy. It might behoove you (and the image of "our" corps) if you did as well.

There are many, MANY fine contra lines out there. It doesn't being and end with Regiment (were that it did)!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...Brandon. Being that you marched with the corps (with me) I'd thought you'd have a different opinion. I feel....some how.....alone. oh Lord, what is I gone do.

Hey now, you know where my heart is - but I'm just saying that their are some other really sweet lines. I love Regiment, and really get into JD's arrangements - so, don't take it as me putting you out there by yourself. I got in enough trouble on the 'Real Regiment' thread, lol.

SUTA

This contra player still believes in what he wrote. PLEASE realize that we're talking about CONTRA lines not BRASS lines. Because that is a TOTALLY different discussion. Also, realize that you just said that balance and tone won't get you very far. I didn't fault blue for having a great arranger. And yes, it is possible to have a challenging book, blend, balance, and tone quality. I merely said that coats don't have it. They might soon, but not now, and not so much in the past.

Also, realize that I don't hate the coats....regiment is my alma mater and my favorite corps ever. I'm passionate about the corps and believe in everything that I say. I'm also confident that others agree with my words as well, so my bias is justified.

Have a great day.

your bias isnt justified because you are 'confident that others agree' with your words... its an understandable bias, no doubt, as is mine for marching with coats- but this isnt a popularity contest-

i'm confident that others agree with my words as well- actually judging by this thread- more voters who visited this particular location agree with me (60 to 52 right now)

you could take out your last paragraph starting "Also, realize that I dont hate the ____" and switch bluecoats and PR- and you would have me to a T- (including where i marched, what i believe, etc)

i didnt say balance and tone wont get you far- i said that if those are the ONLY things you've got going for you- then you have an incomplete package

but we're still contra brothers :) so no love lost- you have a great day too

and all this numbers stuff- you guys do realize that bluecoats are marching 12 tubas this year right?

i see a lot of people talking about 4 more, or 4 less, or the difference that 4 tubas makes... and unless i missed something and phantom is marching 16 tubas- we're only talking about the difference between 12 and 14... just FYI...

Methinks Brandon has learned the art of diplomacy. It might behoove you (and the image of "our" corps) if you did as well.

There are many, MANY fine contra lines out there. It doesn't being and end with Regiment (were that it did)!

True.

Hey now, you know where my heart is - but I'm just saying that their are some other really sweet lines. I love Regiment, and really get into JD's arrangements - so, don't take it as me putting you out there by yourself. I got in enough trouble on the 'Real Regiment' thread, lol.

SUTA

"Real Regiment" thread? I must have missed that one. If it means anything...all my posts have been in good fun.

your bias isnt justified because you are 'confident that others agree' with your words... its an understandable bias, no doubt, as is mine for marching with coats- but this isnt a popularity contest-

i'm confident that others agree with my words as well- actually judging by this thread- more voters who visited this particular location agree with me (60 to 52 right now)

you could take out your last paragraph starting "Also, realize that I dont hate the ____" and switch bluecoats and PR- and you would have me to a T- (including where i marched, what i believe, etc)

i didnt say balance and tone wont get you far- i said that if those are the ONLY things you've got going for you- then you have an incomplete package

but we're still contra brothers :) so no love lost- you have a great day too

See....I like that.

I have seen both Phantom and Bluecoats this season, and I think a very slight edge goes to Bluecoats this year.

As far as the best contra section averaged out through the years, Phantom over Bluecoats.

Now as far as Phantom being the best contra section over everyone through the years, definitely not. I think Blue Devils would definitely hold that honor. And while some years Phantom has had better arrangements for the Contra section, Blue Devils instructors are light years ahead of Phantom in getting tonal quality along with the volume. Vanguard has had some awesome contra sections over the years. Cadets have had some awesome sections over the years. A few other corps that have had some nice Contra sections over the years include Spirit, Crossmen, and one year the Glassmen.

Well, with no criteria and only two groups to choose from, this is a non-starter. But it gives the opportunity for the PR fans and the Bloooo fans to trade potshots.

I haven't seen either of them, so I will say - be sure to check out SCV - they have a lovely tuba sound this year.

Even without bias, the book the coats line is playing is insane

they beat PR hands down

Agreed. Detch, if Guenther isn't in the hands of Josh Davis stat, you and I are going to have a throw down. I'm not kidding.

DW