censorship on DCP

Comments as innocuous as what I quoted and wrote below are targets for censorship on Drum Corps Planet.

It's sad to see that the Madison thread has been closed. Whenever serious discussion and open debate occur here, some nerd without a life shuts them down. How is drum corps threatened by pluralism and free speech?

This interview....

Link #2 about Hopkins' first attempt at increasing corps size

Strike one against history and tradition and alienating the paying fans.

Strike two against history and tradition and creating an elite musical organization.

From those quotes - and through his actions - George Hopkins doesn't seem to give a flying #### about drum corps or the kids involved. The whole thing appears to be about himself and the money that stands to be made as he transitions drum corps into marching bands.

Many argue that he and his minions are poison to this activity.

Comments as innocuous as what I quoted and wrote below are targets for censorship on Drum Corps Planet.

It's sad to see that the Madison thread has been closed. Whenever serious discussion and open debate occur here, some nerd without a life shuts them down. How is drum corps threatened by pluralism and free speech?

From those quotes - and through his actions - George Hopkins doesn't seem to give a flying #### about drum corps or the kids involved. The whole thing appears to be about himself and the money that stands to be made as he transitions drum corps into marching bands.

Many argue that he and his minions are poison to this activity.

"a flying ####" is hardly innocuous. Perhaps you meant another word.

As far as the free speech thing...I get very annoyed by the mods as well. I think for the most part they are heavy handed and too quick on the draw, but....this is the thing....

This is not the US Government. Therefore, matters of free speech are not applicable here. This is a privately-owned forum, and John can set the rules as he likes. If he wants to continue a "Victorian" word filter, that is his right. And the mods are only doing what they are told to do from above. I hate to parrot the line that I've seen before on this forum, but...no one is forcing you to stay. If you don't like it, you can always go elsewhere.

However, while I believe that the only reason "naughty" words are naughty is because WE allow them to affect us...you certainly knew what you were doing when you wrote what you did, and it was NOT innocuous.

Additionally, I don't think that the thread was closed due to what was being said about the Cadets, as much as it was closed due to the way that some of the people associated with Madison were conducting themselves. It was not positive or constructive, and making personal attacks in a public forum of this nature really isn't the best idea. It's a matter best handled privately.

As much as I did find parts of the thread interesting, when it had degenerated into accusations and posters using each other's full names, I felt that certain lines of decency and protection of privacy online had been crossed. I was glad to see it closed so that those engaged in the debate can take it to a more private forum.

I really have no idea what you're trying to get at here. Whatever those links were to wee hardly as devious as you lead on to be.

I hate hop blah blah blah.....

Drum Corps isn't what it used to be blah blah blah....

i'm beating a dead horse blah blah blah...

as far as the free speech thing, the mods are just trying to control the boards. Most of the stuff that is being shut down probably has no value or is just mindless banter. DCP is well-known for having extreme viewpoints and various individuals being quite nasty to each other on public forums. They close posts cause they really don't have a point, like this one.

The Scott Stewart thread wasn't mindless banter. It was some serious stuff. The thread closure shows that DCP doesn't have the balls to host such a discussion.

Additionally, I don't think that the thread was closed due to what was being said about the Cadets, as much as it was closed due to the way that some of the people associated with Madison were conducting themselves. It was not positive or constructive, and making personal attacks in a public forum of this nature really isn't the best idea. It's a matter best handled privately.

Wow good thing the CE Forum was closed huh! By way of clarification, people for whatever reason are passionate about drum corps. The "bombs" were thrown not by anyone associated with Madison but people who are supporters or fans of Scouts and Scott Stewart, but it was easily matched by some of the near libel that was coming from the other side of the argument. So what I mean is lets not try to fob this one as just another example of those "crazy Madison fans" please. For proof just watch what happens the next time Cadets or some other perennial top 6er starts to falter.

As much as I did find parts of the thread interesting, when it had degenerated into accusations and posters using each other's full names, I felt that certain lines of decency and protection of privacy online had been crossed. I was glad to see it closed so that those engaged in the debate can take it to a more private forum.

Well problem is that when people make purported statements of fact, then people who dont see things the same way are going to feel obligated to respond.

Edited by Scerpella

The Scott Stewart thread wasn't mindless banter. It was some serious stuff. The thread closure shows that DCP doesn't have the balls to host such a discussion.

Agreed. Not only that, but if one side makes claims, the other side should be able to counter in a public forum. There's the potential to "slander" someone and let the thread close, giving a poor impression about the slandered individual.

(I use "slandered" here not in the legal term, but to say that only a single side of the story could be told... and there are always multiple perspectives on the same story)

Wow good thing the CE Forum was closed huh! By way of clarification, people for whatever reason are passionate about drum corps. The "bombs" were thrown not by anyone associated with Madison but people who are supporters or fans of Scouts and Scott Stewart, but it was easily matched by some of the near libel that was coming from the other side of the argument.

I understand that people are passionate about corps, I marched.

Maybe I got confused, but I saw at least 3 people who claimed close association with the corps during the era in question. And the fact is, the way they were conducting themselves, by engaging in personal attacks, goes against the TOS of this website.

Additionally, the thread itself was full of disparaging comments about the state of the corps today. That on top of the developing mud-slinging fest really doesn't go far towards protecting the dignity of the organization and the kids on the field, don't you think? That's why I'm glad it was closed. I was reading it and thinking "Man, I love Madison. They're a great organization, and the first drum corps that made me want to march. But I hate seeing all of this drama and immaturity pulling the name of the Scouts down into the mud."

So what I mean is lets not try to fob this one as just another example of those "crazy Madison fans" please. For proof just watch what happens the next time Cadets or some other perennial top 6er starts to falter.

I didn't mean anything of the sort.

Well problem is that when people make purported statements of fact, then people who dont see things the same way are going to feel obligated to respond.

I understand that. I don't have a problem with that.

Edited by mistofflies

Let me introduce you to the Community Guidelines. Clearly you must not be too familiar with them. Pm me if I can be of any assistance!

We welcome your participation in the Drum Corps Planet (DCP) online community (Community), which includes Drum Corps Planet, Marching Band Planet (MBP), and Color Guard Planet (CGP). We try to provide the highest quality community experience for all of our members and following these guidelines is the best way to maintain an appropriate environment for all age groups.

These Community Guidelines apply to all Community communications, including forum posts, Private Messages, chat messages, and all e-mail sent via the Community directories. These guidelines are very basic and we hope that you read them fully. In addition, members that have been granted access to the DCP Off-Topic (OT) forums will need to review and adhere to those specific guidelines as they apply.

We reserve the right to update or modify or edit these guidelines at any time and without notice.

We reserve the right to warn, suspend or ban any member who seriously or repeatedly violates these guidelines. We also reserve the right to edit any member’s posts that violate these guidelines. We will be fair and provide warning in all but the most extreme cases, which will result in immediate action.

Questions or concerns a member may have regarding any Policies/Guidelines must be handled privately via e-mail, or the Private Message (PM) feature to any DCP staff member. Public threads/posts regarding DCP Policies/Guidelines will be locked/removed.

You may not use profanity. We encourage you to use our community as a forum to debate topics, but please use proper vocabulary to express yourself. We have word filters in place for the most vulgar terms. Circumventing those word filters is considered a violation of these guidelines and the offending terms will be removed.

You may not make personal attacks on other Community members or non-members. Harassment of other members is not allowed. Flame-bait, trolling or flaming posts will be edited or removed, and action may be taken against the author. Issues and posts directed at a single member should be handled via our built-in Private Messenger feature.

Postings should neither reference nor link to illegal activity or contain graphic or overtly-sexual material. Keep in mind that community members are as young as 13 years of age.

The impersonation of another member or non-member is prohibited. The use of multiple screen names is also prohibited. Violators will have their membership removed without notice.

Use a title that describes the content of the topic you would like to discuss. Do not use all-caps or special characters to draw attention.

Threads and posts in a particular forum should stay on topic. If you want to talk about something that is drastically removed from the topic of a forum, please take it to our sections for off-topic discussions only. We will split off-topic discussions away from the original thread if necessary.

Any reference to political, religious, world events, social issues, etc are not allowed, this includes member signatures, profiles, and avatars. Topics or posts that are started in any of DCP's forums pertaining to the aformentioned will be closed and/or removed.

Overuse of the "quote" feature is also considered poor form. Please quote only when necessary (it is not necessary if you are addressing the prior post) and edit the quote to as small as possible to make the point clear.

The posting of copyrighted material is prohibited. Also prohibited is the request of or linking to illegally obtained copyrighted materials or illegally distributed copyrighted materials (such as mp3's). Any posts containing this material will be edited or deleted.

Copyrighted news or discussion information may not be posted in its entirety on our site unless permission has been granted by the owner / author. This includes emails, private messages, instant messages, website reports, news items in printed and electronic forms and any other material not written by the person doing the actual posting.

Clips or summaries may be posted as long as most of the copyrighted item is left off of the post and a link is provided to direct readers to the location of the original work

Posts promoting the pageantry activity should be posted to the most appropriate forum for each discussion. Commercial advertising and individually owned items for sale (such as old CD's or unneeded tickets) should be posted in the Marketplace Forum only.

The linkage to websites considered to be direct competitors of DCP.net is not allowed in any manner on our site, other than in our CorpsPortal link database. Such linkage is not allowed in our forums, user profiles or signatures, and will be removed.

Finally, as a reminder - access to this site and your use of it is subject to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which may be found via the links at the bottom of each forum page.

If you have any questions or feedback about the forums, email: rich@drumcorpsplanet.com or PM any member of the Forum Support Team.

Want to leave feedback about the site in general? Email: office@drumcorpsplanet.com.