Centerville Review

Ok, perfect night for drum corps. Cool, brand new turf field, packed house. My vantage point was 30 yard line, half way up, side 2.

Cincy Tradition If you've ever seen them before, you have to give them credit for finally getting a battery and drill. Thus far, they've only been a standstill group or parade unit. They are growing so give them the benefit of the doubt. Go Mark Mayfield, Go Andy Houston!

Revolution Seems like I see these guys once a year and they get bigger each time (am I correct?). They have no lower body technique and that should be the first thing that is addressed. Also phrase endings in every section (percussion as well) is a huge huge problem. Lots of dropped musical statements. Obviously with so many musical issues there is little variation or emotion in the music. They have much work to do but it seems like they have a solid base of members and a decent vehicle to get the job done. Seems like the drill is well written for this group.

Memphis Sound A significant difference in TQI between them and Revo. Big solid sound. Their singing is significantly lacking and it is featured several times throughout the show. If you are going to sing (solfege) in the manner in which they do, everyone MUST buy into singing to the best of their ability. There were a few times where it sounded like they were just mumbling through it and unsure of the melodic and harmonic responsibilites vocally. It was a significant distration to the show. Otherwise a decent production.

Troopers The sentimental favorite. It should just be written somewhere that you are not allowed to say anything bad about the Troopers. The drum major carries a gun for crissakes. Seriously, this corps is semifinalist material. A GREAT drum line. I was very very impressed with their performance. Visually, they have significant issues, some due to the uniform. Someone mentioned in a previous review that they need a belt to seperate the jacket from the pants because it looks like a jump suit. I agree. It looks funny. Consequently, their lower bodies are very exposed and very dirty. They have a lot of initiation issues, phasing issues throughout as well. With all that being said, for a corps that was inactive last year and essentially falling apart the years prior to that, this group is doing outstanding. Their show is entertaining, albeit lacking in a lot of musicality, and will be a solid product by the end of the season.

Cascades There was a difference in the sound of the 'Scades. Bigger, fuller, clearer. They should be squarely in front of Troop in brass. However, percussion was....yikes. I would have Troopers more than a point ahead of them in the caption. I like the CG uniforms and usage of color but thats about it. Someone on a previous review mentioned that this is a very non descript show. I agree, but not because of the design, but because of the performance. There is a TON that they could and should be doing musically, but just aren't. Anyone thats in music knows what the term mezzo mezzo means. Well, here ya go.

Glassmen I like this color guard. Great uniforms, well integrated, and clean. Best part of the program. As for the rest of the program, I wasn't terribly impressed percussively, the horn line had many precision issues tonight and the visual program is uninspired outside of the CG. I understand that there are many new things in the show and if you told me they were still 'tentative' because of that, I would completely understand and agree with that. I think its going to take a significant effort on their part to keep pushing with the lower end of the top 12.

Blue Devils They can play. They can drum. They can spin. They are clean. They are loud (does anyone do that better? Really?). Its typical BD. A group of us were talking before the show and that seemed to be the consensus. Its typical. If typical is being one of the best in the activity, then ok, thats what you get, but you could copy and paste any part of this show into any other BD show from the last 7 years and wouldn't know the difference. Could it be that the community is getting tired of this look and sound? I don't think thats a negative comment, just an observation. I love the white stripe in the uniform. I think the recaps with them winning brass was correct tonight. Percussion, maybe, the spread between them and 'Coats should be closer. Color guard is clean, well featured, but had many individual drops tonight. My only complaint with the CG is that almost all of their work is unison and very very predictable. I'm about as far from a CG viewer as there is and I could see every move coming two sets ahead of time. Again, clean, but kind of ho hum. Overall, best lower body technique on the night (and the recaps reflected that), but with much less demand than 'Coats or Cavs. I think we'll see that change over the rest of the season as the groups with more in their shows clean up. I mentioned that they have a great brass sound, but it concerns me that they stand and play so much in this show (that section where they stand 100 yards apart and do the crescendo and decrescendo up and down for about a minute was impressive though).

Bluecoats Yes I'm a homer, but on a night like this you have to give them their due. I think this show is the most entertaining, provocative, imaginative, and challenging of these 4 (BD, Cavs, Cadets, Bluecoats....I leave out PR and SCV because haven't seen them). They have some issues visually that are by products of technique issues (some lower body technique and fluidity of motion) and that showed up in the recap tonight. This is about the only thing keeping them from completely pulling away from the pack. They have a terrific, lush, brass sound and yes, the tuba hype is justified. I've never seen a tuba section featured this much in a DCI show. Easily, the most notes of any brass book in DCI this year. No one holds a candle to them on the demand both musically and visually (yes....yes, you read correctly, I said they have more demand visually than the Cavies). Tenor feature in C5, holy crap (and Nate will be back in this week!). Color guard was amazing and no one utilizes the color guard as much as the Bluecoats. They are integrated so well and are doing so much to make this show incredible. You could put ear plugs in and just watch the CG and it would be worth the price of admission. Kudos to them all. Blooo has a great drum line. When featured, its in your face intensity, when playing with the ensemble its better blended than any other group I've heard. When the use of electronics was passed several years ago, I think this show is what we all had in mind. They use it so well, and you haven't heard the audience actually laugh like this in the middle of a performance since VK was Div. 1. So well done. I had them in 1st and I actually had a bigger spread between them and BD. One thing that some people miss is when the color guard girl "steals" the briefcase from the drum major podium. There is a great percussion feature going on there and I think a lot of people fixate on that, but if you watch up front, one of the CG acrobatically scales the DM podium and steals the briefcase. So cool. There are so many little things like that that go on the entire show, I could go on and on. You have to see this show live to fully appreciate it (sorry DCI, the APD doesn't do it justice).

Cavies My daughter and son were with me (15 and 10 yo, respectively). I explained that these guys are the shizzle dizzle. Awesome at everything they do, they win every year. My daughter liked them because she's a Billy Joel fan. I think my son fell asleep. I was underwhelmed overall. They play well, the color guard is solid. Visually innovative (do we expect anything else?). However, there are significant flaws here. That band aid ending has to go. I can't recall ever seeing an audience unsure about the ending of a Cavies show. They got almost no reaction. I need a recent Cavies alum to help with the definition of their lower body technique, because I bet they got nailed on this toinght. Step sizes larger than 8 to 5 seem well defined but smaller step sizes have them over exaggerating their knee movement and its far from uniform across the line and it actually causes quite a bit of visual clutter. What is the knee supposed to do here (it was obvious and numerous throughout tonight)? Great soloists, some amazing trumpet work, however not as well balanced at the Blue teams.

Sorry if my comments were somewhat disjunct. It was an incredible night. Overall I was impressed with every group I saw and honestly, its been a long long time in DCI since I've felt like that. Some have said that this is going to be the best finish in DCI history and I don't see how you can deny that, especially with so many good shows at the top. Entertainment, innovation, incredible excellence.

Of course, 6 words to the Bluecoats. I miss you most of all when Autumn Leaves start to fall!

DW

Edited by 93Bluecoat

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review!

Wow! You think Bluecoats have "out drilled" the Cavaliers?? :doh: I didn't (and don't) think that's possible.

Granted I only saw both on a video feed thousands of miles away, but I still thought Cavaliers had the most innovative drill. I put SCV in second place in that category this year.

I saw that Bluecoats took G.E., and I felt that one coming for BD and Cavies. BD hasn't had good G.E. since 2002 for me, and Cavies music is going to fail them this season (it's just not difficult enough).

What an exciting season this is turning out to be! :sleeping: As someone quoted in another thread, "The excitement is killing me. I hope it lasts." :)

Thanks for the review!

Wow! You think Bluecoats have "out drilled" the Cavaliers?? :doh: I didn't (and don't) think that's possible.

Granted I only saw both on a video feed thousands of miles away, but I still thought Cavaliers had the most innovative drill. I put SCV in second place in that category this year.

I saw that Bluecoats took G.E., and I felt that one coming for BD and Cavies. BD hasn't had good G.E. since 2002 for me, and Cavies music is going to fail them this season (it's just not difficult enough).

What an exciting season this is turning out to be! :sleeping: As someone quoted in another thread, "The excitement is killing me. I hope it lasts." :)

Yeah, I really believe the 'Coats vehicle is on a much higher intellectual plane than both Cavies and BD and the 'Coats definitely have the demand. As I stated on my review ADP does nothing for the 'Coats show (and uniform for that matter), you really have to see it live to take in all that is going on. There's just no way to follow it all on the bad video feeds that your $98 or whatever DCI charges for that service. I can't wait until the first head to head of the top 6 or 7. When is that? San Antonio?

I have one fear though with a season like this.....ties. Ugh. What a revolting ending if this season had a few at finals.

DW

For those wanting more Bloooo...you can hear the corps sing "Autumn Leaves" in the background of this interview with pitster Matt Smith.

Bluecoats interview and a song

Edited by MAV

Troopers "With all that being said, for a corps that was inactive last year and essentially falling apart the years prior to that, this group is doing outstanding. Their show is entertaining, albeit lacking in a lot of musicality, and will be a solid product by the end of the season."

Not to seem like i'm blindly in love with the Troopers(I'm not), but they soundly knocked off the Glassmen in brass last night (Well, as soundly as 4 tenths can seem). It's a good sign for them and shows where they have improved, and where they need to improve as the season goes on.

Bluecoats Easily, the most notes of any brass book in DCI this year. No one holds a candle to them on the demand both musically and visually (yes....yes, you read correctly, I said they have more demand visually than the Cavies).

Good Review and Congrats to Bluecoats. They do have a great show indeed and I love it.

BUT

I think once you see Phantom you will retract that statement. I had a chance to see both corps twice so far. Phnatom in Rockford and Lisle and Bluecoats in Lisle and Kalamazoo. Phantoms horn book is amazing and on the night of the Lisle show was FAR superior to Coats. Now I am not a horn guy but I know running and playing any instrument at 180 is difficult and if you closed your eyes and listen you would have thought they weren't moving.

Both shows are great but I'm not sure based on what I have seen I am ready to give coats the best hornline title yet.

Again congrats Bloooo and nice review

I was so suprised to see the results.. I so badly want to see Bluecoats now.. and I unfortunatly wont get the chance.. I have not seen a year in a long time.. where things are so exciting.. I hope it stays close.. and I hope that there are no ties. I said before the season started, that I had a feeling it was going to be an interesting year.. and it looks like things are turning out that way. go BLOOOOOOOOO

Troopers "With all that being said, for a corps that was inactive last year and essentially falling apart the years prior to that, this group is doing outstanding. Their show is entertaining, albeit lacking in a lot of musicality, and will be a solid product by the end of the season."

Not to seem like i'm blindly in love with the Troopers(I'm not), but they soundly knocked off the Glassmen in brass last night (Well, as soundly as 4 tenths can seem). It's a good sign for them and shows where they have improved, and where they need to improve as the season goes on.

Actually, the current scoring trends have Troop's brass in 8th place..amazing for an essntially new hornline. Right now, the visual issues are really holding them back in all areas. (Which is ironic, since this had been a historic strong point...but this is a new era with a new corps.) It is also hurting their ensemble scores, as they will not come up until they start correcting the visual dirt and getting the horns/percussion more secure in the movement to concentrate on balance/blend issues.

Do not know why percussion is not getting credit, however. They are on a par with the horns. Man, this corp finally has a future again... :)

Easily, the most notes of any brass book in DCI this year.

This phrase is often tossed about -- and not only in reference to the Bluecoats, but to describe the horn books of any number of corps. (I guess it depends on who's counting.) Though I think I understand its application and what posters are implying when they use it, I'm not sure the "most notes" is a measure of anything other than the number of notes. "Most notes" doesn't necessarily indicate demand and, certainly not quality.

This phrase is often tossed about -- and not only in reference to the Bluecoats, but to describe the horn books of any number of corps. (I guess it depends on who's counting.) Though I think I understand its application and what posters are implying when they use it, I'm not sure the "most notes" is a measure of anything other than the number of notes. "Most notes" doesn't necessarily indicate demand and, certainly not quality.

True. And it doesn't automatically give you a championship either.