Gads, do I gotta beg here?

seriously.... Anyone????

Inquiring minds, and all that.....

Ok there had to be at least ONE DCP'er at Belding.

I was there but I didn't take notes to be able to do a review. Here's some quick thoughts. Of course, these are just my own very biased opinions. The announcer was a blast. I was over in the souvenir area, hearing him talking on the PA, when I realized he was standing right next to me with a wireless mic. I thought he did a great job and was very enthusiastic.

Legends started the show appearing in exhibition as they did the night before in Toledo. They took on some David Holsinger music and did a very nice job with it. I'm always a little nervous when a new corps goes for difficult stuff that has been done very well in Div I - in this case Cadets 93 - but they sold me on it with some solid playing and nice guard work.

belding1.jpg

Dutch Boy began the competitive portion of the evening with a theme of 2001 A Space Odyssey. The corps starts out with most of the members on the front side line - side one facing backfield with a few tubas and lone guard member around the 20, an unusual beginning. Nice guard work throughout including some flag spinning while on their backs near the end.

belding2.jpg

Troopers were first up in Division I competition. The year off - and Fred Morris - have done wonders, especially with recruiting. Their 60+ member horn line played very powerfully and was the most impressive section. The music and look is definitely Troopers, including a sunburst.

belding3.jpg

Crossmen were next performing their Metamorphosis show. Announced as being from Allentown PA (in Toledo it was sponsored by YEA), the corps, of course, is now from San Antonio. The drill makes good use of the field, though some of the impact in the ballad is lost with too much playing backfield. Guard has been steadily improving the last few days and percussion continues to be a strength. Some improvements in volume from the brass over Toledo but other aspects still a little shaky, mostly I think to the movement demands while playing. I'm sure this will be addressed over the next two days. Show starts with a honor guard marching down the 50 carrying a corps flag, PA flag and TX flag to the opening Russian Christmas Music. The rest of the show mixes together Symphonic Metamorphosis, other Hindemith material, DJ Food's The Crow and other pieces with familiar Crossmen themes such as First Circle and Birdland. The big moments for the crowd were the company front on the big hit in Russian Christmas and the end of the ballad.

belding4.jpg

Colts finished out the first half with their Equinox production. Can't say I understand how Sunset Boulevard, Troika and a string quartet all belong in the same show or how that relates to the theme, but regardless I loved the show. The show was performed very well, lots of volume from the brass and the most expressive guard of the evening, reminding me of the late 1990s Colts. I had them above Glassmen and two points over Crossmen, but I was sitting low. I thought the new uniforms gave them a very nice look.

belding5.jpg

Blue Stars opened up the second half of the show. Another corps with new uniforms - gives them a very different look. The show consists of Firebird and pieces by Tchaikovsky and Saint-Saens. While the show was performed well, I was surprised by how close they were to Crossmen.

belding6.jpg

Glassmen begin their show with a moving warm up. Some percussion starts in the pit and then the guard starts dancing. The theme is Gitano, which I guess is supposed to be Spanish gypsy, I'm really not sure. The little kid sitting next to me thought they were pirates and at times the music seemed more pirate-like. I was expecting something different, though I had only heard the show title and not the selections. Like the Colts, the Glassmen have a very expressive guard. In these costumes, they were a lot of fun to watch. I thought they would have been very close to Crossmen in score.

belding7.jpg

Blue Knights were up next. Another dark show from BK, featuring the music of Shostakovich. I really enjoyed the music but I have a hard time watching the body movement. I guess either you love it or you don't - I fall into the latter category. The excessive rolling on the ground and postures often distract me from their production and such was the case tonight. They did have the coolest drill move of the night, though I'm sure my explanation won't do it justice. They somehow end up with this diagonal coming out of nowhere from the 50 toward side 2 with some of the members kneeling. I did like the music and overall enjoyed this year much more than last.

belding8.jpg

Cavaliers closed out the show with their Billy Joel themed show. I didn't particularly like it in Toledo but I think it is growing on me - a little. I listened to The Essential Billy Joel on my drive from Toledo, so maybe that got me in the right mood. I have high expectations from the Cavaliers but didn't see the kind of drill moves and creativity I've come to expect. On the other hand, I thought the blending of some of the rock songs with the classical piece was well done. Clearly the winner tonight, they march, play, spin and dance with such confidence.

belding9.jpg

All in all, an enjoyable evening in Michigan.

yes yes, Thank you for the great review with pics. I've said it before, but these reviews need more pics! :)

Man, if the Crossmen's honor guard is going to be marching right down the 50 to start off the show, they better sure as hell learn to march in STEP!!!!!!!!!

They're in step with each other.... :huh: