Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corps

One of the aspects of KAC and other alumni corps that I think is overlooked is what it can do for our health. Since we began this undertaking in early '06 we have had a number of KAC folks undergo significant weight loss, many who feel better, one who no longer needs his mobility chair, and just general improved overall conditioning. We're eating better to stay fit for this. My spouse (a VK alum who is in her early 40s and plays French Horn in KAC) is down to 105 now and looks years younger. I recently had to buy a bunch of new pants because my waist size has dropped to a 30. We can actually keep up with and wear out our very active 7-year old now (Me: "C'mon son, let's go for another 8 mile bike ride today, it'll build character!" My kid: "Oh no-- Daaaad!") <--- true story

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of guys in the MSARP had to have their pants adjusted in August.

We measured for our uniforms at the first camp in Feb.

I actually lost 5 lbs. in one day at a July rehearsal when it was 95 degrees out and a tad bit humid.

I must've drank 3 or 4 gallons of water that day.

....My spouse (a VK alum who is in her early 40s and plays French Horn in KAC)...

No way, dude! And here we all thought you were a cradle-robber! :)

Edited by GuyW

:laugh: Why all the hate?

Anyway, thanks to the Has Been for helping me choose a name for this forum (and possibly my next album!), and will someone PLEASE refund Nancy's StarCorps donation so she'll let it go already? ^0^

I know a lot of guys in the MSARP had to have their pants adjusted in August.

We measured for our uniforms at the first camp in Feb.

I actually lost 5 lbs. in one day at a July rehearsal when it was 95 degrees out and a tad bit humid.

I must've drank 3 or 4 gallons of water that day.

yep. My pants were tight at the Feb. camp we did the fittings at... on Aug. 12th they were practically falling off me.

And that July camp was indeed a "tad" bit humid... :laugh:

QUOTE(neholgate @ Jul 11 2007, 03:39 PM)

The planning needs to be in place before you file a 501, IMO. A board was named, website link started with place for people to "sponser kids"...but there AIN'T any!

Starcorps planning WAS in place and a board elected/named before they filed. There IS a place on the website for sponsors I do believe.

Sorry for any confusion. The "ain't" was in reference to members, not the planning. I can see everthing (mission statement etc) from the website.

QUOTE("neholgate")

The year first year after they (VK), filed they put out a competing drumline and guard (2006). Corps followed. Point is, they were doing something as soon as they filed. Kingsmen focused on the adults (the one organization), and haven't done anything (or am I wrong...PLEASE let me know.) with the monies, for a junior corps. Don't understand how KStar can take money from donations and haven't moved forward with at least SOME effort.

You are wrong. I believe there have been plenty of planning meetings and the like the whole time. Dunno if all the minutes have been posted or not or maybe it's on hold till the alumni corps is done? Have to ask a Starcorps board member I suppose. I do beleive that much of the equipment we're using is probably going to the Starcorps, and any monies collected directly for the Starcorps of course are being saved/banked? Why isn't that ok? I'd rather save up for a couple years and have the self funded alumni corps out performing and spreading the word for that time than just jump into it with nothing saved? I mean....that was a big part of the downfall of the original AK in the first place. Not having enough funds to keep ourselves afloat,etc. This will not happen with the Starcorp with the strong alumni base we have. I'm with xrifle on this, and I do appreciate Gary Lima's kind words.

I too appreciate other people's side to the story. That's why I asked. I wanted to get the whole side of the story, not a defensive argument.

BTW, in later years the corps downfall was more of funding with no production of an actual unit, no?

Sorry you don't think I'm "civil" enough, heh.

I never said you weren't civil. I was thanking someone else for their response.

I've directly answered you several times I guess you just didn't like the answers....or something.

I honestly felt my points were being missed (like the read/response in the first lines).

You seem to not fully understand my question.

I was just responding to your apparent attack and calling into question the integrity of what we are doing. Believe it or not I DO respect you and have told fellow alumni that you are good person. But I do think some VK like yourself have a bugaboo about anything "Kingsmen". Understandable...I have the same about VK. I now await your anit-AK bus signs and yelling "VK all the way" from the stands at DCI. haha. (better wear a kevlar vest. The rifle line is trained to shoot, haha Shaadaapp...I'm trying to be funny and civil here, LOL.)

Any you claim I was attacking you... (read snippy response above)

Nice to know that you really do harbor ill feelings for VK

I appreciate that honesty.

QUOTE("neholgate")

Wouldn't it have been a little nice to have some young people, people that were going to carry on the Kingsmen legacy march right next to you? Young people that can learn and appreciate old school, that probably have more stamina to endure the nasty heat and sun :^).

Actually we DO have a few youngsters with us now you mention it. Just not a whole corps worth.

Then why didn't you say so when I asked POSTS ago? Are these new junior corps members? That is the kind of awesome experience that I really appreciate from DCA corps. Even better when it father marching with son etc...

Hope KAC is planning on setting up a booth during DCI with Starcorps merchandise (and sign-up sheets). If not, better do so. Once kids in the stands get to see a balls to the walls DC, old school style, they should be flocking to the souvie stand.

QUOTE("neholgate")

I fully support the organization going forth a beginning a new competitive corps.. As I stated before, the more corps in So Cal, the better.

The organization is and will be putting forth the new competitive corps.....so we'd appreciate it if you would stop ranting about the Starcorps not performing yet or "now",ok?

Um... no.

I will always state my opinion, whether or not people like it. As a M.D. once wrote in a ltter of recommendation, "Nancy tells it like it is". I wasn't afraid to speak my mind then, and not now.

Like I said, it would've been cool....

QUOTE("neholgate")

It was an opportunity missed.

Naaaaaa......just we're doing it different than you would.

Well, yea.

AND I might add there are several great VK with us to boot. We welcome them and are enjoying their spirit and help.

Yes you do...and some former Dips members too. Dede is the greatest (you too Debbi and Anita). Is Ms. Southstone still with ya? I haven't written to her since I wrote, hyping her to do this. I know she performed with ya last summer (she was a sop player from the Dips).

Nancy

This post has been edited by PaNors77: Yesterday, 06:01 AM

It takes a lot of money to field a corps. Funning your fundraising operations a few years before trying to field may be a smart move. I believe that those Academy people from Phoenix operated for about three years before fielding a corps.

I appreciate that. It has been done in the past and in recent years. Impulse was competing the very next year and if memory serves me well, Spirit of Atlanta didn't only compete their first year, but made finals.

Both KAC and Starcorps (I'm not ranting people, just discussing) were started at the same time. With all that hype and progress that KAC had I'm just a little saddened that it didn't spill over to the junior corps. KAC did so much it such a short peroid of time. I'm sure they could've produced something great within that same time frame for the juniors as well.

Nancy

:doh: Why all the hate?

Anyway, thanks to the Has Been for helping me choose a name for this forum (and possibly my next album!), and will someone PLEASE refund Nancy's StarCorps donation so she'll let it go already? ^0^

I never said it was my money.

Nancy

I find it odd that this "alumni" corps has people in it that werent even alive when the corps was around, hardly "alumni" if you ask me.

I find it odd that this "alumni" corps has people in it that werent even alive when the corps was around, hardly "alumni" if you ask me.

If they would've made it exclusive then the number of members marching would've been smaller. Making the the youngest age-out member being somewhere around 41 now.

They wanted a big powereful corps. I see nothing wrong with inviting others that want to pay tribute. They are not considered "alumni" by the corps, but as "guests".

Nancy