Interesting Hopblog quote from today

Is it just me or does this seem a little self-serving? What I mean is this:

It kind of sounds like what he has planned to do this year is start the season with as controversial of a show as possible in order to generate fan intrigue and discussion.

Then, as more and more of us complai...er...let our opinions known, Hop's going to change things knowing full well that we were going to criticize "his" show. This makes him the hero.

I don't know. Just the overall feeling I got from this blog entry. This probably makes me sound like a Hoppy-hater, and yes, for the most part I don't understand the changes HE wants to make to the activity.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, does it surprise you though :laugh: ? I never remember Mason being that involved at Star...he was always willing to take credit though.

George has always been involved with the corps. He was the drum guy until he became the director, but he's always been involved with show design. I guess he really enjoys it :P

It kind of sounds like what he has planned to do this year is start the season with as controversial of a show as possible in order to generate fan intrigue and discussion.

Then, as more and more of us complai...er...let our opinions known, Hop's going to change things knowing full well that we were going to criticize "his" show. This makes him the hero.

I don't know. Just the overall feeling I got from this blog entry. This probably makes me sound like a Hoppy-hater, and yes, for the most part I don't understand the changes HE wants to make to the activity.

Lol...talk about a lose lose situation.

Perhaps on the Finals DVD for this season, he won't be apologizing the entire time for the poor design of the show. It sounds like he planned to cut a lot of the narration out from the beginning.

I think you're reading too much into it. The Cadets (hell... all corps for that matter) are constantly making changes to their show. Over the past couple years, the Cadets are somewhat notorious for throwing a bunch of crap to the wall at the beginning of the season to see what sticks.

As their director, Hop is pretty open as to his thoughts and feelings as the show progresses. The fact that he posted about changes that are in the works shouldn't shock you.

It sounds like he planned to cut a lot of the narration out from the beginning.

You could say that, but its no different than his regular approach to show design. Some years, they start out with 13 minutes of show music at spring training, and cut down until they get what they want. I want say its the best design method in the world, but its not something new involving narration..

Perhaps on the Finals DVD for this season, he won't be apologizing the entire time for the poor design of the show. It sounds like he planned to cut a lot of the narration out from the beginning.

Threads like this really show how Cadets, and Hopkins specifically, just will never win with some of you no matter what they do.

I don't care if it's self serving, or if he planned to do it. Whatever. All I care about is LESS naration. Thank God.

No, I don't think he " planned to do this year is start the season with as controversial of a show as possible in order to generate fan intrique and discussion ". My guess, while his comments on the blog today demonstrate he is not immune to fan feedback, I suspect fan intrigue and discussion were not his primary concern at all in this years show design. I believe he wanted his staff to put together a " winning " show in the off season ( and he may just have done that with this show ) and fan discussion and intrigue was way down the list of his priorities,and probably not on his radar screen at all in the shows planning.

Edited by X DM

You could say that, but its no different than his regular approach to show design. Some years, they start out with 13 minutes of show music at spring training, and cut down until they get what they want. I want say its the best design method in the world, but its not something new involving narration..

I know. I was just pointing out how it probably wasn't solely due to judges tapes. He probably just wanted to see how judges would react before doing what he ultimately was going to do anyways- cut down the narration.

Threads like this really show how Cadets, and Hopkins specifically, just will never win with some of you no matter what they do.

That's nice. I wasn't trying to cut Hopkins down. I seriously hope he is happier with this year's show. When I listened to him apologizing for last year's show design, I honestly felt sorry for him, because he wasn't happy with it. I really want him to be happy with the ideas he puts on the field, even if I don't like it. A corps director shouldn't have to apologize (over and over again) at the end of the season for not doing what he wished he should have done.