After listening to the APDs

Anyone listen to all Top 6 yet? ANYONE?? Any thoughts?

(Am I the only one?? :laugh: )

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

so the only one I had time to download and listen to today is Phantom. Now I'm a guard person - so keep that in mind, but...I love that show. The opening marimba / vibes thing is awesome, the opener rocks and I really like the flugel duet (I'm guessing its a duet) in the ballad.

Now I marched Cavies '88 - and I really like their version of Fire Bird (brief as it is).

I can't wait to see this show so I can watch Adam Sage's visual interpretation of the music.

Wish I could see it live - but I live in Montreal - where drum corps is pretty much dead!!!!!! Thnak god for the webcasts!!!

Later,

Mike

If you view the signature below, (which means I'm too new to be un-biased) I can't say anything other than....for those of you writing off Academy because of the "limited" tour, take a listen to the APD of Walnut and tell me what you think. Honestly.

I'm not trying to imply they are top 12 or not, but some people are questioning Div 1??? Are you joking. Take a listen for yourselves.

I too agree that the APDs are of great quality this year! It is so early in the season, and BTW, who am I to rank these corps anyhow! These are just my opinions, as everyone has one of those "you know whats" along with their opinions! :worthy:

Just listening to SCV and wow do they have some potential for this show. There is some great moments arranged within the hornline and uniqueness in the percussion line, then just a few "stale" moments (for now I am sure). It is one of those challenging shows that once cleaned will be stellar. Cannot wait to see what they do with the drill to this book! This is classic Vanguard to me!

BD is a doing some neat things, but the creativity of the arrangement is not as inspiring to me as the SCV book. They will surely perform the Devil out of (or into) it.

Cavaliers are smooth in their approach...sort of an easy listening version of the Cavaliers. Somewhat disappointed with the percussion book as a whole (especially compared to SCV). I can only imagine that I will get a better sense of what they are doing once I see them on the field. I loved Machine live, but can count on one hand the times I have played the audio recording since I saw them at finals last year.

Bluecoats have a very enjoyable, bluesy and edgy show, while maintaining that Bluecoats appeal. They do so well at maintaining an identity and moving forward with a fresh approach. When the hornline runs are with it, it will be sweet! The top side of that brass line has some additude now, as do the Contras! Great back field effect and I adore what the ballad "will be" in August...so I will be "watching you" in anticipation to see it grow. The percussion book seems to be somewhat redundant to recent years, but good nonetheless.

Cadets, they have the power of a champion early on in the game. The phrasing is so well done around the narration even tho I dispise the abundance of talking. You know when you have rude people at a show talking all around you and you want to tell them to shut up so you can hear, that is my reaction. Does this show have staying power...we shall see?

Phantom Regiment has provided classy arranging again this year and boy are they mature in their performance approach. This is a show which I believe has some real growth potential once the edges are rounded off. The effect in the pit is surreal, and the field percussion is so crisp. After seeing them live, the resemblance of the corps proper moving as a flock of birds in flight formation is accented so well by the music. The soloists and duet have great talent. Love the big hit and turn around at 3:10. This show will speak for itself throughout the year...I for one love this show and really appreciate what they are doing.

(Is the guy in crowd or where ever as the recording winds down who yells "Go....Go...Awesome" on DCP? :laugh: )

Edited by stockman365

Anyone listen to all Top 6 yet? ANYONE?? Any thoughts?

(Am I the only one?? :laugh: )

I can not listen at work but will download BD and Vanguard when I get home.. I have downloaded and listened to Bluecoats and Phantom and viewed the others from Annapolis Web Cast.

SCV I need a good listen from a good recording. I really like what I have heard so far.

I really like Bluecoats music, it is growing on me the more I listen to it.,

Phantom’s drum line sounds very strong again. I like the hole book but they sounded winded at times? Maybe the microphones?.

Cadets can play. I am a drummers so I can not speak for tone.hehe But they are loud and very fast drill.

Cavies I do not like the music except for the closer.

BD from the Pavilion recordings I did not like it that much. We will see after tonight.

BD from the Pavilion recordings I did not like it that much. We will see after tonight.

Trust me, the Pavilion recording is crap compared to the APD!!! It wasn't finished, and it lacked members. Plus some rewrites.

Look for major rewrites of the 2nd half of the show. ;-) that's all you get for now.

Look for major rewrites of the 2nd half of the show. ;-) that's all you get for now.

I was thinking this might be another 2002 for rewrites for them after putting them into my stereo and realized, yep, they need to go back the drawing board on this...

Good for them, looking forward to what they come up with! Happy 50th BD.

:doh: Listening to The Cadets for like, the nth time, and I still don't get it. What's the deal on them having, apparently, such an awesome brass line this year? :doh:

They sound very crass tone quality-wise. Yeah, they have a lot of energy behind it, but they are still the same old Cadets. How does their hornline sound better than the other top lines this year? I'm not talking licks, and I'm not talking energy. I'm talking that full, rich, lush sound.

I don't pay attention to the judges scores, I just hear what I hear. And oh yeah, I hear SCV's 1999 closer in The Cadets show ^OO^

Edited by PeeWee

Mike,

I've thought the same thing from what I've heard of them so far. That's a Gino hornline for you.

They play very well together, but sometimes it's hard to get over that edgy sound.