South Milwaukee, WI tonight

I was hoping so.

Got a chance to see both Troopers and Madison, and now I wished it had been scored. Not that I think that [EDIT: OOPS!] Troop would have beaten Madison, but they would have been within a point or two.

Short version: Madison has bigger moments, Troop has the more consistant show. Both need tons of cleaning, both have major potential, both could easily leap up in the rankings from where they are.

Both groups (saying this as a Troopers homer) should be very satisfied with the August results no matter where the scores end up. I know that a lot of my fears were calmed when I saw Troop perform.

Pioneer was nice and a step in the right direction. Cap Sound was fun, if a bit unclear right now.

Edited by Pinwiz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping so.

Got a chance to see both Troopers and Madison, and now I wished it had been scored. Not that I think that Madison would have beaten Troop, but they would have been within a point or two.

Short version: Madison has bigger moments, Troop has the more consistant show. Both need tons of cleaning, both have major potential, both could easily leap up in the rankings from where they are.

Both groups (saying this as a Troopers homer) should be very satisfied with the August results no matter where the scores end up. I know that a lot of my fears were calmed when I saw Troop perform.

Pioneer was nice and a step in the right direction. Cap Sound was fun, if a bit unclear right now.

you know, I'm a lousy review poster (as noted last night) after a show, because I always see the good in every corps, even the ones I don't usually care for from a concept point-of-view. This year, I find myself in a bit of a quandry, because my favorite corps is having a rough start, and I am also rooting heavily for two old names to come back strong and be reborn into powerhouse corps again in the foreseeable future.

I cannot let my emotion for MY corps stop me from appreciating a return to higher competitiveness of some others that have in essence "returned from the dead" for all intent and purpose. I was hoping this would be a scored competition as well.

I'm a little irked at it not being... :wub:

rain maybe?

rain maybe?

dunno...

???

I certainly hope it was nothing... ummmmm.... suspicious. :wub:

I have to admit, I was never a real Trooper fan, even though I had many friends who marched there. There was just something about them in Racine, as they marched on, the thunderclouds came overhead and they were under the lights! I almost expected the Ghostriders to come flying overhead when the drum major gave his salute. I had a tear in my eye at the end of the opener. Very wonderful indeed!

Go gett'em Troop!!!

Playing Ghost Riders with those guys was a real blast as well, although short lived.

you know, I'm a lousy review poster (as noted last night) after a show, because I always see the good in every corps, even the ones I don't usually care for from a concept point-of-view. This year, I find myself in a bit of a quandry, because my favorite corps is having a rough start, and I am also rooting heavily for two old names to come back strong and be reborn into powerhouse corps again in the foreseeable future.

I cannot let my emotion for MY corps stop me from appreciating a return to higher competitiveness of some others that have in essence "returned from the dead" for all intent and purpose. I was hoping this would be a scored competition as well.

I'm a little irked at it not being... :wub:

So if the show wasn't entertaining to you, then it was a waste?

So if the show wasn't entertaining to you, then it was a waste?

Oh no. Not at all. I didn't say that. I didn't even IMPLY that.

Any chance the corps have to play in front of fans is a good thing. I just don't get why it wasn't a scored competition... that's all.

Maybe the explanation is out now...

Oh no. Not at all. I didn't say that. I didn't even IMPLY that.

Any chance the corps have to play in front of fans is a good thing. I just don't get why it wasn't a scored competition... that's all.

Maybe the explanation is out now...

"Discretion of the sponsors," was the announced reason by the PA guy. Both the tickets and the programs used the word "competition." If I remember correctly, I paid $2 more for an exhibition than I paid for the competition in Racine. I was miffed - so were those around me in the stands.

"Discretion of the sponsors," was the announced reason by the PA guy. Both the tickets and the programs used the word "competition." If I remember correctly, I paid $2 more for an exhibition than I paid for the competition in Racine. I was miffed - so were those around me in the stands.

Tickets at Racine were $17. Tickets at S. Milwaukee were $17 between the 40's and $13 outside the 40's. At the gate of course. If you bought in advance, I believe both had a price reduction.

Playing Ghost Riders with those guys was a real blast as well, although short lived.

Was that '85 or '86 when the Troopers did the Rose Parade?