Cadets v Phantom

Cadets v Phantom  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win at Lexinton

• Cadets
    • Phantom

Id just like to give a shout out to all the brilliant minds that are still voting in the poll an hour after the scores came in. Do you feel smarter 'predicting' something after it has happened???

You mean the scores have been announced??? :laugh:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of the biggest things that has to be factored into early season scores is the carry-over factor from the prior year. Cadets at this point last year were still getting the carry-over factor of the year before and of being able to take a show that looked like a potential dog at the beginning of 2005 and perfecting it into a championship winning show/corps. This year, The Cadets have had to fight off the image of an unsuccessful show last year while (through hard work and great execution) convincing the judges to reward another controversial show.

For The Cadets to be scoring so well at this point is a great indicator that this is one of this year's top shows and top corps. Whereas I think that The Cavies started the year in the glow of the reigning champion, have started to lose that positive "aura", and have started to be judged on this year's show and corps. Phantom is always unpredictable but they still don't seem to have the complete visual package to deliver against everything The Cadets are putting on the field (at this point anyways).

Ahhh yes - the carryover factor...

...Huh?!?!

IMHO that's just one more silly over analsis of scoring trends across seasons, regions, etc.

I didn't mean to chafe you. Here, have some of this:

deathbond.jpg

I once knew a man, a fine man, I believe he's serving in our Navy as I speak, that had the ability to shoot a similiar substance out of his anus...and to the tune of the 1812 overture no less!

diggles! B)

this is the same old 5th-8th place corps mentality. "we didnt win the championship because (insert sad excuse and baby voice here)." we listen to the whining on tour, in the lots, on free days, then we must read it for years on the internet after we age out. simple fact: the cadets beat phantom. not because of some strange conspiracy, or momentum from the previous year. fact is, the cadets, cavaliers, and blue devils have been SMOKING PR for nearly 9 years now. why is anyone surprised?

if PR really wants to win a championship, they could try moving their visual design and music selections into the 21st century? (oh yeah, and the overblowing thing too). if you want that championship, how bout you MAN UP, stop making excuses, and just do it.

this is the same old 5th-8th place corps mentality. "we didnt win the championship because (insert sad excuse and baby voice here)." we listen to the whining on tour, in the lots, on free days, then we must read it for years on the internet after we age out. simple fact: the cadets beat phantom. not because of some strange conspiracy, or momentum from the previous year. fact is, the cadets, cavaliers, and blue devils have been SMOKING PR for nearly 9 years now. why is anyone surprised?

if PR really wants to win a championship, they could try moving their visual design and music selections into the 21st century? (oh yeah, and the overblowing thing too). if you want that championship, how bout you MAN UP, stop making excuses, and just do it.

Changed your screen name, did you? Hoping for a fresh start? :)

Well, I actually agree with you. Very little of the whining you see is actually coming from Regiment alumns. I can understand why the fanbase is frustrated, though I may not agree with their method of talking about it. I am not at all surprised that Cadets beat Regiment. Cadets are a darned fine corps...it's going to be a tough road to catch up to them. I don't think it is a conspiracy, or momentum from the previous years, and I doubt any alumns feel that way, so don't make the mistake of thinking that what some fans think is what the organization thinks. You know better than that.

As for your points...they HAVE moved up their visual design. 2005 and 2006 were good examples of that. I believe they are on the right track visually. Now...as for your second point...come on. Are you serious? Move their music selections into the 21st century? What exactly does that mean? Is Billy Joel 21st century? Is James Bond 21st century? Are Blue Shades and Symphonic Movement 21st century? Or do you mean that Regiment should start chopping up and cutting their musical arrangements so as to play only 2-bar phrases with random percussion and pit accents in order to be able to march 8-count sets?

Because if that is what you think, no thank you.

I would rather Regiment NEVER win a DCI title if to do so they have to change the way they play music. Give me a fleshed out, full-phrased melody any day of the week over something that has been chopped up to fit a drill chart.

I'd like Regiment to win...of course I would. But not at that price. If that is what it takes, then I am ok with never winning again. Just give me a great show that I can enjoy.

Edited by The Tsar

Well, I actually agree with you. Very little of the whining you see is actually coming from Regiment alumns. I can understand why the fanbase is frustrated, though I may not agree with their method of talking about it.

As for your points...they HAVE moved up their visual design. 2005 and 2006 were good examples of that. I believe they are on the right track visually. Now...as for your second point...come on. Are you serious? Move their music selections into the 21st century? What exactly does that mean? Is Billy Joel 21st century? Is James Bond 21st century? Are Blue Shades and Symphonic Movement 21st century? Or do you mean that Regiment should start chopping up and cutting their musical arrangements so as to play only 2-bar phrases with random percussion and pit accents in order to be able to march 8-count sets?

I would rather Regiment NEVER win a DCI title if to do so they have to change the way they play music. Give me a fleshed out, full-phrased melody any day of the week over something that has been chopped up to fit a drill chart.

I'd like Regiment to win...of course I would. But not at that price. If that is what it takes, then I am ok with never winning again. Just give me a great show that I can enjoy.

no just changed email addresses and you can only register one screen name per email address. (never understood that)

as far as the other stuff, thanks for the response. i said all i have to say, and i don't feel the need to get into a pissing match. and to clear things up, i wasn't directing my 'whining' comments at PR people, but rather 80% of 5th-8th place corps and their fans (moreso their fans and alumni rather than members).

"well i'll have you know that THE phantom regiment placed second at drum corps international's world championships last year!" calm down kimosabe. that's great for PR. but for the latter half of the 90's and half of the 2000's, PR was a "5th-8th" corps, and somehow the fans and some members adopted the same "the world hates us cause we're so much better" attitude. for the longest time i was so sick of hearing g-men talk about how they were getting screwed by the scores. i mean, get real.

Well, I actually agree with you. Very little of the whining you see is actually coming from Regiment alumns. I can understand why the fanbase is frustrated, though I may not agree with their method of talking about it. I am not at all surprised that Cadets beat Regiment. Cadets are a darned fine corps...it's going to be a tough road to catch up to them. I don't think it is a conspiracy, or momentum from the previous years, and I doubt any alumns feel that way, so don't make the mistake of thinking that what some fans think is what the organization thinks. You know better than that.

Oooooh boy.... this guy ^0^ may need a jacket... The Tsar COMPLIMENTED the Cadets??????!!!!!1 one

Just joshin' ya man... but you may want to bookmark that post for the inevitable time when people accuse you of being a hater. :)

:huh::huh::wub::wub::wub:

I could not agree more.

no just changed email addresses and you can only register one screen name per email address. (never understood that)

as far as the other stuff, thanks for the response. i said all i have to say, and i don't feel the need to get into a pissing match. and to clear things up, i wasn't directing my 'whining' comments at PR people, but rather 80% of 5th-8th place corps and their fans (moreso their fans and alumni rather than members).

"well i'll have you know that THE phantom regiment placed second at drum corps international's world championships last year!" calm down kimosabe. that's great for PR. but for the latter half of the 90's and half of the 2000's, PR was a "5th-8th" corps, and somehow the fans and some members adopted the same "the world hates us cause we're so much better" attitude. for the longest time i was so sick of hearing g-men talk about how they were getting screwed by the scores. i mean, get real.

Like I said, I agree with you. I don't care for the "victim" mentality when the Cadets' fans trot it out, and I certainly don't want to see it in association with Regiment either. We take our lumps, and we take them like men. There's no need to involve ourselves in conspiracy theories when the explanation is very simple: There are corps out there who have been better, certainly over the last decade. All I want -and I suspect this is all an alumnus really wants as well- is to have Regiment bring us a show that we can enjoy and for it to be judged fairly. That's all we can ask for.

However, I am hoping you will expand on the point I addressed about how Regiment needs to bring their music into the 21st Century. It sounds to me like you were just lashing out because the whining ticked you off (I dig it, it ticks me off as well), but if you are serious about it, I want to know what you mean.

However, I am hoping you will expand on the point I addressed about how Regiment needs to bring their music into the 21st Century. It sounds to me like you were just lashing out because the whining ticked you off (I dig it, it ticks me off as well), but if you are serious about it, I want to know what you mean.

well, i'll try to answer your question without stirring the pot. when i say 21st century, i don't mean playing music written in the 21st century. think of it this way,

1. when was the last time you saw a regiment show and said to yourself "wow, that's never been done before."

2. if you took the 2006 regiment show and implanted it into 1993, it would fit in perfectly. but if you put in say 2001 scv, 2000 cavaliers, or 2000+ cadets into 1993, people would freak out because it's too "progressive" (similar to how people reacted to star....it was ahead of it's time). personally, when i watch any 2000+ PR show, i feel like i am watching a show from the early 90's. the visual design is all stock charts that have been done for 15 years. the tempos are VERY 1990's.

3. phantom's shows seem to have the attitude of "here is our music. oh yeah there's some drill behind it." the two just don't seem to complement each other. most people are right. you can get the full effect of phantom's shows by listening to the CD's. and no, you cannot get the full effect of a rosemont, scv, or cadets show on CD. but this is drum corps international, not symphony and orchestra international.

now on the other side of it, phantom has done some amazing things for the activity, and i applaud the organization and it's marching members.

hope that helps

Edited by Marlin Hunter