Cadets v Phantom

Cadets v Phantom  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win at Lexinton

• Cadets
    • Phantom

You know, as much as I like regiment, and most of their fans, you lose a little credibility when you lump everyone but regiment into the "8 beats of playing / 90 bars of drum break crowd".

I appologize. Told you I don't like it when I go on a rant.

RM - trying to be humble

ampssuck

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. if you took the 2006 regiment show and implanted it into 1993, it would fit in perfectly. but if you put in say 2001 scv, 2000 cavaliers, or 2000+ cadets into 1993, people would freak out because it's too "progressive" (similar to how people reacted to star....it was ahead of it's time). personally, when i watch any 2000+ PR show, i feel like i am watching a show from the early 90's. the visual design is all stock charts that have been done for 15 years. the tempos are VERY 1990's.

Killer, to be honest - I'm a HUGE 90s drum corps fan. So, while that may seem like disrespect from your point of view - I would much rather march in a 90s style corps than your "modern" corps. To each their own, I'll keep cheering for Regiment, and you keep cheering for whoever does it for you. :)

It's wonderful to embrace diversity isn't it?

Geez, it's Thursday night already--let it die.

Nothing wrong with "That 90's Show"--I'm told it was the only one to elicit a standing ovation at finals last year.

I don't mean a "gee-I'm-gonna-stand-up-now-and-stretch-my-legs" standing ovation. I mean a 1993-style SPONTANEOUS standing ovation--during the performance!

I didn't read the rest of the posts--thought this thread died a few days ago. But to deride PR because they do a popular show? C'mon. If you don't like their results, try doing something outside the public domain--it seems to be working pretty well for Rockford!

And I've done plenty to praise all the corps from finals last year, especially Cadets. So don't anybody go blasting me as a biased PR vet. I am, but I try to do a pretty decent job of taking a step backwards (with rolled toe :laugh: ) and making an objective statement here and there.

well, i'll try to answer your question without stirring the pot. when i say 21st century, i don't mean playing music written in the 21st century. think of it this way,

1. when was the last time you saw a regiment show and said to yourself "wow, that's never been done before."

2. if you took the 2006 regiment show and implanted it into 1993, it would fit in perfectly. but if you put in say 2001 scv, 2000 cavaliers, or 2000+ cadets into 1993, people would freak out because it's too "progressive" (similar to how people reacted to star....it was ahead of it's time). personally, when i watch any 2000+ PR show, i feel like i am watching a show from the early 90's. the visual design is all stock charts that have been done for 15 years. the tempos are VERY 1990's.

3. phantom's shows seem to have the attitude of "here is our music. oh yeah there's some drill behind it." the two just don't seem to complement each other. most people are right. you can get the full effect of phantom's shows by listening to the CD's. and no, you cannot get the full effect of a rosemont, scv, or cadets show on CD. but this is drum corps international, not symphony and orchestra international.

now on the other side of it, phantom has done some amazing things for the activity, and i applaud the organization and it's marching members.

hope that helps

1.) You know, I kind of said that last year when the trumpets picked up baritones!

2.) I take that as a compliment.

3.) When your music is better greater than everyone else's...

1.) You know, I kind of said that last year when the trumpets picked up baritones!

2.) I take that as a compliment.

3.) When your music is better greater than everyone else's...

I love this. In post number 1 - say the debate is old and that we should lay this thread to rest, as it is long past the event for which it was created. In post number 2, stir the pot some more ^0^

I love DCP :P

Ok -- Lets just say this. No matter WHAT the "Cadets" play, sing, speak , narrate..............

They are the Dominating force in the Universe ! No one can match them nor beat them! They are to be considered what every other DIV 1 corps should strive to be.

No matter what they do, how they do it.... they are GODS ! And the Judges know this and consistantly reward them for just that --- CONSISTENCY! If they stray from that form, it's not their faults, blame the other corps out there. If other corps can't meet, beat or compete with those from Bergen County, y'all better fold because you will never beat them no matter what you do!

HEAR THAT PHANTOM REGIMENT ????????????

====================================================================

Ok, I woke up from my terrible nightmare!

Now C'mon ! It's June folks! And the way I see it there are only two scenarios here in DIV 1 ...........

Cadets win ---or --- Cavies repeat. end of story.

Now, as a die hard, Phantom Phan, supported, booster, volunteer, sponsor.... I have a sublime recolection of 1996 when Regiment went from 4th to 1st, and this show seems to have just as much potential! I don't believe we've seen all that Rockford has in store for their visual and musical book, so

THIS "I" BELIEVE...................................

Regiment will surprise us all by their dedication, perseverence and silent quest to put the best show out there they can, and you know what? They will be THE REAL winners .... not thos yielding a big DCI trophy!

SARCASM OFF --- off my soapbox

I love this. In post number 1 - say the debate is old and that we should lay this thread to rest, as it is long past the event for which it was created. In post number 2, stir the pot some more ^0^

I love DCP :P

I aim to please...

HEAR THAT PHANTOM REGIMENT ????????????

This I hear...YOU are my newfound HERO! Everyone go back a post and check out the signature--Bachelor's in Music Education--MBA!!

I'm not alone any more!! Yippee! And she's a PHAN!!

(BME/MBA from UNT)

...lots of us either have, or are in the process of getting advanced degrees