Giants Stadium Review

Um. I have to disagree with you here. It's very different. What makes it different is that playing a trumpet solo actually takes something called "talent" and not everyone can do it. "Speaking" is something you learn when you are an infant and takes very little concentration, thought and effort...and everyone can and does do it. Though I suppose one can make an argument for "acting" in defense of narration. But lets be honest. We are far from reaching that level in the narration used in this activity lest we think the Cadets' narrators have something on Will Smith.

Public speaking is also a talent that takes practice and can be critiqued. Blowing into a trumpet and playing a trumpet are not the same. Ditto talking and public speaking.

Public speaking is also a talent that takes practice and can be critiqued. Blowing into a trumpet and playing a trumpet are not the same. Ditto talking and public speaking.

I agree. I've done my share of public speaking over the years. It's not as easy as it may seem.

Fran

I don't disagree with this statement, but I simply do not like narration in shows. Its art, right? Therefore by definition it is subjective and there is something for everyone, but no one thing for everyone. Narration isn't for me. For my taste the narration ruins what is otherwise the best show I've seen this season.

I don't disagree with this statement, but I simply do not like narration in shows. Its art, right? Therefore by definition it is subjective and there is something for everyone, but no one thing for everyone. Narration isn't for me. For my taste the narration ruins what is otherwise the best show I've seen this season.

This is your statement that I responded to...

I weep for the activity when you can critique enunciation and emotion of amped narration.

All I said was that yes, you CAN critique narration.

You may or may not like it, which is fine. But it can indeed be critiqued, as I did.

This is your statement that I responded to...

All I said was that yes, you CAN critique narration.

You may or may not like it, which is fine. But it can indeed be critiqued, as I did.

And I wasn't weeping for the critique as much as I was for what is being critiqued. I'd much prefer that there was no narration for you to have critiqued. Didn't know you'd take that as a personal comment. It wasn't.

IMHO there were points of narration that were nicely done, like the talk while the corps moves and then the hornline plays, it was well timed and well executed.

Conversely there were sections that seemed like the speakers were trying to get a quart of ice cream into a pint container, and tone, intonation and pacing were not well done.

I have a friend who is a professional radio announcer, and " pipes " and training do make a difference.

One of the most professional aspects of DCA ( IMHO ) is the work of Fran Haring, his personal

style and professional demeanor ( short of his dress code ) really makes a difference. ^OO^

Edited by fecontra

IMHO there were points of narration that were nicely done, like the talk while the corps moves and then the hornline plays, it was well timed and well executed.

Conversely there were sections that seemed like the speakers were trying to get a quart of ice cream into a pint container, and tone, intonation and pacing were not well done.

I have a friend who is a professional radio announcer, and " pipes " and training do make a difference.

One of the most professional aspects of DCA ( IMHO ) is the work of Fran Haring, his personal

style and professional demeanor ( short of his dress code ) really makes a difference. ^OO^

Thank you very much for the compliment...much appreciated! I'll have to work on that dress code..... b**bs

And I agree with you about the narration. The sections where there was narration, then the corps playing (like the "rehearsal" section), were for the most part well-handled, and made sense to me. But the sections when the narrators were trying to talk over the hornline and drumline....not so good. Too much going on at one time, IMO, and the audio mix in those sections was subpar... not up to the standards set by the Cadets' brass, percussion and color guard. Again, IMO.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I was always a part of the theater program in high school, and although all of us talk, most of us don't speak, or speak correctly for that matter. Speaking clearly is one of the hardest things to do, and after hearing some of my vocal major friends talk about their diction classes, you'd be surprised as to how many sounds are used to properly speak a simple for letter word. So yes, if someone is going to use narration, they should be judged, because it's really hard to actually be clear.

Otherwise, thank you for the review, it's nice reading reviews written with some thought and evidence.