• 77-78
    • 78-79
    • 79-80
    • 80-81
    • 81-82
    • 82-83
    • HIGHER than 83?
    • Lower than 75?
  2. 2. Where will Academy stand in the rankings?

• Top 7
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th
    • 11th
    • 12th
    • Semi Finals Range
    • 18th or lower

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expect several bumps over the course of the next 10 days. 10 days !!!!! it seems like forever since Academy Debuted and it's only been 10 days since that happened. Just think what will transpire between now and then! Will the 20 days off kill their chances of making finals? Will the judges be afraid to give them a number they deserve? I hope not..... and there's always hope.

Them and the colts seem to be the feel good story of 07.

Wow... someone said 18th or lower? When their first score put them right in the middle of the pack? Somebody has a grudge.

Wow... someone said 18th or lower? When their first score put them right in the middle of the pack? Somebody has a grudge.

And I can't imagine any corps only going up 4 pts or less in 20 days.... not when you come out with a 71 to start! Competing regularly or not, they're not just sitting there playing PS3 and reading DCP. I'm sure they are cleaning and fixing and everything else that every other corps is doing. Lets be realistic folks... most corps in DCI have gone up at least 5 pts over a 10 day period (sans Madison and Crossmen). Some have even managed more than 10 pts in less than 20 days. If they progress somewhere below average that still puts them up a minimum of 7 pts during this stretch and in the 78 range. Who knows who will have broken 78 in 10 more days?? ...... corps and designs are crazy good this year !! I guess I'm more liberal in my scoring and have a good amount of faith that Academy will measure up between 8-10th and have whatever number is required to place them there. Best guess is a 79-80.

Edited by supersop

And I can't imagine any corps only going up 4 pts or less in 20 days.... not when you come out with a 71 to start! Competing regularly or not, they're not just sitting there playing PS3 and reading DCP. I'm sure they are cleaning and fixing and everything else that every other corps is doing. Lets be realistic folks... most corps in DCI have gone up at least 5 pts over a 10 day period (sans Madison and Crossmen). Some have even managed more than 10 pts in less than 20 days. If they progress somewhere below average that still puts them up a minimum of 7 pts during this stretch and in the 78 range. Who knows who will have broken 78 in 10 more days?? ...... corps and designs are crazy good this year !! I guess I'm more liberal in my scoring and have a good amount of faith that Academy will measure up between 8-10th and have whatever number is required to place them there. Best guess is a 79-80.

I put in my two cents of a score between 75-76 and a finish at the end of the season in 11th (I'm predicting a ending score of 87.25).

However, I can't get an answer to a question about San Antonio. Perhaps those of you more learned than I can figure this one out. If Academy doesn't participate in the Atlanta show, and placement for San Antonio is based upon the Atlanta show, then that means Academy goes FIRST on San Antonio in the afternoon program.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but how are the judges going to be able to give Academy a score that is appropriate when they HAVe to leave room for the corps performing ahead of them. I know, I know, judges will judge them on their merit, etc, but we've all seen subjective judging before (Ice Skating, gymnastics, Diving, Drum Corps) where the judges ARE inevitably impacted and affected by where the subject is peforming, especially if it is a worst to first order. The natural expectation is that the shows will be getting better as the day wears on and you have to leave room (as a judge) for those corps. That is why it seems so difficult to jump even a few places. But starting first, if that is what will happen to Academy in San Antonio, may be the "problem" everyone is looking for. Once that happens, then that sticks with them onto the next regional and then quarters etc. Is that what you guys call slotting? While I'm optimistic about their chances, and I have 100% faith in their work ethic and clean up over the last 10 days, I think the PROCESS will get in the way of their scores. Does anyone agree.....or hopefully disagree???

Edited by Acad Dad

I put in my two cents of a score between 75-76 and a finish at the end of the season in 11th (I'm predicting a ending score of 87.25).

However, I can't get an answer to a question about San Antonio. Perhaps those of you more learned than I can figure this one out. If Academy doesn't participate in the Atlanta show, and placement for San Antonio is based upon the Atlanta show, then that means Academy goes FIRST on San Antonio in the afternoon program.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but how are the judges going to be able to give Academy a score that is appropriate when they HAVe to leave room for the corps performing ahead of them. I know, I know, judges will judge them on their merit, etc, but we've all seen subjective judging before (Ice Skating, gymnastics, Diving, Drum Corps) where the judges ARE inevitably impacted and affected by where the subject is peforming, especially if it is a worst to first order. The natural expectation is that the shows will be getting better as the day wears on and you have to leave room (as a judge) for those corps. That is why it seems so difficult to jump even a few places. But starting first, if that is what will happen to Academy in San Antonio, may be the "problem" everyone is looking for. Once that happens, then that sticks with them onto the next regional and then quarters etc. Is that what you guys call slotting? While I'm optimistic about their chances, and I have 100% faith in their work ethic and clean up over the last 10 days, I think the PROCESS will get in the way of their scores. Does anyone agree.....or hopefully disagree???

Maybe you can call this slotting?!? My problem is that THE ACADEMY is not even going to Atlanta...Everyone else is going to be there. In this case, it would only be fair for them to go first at San Antonio. If they want to compete with everyone else then they need to be at regionals. I don't think competing semi-locally is fair compared to the tour the corps have. Let the yelling begin.

basically the judges will judge Academy to the sheets and then base everyone after them on the number they gave Academy. so if they got Academy too low all the scores will be low for that show, and if they got them too high then ll the scores should be high for that show.

But that's just in a perfect world.

The regional touring model has already been debated pretty heavily, but to this point, no one has come up with a scenario that could actually hurt them competitively. The starting placement for SA could be a huge problem for them. I have faith that the judges at regionals know how good a corps SHOULD be, but will they jot down numbers based on their gut feeling and applicable box qualifications on the sheets? Dunno. My gypsy ball is broken now.

In theory, if the first corps out is scored too low in order to leave room for later corps, overall the scores will be lower and they will still be in the correct position with the correct spread. All that would be out of whack would be the score. Say Academy goes on first and scores a 72 but really that should have been 75, all the rest of the scores should be 3 points lower. In some regard, all scores in a contest are relative to that first score.