• 77-78
    • 78-79
    • 79-80
    • 80-81
    • 81-82
    • 82-83
    • HIGHER than 83?
    • Lower than 75?
  2. 2. Where will Academy stand in the rankings?

• Top 7
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th
    • 11th
    • 12th
    • Semi Finals Range
    • 18th or lower

Not the rehearsal you would think...it was a standstill rehearsal with the California Philharmonic for a 4th of July fireworks show. The stadium wasn't even set up for any kind of drum corps rehearsal. There was a big ol stage in the middle, facing the endzone; they performed standing still to the endzone.

And DCI asked them to perform there. They didn't kiss anyone's ###.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the rehearsal you would think...it was a standstill rehearsal with the California Philharmonic for a 4th of July fireworks show. The stadium wasn't even set up for any kind of drum corps rehearsal. There was a big ol stage in the middle, facing the endzone; they performed standing still to the endzone.

Oh! :angry: Yeah, that's quite different. So why did the poster I respond to not tell the whole truth and make it out to sound like they had been "holding a full blown rehearsal"? :doh:

And DCI asked them to perform there. They didn't kiss anyone's ###.

The orchestra will then slow the tempo with a tribute to those who have died in Iraq. A large screen will project images of the fallen from the San Gabriel Valley as the choir sings music from "Saving Private Ryan."

The concert will conclude with Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" and the Academy Drum and Bugle Corps from the Arizona Academy of Performing Arts before the fireworks begin.

Admission is $12 per person, with children 7 and under free, active military with ID admitted free (up to four per family), available only at the Rose Bowl ticket booths.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wow, this and two parades all in the same day. (Each about 35 miles from the Rose Bowl) The home field advantage will be insurmountable!!!! b**bs :angry:

Edited by Acad Dad

Blazing against who?

Exactly. Mandarins and PC. When that's all the judges have to compare them to, of course their numbers are going to be up. No offense to Mandarins and PC but I hardly call beating a couple of corps who are fighting just to have a spot in semifinals "coming out with guns blazing". Think about it.

six points behind SCV at the last show they were both at, and being at shows with BD and SCV the first few nights and not being that far behind them is pretty good, i'd think. so mandarins and PC are not "all the judges have to compare them to" and they've done just fine against the big boys considering it's their first year in D1.

their scores for their first shows the first year in division one have been outstanding. the successes they have had since their inception are remarkable, and i think that's what the poster meant by "coming out with guns blazing"

Them and the colts seem to be the feel good story of 07.

There are LOTS of feel-good stories this year.

Bluecoats stunning everybody and jumping into contention for the title.

Crown having a really good show.

Troopers coming back with a solid corps and a good show.

Blue Stars putting on a BEAUTIFUL program.

Thank you, Emma.

Boy, I seriously hope they come out and kick some ### just to prove these naysayers wrong. Geezy creezy! <$1.00 --> Eddie Izzard>

six points behind SCV at the last show they were both at, and being at shows with BD and SCV the first few nights and not being that far behind them is pretty good, i'd think. so mandarins and PC are not "all the judges have to compare them to" and they've done just fine against the big boys considering it's their first year in D1.

their scores for their first shows the first year in division one have been outstanding. the successes they have had since their inception are remarkable, and i think that's what the poster meant by "coming out with guns blazing"

So since the original poster asked us what we think....here it is.

Not performing for this expanded off a period of time is unprecedented for a Div. I Finalist. No one has gone this long without a show in recent history and made finals. So, if it happened it would be a HUGE accomplishment.

Next, they will draw poorly for the SA contest. This may affect the score there and then it could snowball right on through to Quarter Finals night.

Next, their last score is mid to high semi finals now that they've been away. And with the contests between now and 7/14, it slides further down the charts.

Finally, I see Academy as a solid semifinalist 14th, 15th...I don't see finals yet. But, I will have better judgement after seeing them in Tempe against the Midwest corps. The things they need to fix looked obvious to me. Guard is still weak and sometimes staged backfield by 20 yards framing with flags. They need to be integrated more. The three characters portrying "The Chase" have to sell it way better than when I saw them in Glendale or they need to lose the whole character idea altogether.

As for the Kanstul vs Yamaha argument...I don't see it. PR used Kanstuls and they were deep, lush and loud. Besides, if Academy can sound this good in this kind of heat, I would pay extra to hear them on a cool August evening in the Midwest. Their hornline sound production was right up there with the big boys in Glendale.

Thank you, Emma.

Boy, I seriously hope they come out and kick some ### just to prove these naysayers wrong. Geezy creezy! <$1.00 --> Eddie Izzard>

they've been doing it for years to several different types of naysayers... it's my hope they continue as well :P

WHAT?! :worthy: How is that again? Who's butt did they kiss to make that happen? I don't think thats fair at all and if that really is true, I'll give it 2 days before some of the other D1 directors get wind of it and complain to DCI! WOW! That is very shady! Well shoot! Maybe they can kiss someone's butt all the way to finals then... if that is their game. Holy shmokes!

They did not march a show, they performed the 1812 overture during the fireworks display, on a side note, they Academy would have been at 5 more shows that they asked for, but the show sponsers turned them down.

When it is all said and done, they are going to place higher then most people want to realize.....just watch out next year.........

As for the Kanstul vs Yamaha argument...I don't see it. PR used Kanstuls and they were deep, lush and loud.

Yes, but when Phantom switched to King, their brass scores went up.

My main curiosity with Academy will be to see if their entire corps and show design can match those of a finalist corps. Even those with long time experience have a hard time making that happen.

In a way, Academy is in a "no-win" situation. If they come in 14-15, everyone will say, "See - told you so!" And if they make finals, it will always be with an asteisk... without a full tour, AND they will be expected to be even BETTER next year - no excuses. 13th place will look like a failure.

I almost feel like their fans have a huge chip on their shoulder, which is a shame. I would suggest they just stop listening to opinions, stop polling about a corps that is not out, and enjoy a wonderful season of drum corps. There's only one "first div 1 season" and this is it.

Enjoy the ride.