14 years ago: 1993

...I didn't remember it raining while we were on the field.
Neither me. I remember it raining on Madison. It was freakin' pouring.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't seem to stop that night I heard

...I didn't remember it raining while we were on the field.

Isn't it funny that we just block out some things and others things that happened in the same show seem like yesterday?

Isn't it funny that we just block out some things and others things that happened in the same show seem like yesterday?

I was thinking the same thing. I definitely remember it raining on Madison and Cavies. I thought it stopped by the time we got out there. It probably started again in the middle of the show...that's probably why I don't remember it.

When did you march? It poured on Freelancers at prelims in '84. They borrowed plumes from Blue Knights(?) for Finals. SCV took a penalty for being late stepping off. It was like a mile walk from the buses to the stadium. Back then, the prelims order of appearance was a complete shuffle of the top 12. Edited by VKMello84

No kidding...probably the worst finals site ever...I loved how they painted that crappy brown field green and then the paint got all over shoes and uniforms...classic...I also loved all of the falling down and drops the weather caused. I was watching our video yearbook the other day and the footage from their cameras really showed how hard it was raining during our performance...I didn't remember it raining while we were on the field.

What night did it Rain during your Performance. I wasn't present Semis..but Quarter and finals I was. I thought it only rained during Madison show on Finals?

Edited by Zeke

All I know is that our housing site wasn't air-conditioned and that was the year the Freelancers guard wore the long sleeve yellow uniforms that were SO hot because we had to wear a long sleeve, full-body suit underneath THAT. We used to take bets on the number of people that would fall out from heat exhaustion/dehydration during the day's final run-thru(s) and at the completion of the shows once we were outside of the stadium.

The best, though, was being on field painting crew and getting up early the first day and painting all three fields with all the extra reference marks that you don't always paint and then going and eating breakfast. Unbeknownst to any of us, while we were eating breakfast, the groundskeepers mowed ALL THREE FIELDS!!! So... after breakfast the field painting crew painted all three fields AGAIN while the rest of the corps did sectionals until the fields were ready. Six fields in one morning in that heat and humidity. It sucked!!!!

By the way, I remember it raining on Madison in Finals, but not anywhere else. It was a downpour though.

Jackson was a mess. As I recall, it was supposed to be part of the rotating championship sites idea they had, but Jackson was scrapped rather quickly after the end of that week.

From what I heard, Boston Crusaders had the worst housing site with helicopters flying over and spraying them with stuff PLUS being right next to some sort of poultry processing plant. We were just overrun with insects and snakes all the time, plus the threat of crime.

I still think it was a great year for drum corps.

Speaking of Freelancers, I thought 1993 and 1994 were very entertaining shows. I still listen to them as often as any other show from those two years. I wish I could still SEE the shows. :)

Jackson was a mess. As I recall, it was supposed to be part of the rotating championship sites idea they had, but Jackson was scrapped rather quickly after the end of that week.

From what I heard, Boston Crusaders had the worst housing site with helicopters flying over and spraying them with stuff PLUS being right next to some sort of poultry processing plant. We were just overrun with insects and snakes all the time, plus the threat of crime.

I still think it was a great year for drum corps.

Speaking of Freelancers, I thought 1993 and 1994 were very entertaining shows. I still listen to them as often as any other show from those two years. I wish I could still SEE the shows. :)

You can add flooded showers with crawfish swimming in it. We had to take the football teams training tires and make a bridge to the showers(Not Kidding). We did have a chicken processing plant down the street. The smell in the morning was awefull!!! And to top it off. A field that had about a 15 degree slope with 4 inch grass that we had to use. Beacuse the "State Champions" practice field was off limits. It was perfectly flat. And well groomed. Was obviously the only thing the school cared about.

^OO^

Oh 1993 - the first year I experienced drum corps. The show was in Erie PA - Lake Erie Fanfare. I can remember the Troopers were at the show (wood fences and all on the field) as well as the Maurders. My mind has drawn a blank on the others.