Bill Kellerman passes away

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow this is truley shocking.

Bill was responsible for me aging out with the Crossmen in 05. He gave me my shot, and always pushed me to be a better player. We always knew when Bill was in front of us, we were going to play LOUD!

This is a huge loss to the activity, and I will always remember him.

Bill was a competitor and friend. Along with his good friend Larry M., we had shared some great times. I will have a hard time warming my horn line up tonite....

My thoughts are with his family and his friends today. Bill will be missed, truly.

Bill, I will meet you at the great VFW in the sky for a hurried beer or ten and try not to miss our bus....

bill2.jpg

Many in the drum corps community knew Bill Kellerman, and knew of his recent struggles with cancer. Bill passed away in the early hours of July 1st, 2007 at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.

Bill marched in the Crossmen hornline from 1988-1990 (baritone soloist in 1989). He went on to become one of the most respected brass instructors in the activity, having worked with several corps through the years: The Golden Lancers, the Sky Ryders, the Cadets of Bergen County, the Glassmen, Carolina Crown and finally with the corps he marched with, as brass caption head with the Crossmen in 2005. Bill also worked with numerous high school bands, was a sought after guest performer (euphonioum) and clinician, and spent several years as the Director of Athletic Bands at Rutgers University in New Jersey.

Bill's life was one of a great love of music, and of giving back and working with young people. His was a life of passion and purpose. He will sorely be missed by those whose lives he touched.

We will post more details as they become available in regards to memorial services, etc.

Rest in peace, Bill.

He was most recently the orchestra director at South Brunswick HS here in NJ.

This is in Friday's Princeton Packet newspaper..

William P. Kellerman

School orchestra director

PLAINSBORO — William P. Kellerman died Sunday at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York City after an illness of five years. He was 36.

He was the orchestra director at South Brunswick High School for the past five years.

Mr. Kellerman was the former marching band director at Rutgers University. He also worked for many years as a brass instructor for numerous Drum Corps International drum and bugle corps programs since 1991. He was also an active performer on euphonium and trombone.

He was a 1988 graduate of Bald Eagle-Nittany High School, Indiana University and the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor where he received a master's degree.

He was a member of Mill Hall United Methodist Church.

He was an avid baseball fan and enjoyed the outdoors.

Born in Bellefonte, Pa., he is survived by his parents, Paul and Barbara Blair Kellerman of Beech Creek; grandparents Gladys Kellerman of Centre Hall and William K. Blair of Lock Haven; sister Rebecca K. Petretta of Charles Town, W. Va.; and nephew Paul F. Petretta.

A memorial service will be held 3 p.m. Thursday at Mill Hall United Methodist Church, 212 Danis St. Mill Hall, Pa., with the Rev. Valerie Stedman officiating.

Interment will be private.

Memorial contributions may be made to South Brunswick High School, String Scholarship Fund, c/o Ginny Kraft, 750 Ridge Road, Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852 or the Mill Hall United Methodist Church, 212 Danis Street, Mill Hall, PA 17751.

Arrangements are by the Helt Funeral Chapel, 232 Hogan Blvd., Mill Hall, Pa.

Bill was a great mentor to me throughout my education at Mason Gross and at CBC. From being a conductor and prof of mine at Rutgers to being one of my caption-heads at Cadets in 97 to helping me get to IUP, he was the kind of person to help anyone at anytime. Also an obviously amazing talent on Euphonium (I was at the CBDNA concert in 97 when he soloed), he was just an all-around great person. He will surely be missed and was an artist in every sense of the word. May he be in peace now, as he will be fondly remembered.

One slight note: Any 97 members remember his mowhawk? I know I do!!!

We will miss you, Bill. My prayers are with your family. God Bless....

Amy Poulsen-Fett