We're ALL suckers...

Does anyone else out there find it interesting that the most competitive year in DCI history (any winner on any given night) is happening in the very same summer that the championships are in California for the first time ever??

Hmmmm...

Do you think DCI is trying to sell tickets in Pasadena?

I do.

:sleeping:

No. By the time the tour begins most of the tickets are already sold.

Go to a show and see why it is so competitive. There is some really good drum corps being done this year.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

DUUUHHHHH! YOU THINK?

Where have you folks been? Mars? DCI has been playing the "build suspense, sell tickets" game for many years! Remember 1978? How many times has Phantom Regiment taken it on the chin "for the good of the activity"? Could DCI really let the Blue Devils and Sata Clara Vanguard have clear, unchallenged dominance over the rest of the field? Someone had to be a legitimate contender for the title! How about 1981 or 1984? Who could predict a winner in those years? Was 1993 really the year the best corps on the field won? Many people wanted to see Star of Indiana get beat, so DCI arranged it, with a lot of suspense! To get people to go to Jackson, Mississippi, they had to play the game! Let's take a look at the many years we had ties at the top for the title? Ties going into 1/2 finals and even FINALS? Many ties for 12th place have taken place over the years. Regional favorites have been admitted to Finals under somewhat suspect circumstances too! Bridgemen got DQ'ed, Garfield made finals as a 13th corps, and lots more happened in 1978! It all served to BUILD SUSPENSE and thusly, SELL TICKETS! I am sure that many people can give additional examples of how suspense was built during the season and during Finals week to get more people into the stadium.

DCI is a business, an ENTERTAINMENT business. DCI is smart. They will do "whatever" to get our butts into the seats, PERIOD.

The best drum corps marketing strategy is to build suspense at the local and regional shows so that the bigger regional and national shows will have bigger crouds! It is also part of the reason we have seen a HUGE jump in ticket prices since 1992!

This was not meant to be offensive, just a little funny.

Yours in drum corps,

So.... DCI is therefore no different than the WWE? According to your theory, DCI is in control of the music entertainment business the same way that the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) is in control of sports entertainment. Interesting. All drum corps contests are predetermined.

I guess I just choose not to believe your theory at this point. That is mainly because I was at the '78 finals and I did not think that Phantom won. Again, interesting.

Has there been some indication that ticket sales for Pasadena are or have been sluggish?

I kind of find that to be true of most CA corps events... not a bad thing, we just seem to want to buy the tickets at the gate...

but that in itself is just a theory

Does anyone else out there find it interesting that the most competitive year in DCI history (any winner on any given night) is happening in the very same summer that the championships are in California for the first time ever??

Hmmmm...

I do.

I've never thought of that. I don't know if DCI would be that bold though. Purty riskay.

Hmmmm...

I do.

Fortunately we have the opportunity to see if the corps are being judged fairly/honestly. Go to a show and watch them. If your claim is true...does it even matter? Go to a show anyway and enjoy the performances.

Hmmmm...

I do.

#1 - Prove it. Otherwise, you're talking out of your posterior.

#2 - LOOK AROUND. There are some INCREDIBLE drum corps this year with killer shows!!!

I do.

I think you're absolutely wrong.

Conspiracy theories are for the paranoid. :sleeping: