Hypothetical : the DCI "Goodwill" corps

The "DCI Goodwill" Concept...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI have a special "goodwill" corps?

• Yes, let's promote drum corps to the general public.
    • No, it's pointless to try. People are dumb.
    • Don't care. Look, enough serious topics. I want the Terrance I. McGee option.
  2. 2. Would you be interested in marching in this unit if you were eligible?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

So, we talk about how drum corps should be more popular...how we should get more people involved, and how we can market things.

What about a "goodwill" unit?

Say 75-110 kids who are just out as a ambassador to the activity during the summer...going places that the DCI tour doesn't, performing for folks in town squares, etc...occasionally meeting up with the tour at big regionals an an exhibition unit to entertain the big crowds. Enough drill and fun to keep the hardcore fan into it, enough accessability to get the layman into it as well.

Think about it: the corps could be totally, absolutely sponsored by the Yamaha's, Pearls, Dinkles etc of the world...DCI could submit a on-line poll for the fans to select some of the repertoire selections (full of classics from our idiom), we get the best and brightest we have to join forces to write a show (how about Gaines drill with Downey brass?) while giving the volunteer "staff" who join (this could be fun to make the staff an application process for the music majors coming down the pipe, much like the interns are now) a taste of what its like to tech a corps... and it could be a presence for DCI to present to business and corporate partners (more $$$$, everyone likes that, I'm sure) to show up close (like BD Entertainment) what the activity is.

Couple this unit being able to go to places that drum corps doesn't always reach now...smaller concert and park venues, on TV as promotion for DCI as a concept in short notice for local news, community outreach like playing at senior centers, community festivals....heck, anywhere there's a crowd of people during the summer they they could schedule...and it might be a fun way to bring the concept of drum corps to a lot of places it might not otherwise go.

Perhaps its not feasible, but what better way to spread the word but with the very product you have?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe recruit recent age-outs without a nearby all-age corps?

*ponders* I wonder how this corps would fare at the DCA Championships.

Edited by CallipygianKing

*ponders* I wonder how this corps would fare at the DCA Championships.

probably very well...although I image them performing out of step (no pun intended) with conventional performance restrictions (i.e. time restrictions, sideline restrictions, instrumentation, personel, electronics)

this could be a huge opportunity to for the activity to go mainstream.

I do like the idea of recruiting recent age-outs, although alternative funding would need to be acquired because I can't see people paying that much out of pocket, especially when they are supposed to have real jobs and such...

probably very well...although I image them performing out of step (no pun intended) with conventional performance restrictions (i.e. time restrictions, sideline restrictions, instrumentation, personel, electronics)

I don't see a problem if this corps is set up to be adaptable to several situations. Maybe during the large chunk of the summer they do their thing as the original poster described, and then once August hits they start focusing on fitting their show into what is acceptable under DCA rules. They can do a tour of the East Coast and get some reads from DCA judges and then tear up the field in August.

This would probably ruffle quite a few feathers, though. ^0^ It could also lead more age-outs to keep marching with weekend warrior corps as well, though. If DCI's Age-Out All-Star Corps members like DCA, that'd be a great way to keep them interested and continuing to be active in drum corps.

I do like the idea of recruiting recent age-outs, although alternative funding would need to be acquired because I can't see people paying that much out of pocket, especially when they are supposed to have real jobs and such...

Consider that there's a lot of students taking up to five or six years to finish college these days. Sure, these student's can't march a junior corps anymore, but they still have another summer or two off.

Do you think Blast helped bring marching music mainstream? They played in a lot more top venues than a DCI promotional corps could. Drum corps is still not mainstream. Why does it have to be? Until every one for the 22,000 HS bands (millions of potential fans) in the country and their alumni and parents start selling out all the DCI shows coast to coast then we can worry about being mainstream.

I don't see a problem if this corps is set up to be adaptable to several situations. Maybe during the large chunk of the summer they do their thing as the original poster described, and then once August hits they start focusing on fitting their show into what is acceptable under DCA rules. They can do a tour of the East Coast and get some reads from DCA judges and then tear up the field in August.

This would probably ruffle quite a few feathers, though.

true about them being able to change their show and tear up DCA...however, I dont really know why they would want to if the aim of the corps is to be an ambassador to the general public. DCA is just as much a niche organization as DCI and it would not really fit their goals to perform competitively.

thats not to say I wouldnt want to see them compete in DCA, I would love to see a showdown between them an Bucs at championships :huh:

Maybe "mainstream" isn't the best word for what we should look for out of a corps like this. Maybe we should look for a resurgence of drum corps as a cummunity-based youth activity. This could possibly be used to increase interest in the small, community corps that are dwindling from our Div II/III and DCA Class A ranks.

Maybe this could be DCI's answer to the question of how to bolster Div II/III. These ambassadors could promote starting community corps as a way for kids to get their feet in the door and build up the skills needed to jump up to Div I (What? A feeder system?). And they could go one step further and promote local weekend-warrior all-age corps as a way to continue the bonds established between members.

Drum corps, to me, is a hidden jewel. Not a lot of people know about because they really don't have that many chances to hear/see it. "Good will" corps would be the perfect opportunity to get the word out about drum corps.