Cadets Volunteer -- Day 4 Part 2

I didn't realize I would have to explain why I'm taking the time to post my threads. Yes I am a volunteer with the Cadets and as I have said this is my third year doing it. My actual responsibility with the corps is a small vehicle driver -- that is all I am suppose to do. All the time I volunteer to the food truck is just that -- volunteered; I choose to help out on the food truck and they appreciate the help. Today was one of those days where one wouldn't want to work on the food truck but yet I do it day in and day out. What I write and post is done with thought and respect to the Cadets; sometimes that does take more than five minutes to do. That time is after the day is done and I'm about to turn in from a long day. Honestly I was very surprised to read that gentleman's response.

Anyway, the Cadets had a good day with a strong run through some where around 9:30 pm. I can't say enough about this stadium. Then it was time to feed these hungry kids -- tonight was pasta with chicken. The kids loved it but the kitchen was a wreck. Talk about a task that will damper a volunteer's spirit; try washing, more than I want to mention, sheet pans crusted with melted cheese. There are still some nick knack injuries with some of the kids but nothing too serious. Every section is working hard and the staff knows exactly how to pull the best out of this kids. Only a few more days and we'll be pulling into the parking lot in Toldo for their first show. Cadets do have a good show. To those reading these posts -- thank you. Good night.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize I would have to explain why I'm taking the time to post my threads. Yes I am a volunteer with the Cadets and as I have said this is my third year doing it. My actual responsibility with the corps is a small vehicle driver -- that is all I am suppose to do. All the time I volunteer to the food truck is just that -- volunteered; I choose to help out on the food truck and they appreciate the help. Today was one of those days where one wouldn't want to work on the food truck but yet I do it day in and day out. What I write and post is done with thought and respect to the Cadets; sometimes that does take more than five minutes to do. That time is after the day is done and I'm about to turn in from a long day. Honestly I was very surprised to read that gentleman's response.

Anyway, the Cadets had a good day with a strong run through some where around 9:30 pm. I can't say enough about this stadium. Then it was time to feed these hungry kids -- tonight was pasta with chicken. The kids loved it but the kitchen was a wreck. Talk about a task that will damper a volunteer's spirit; try washing, more than I want to mention, sheet pans crusted with melted cheese. There are still some nick knack injuries with some of the kids but nothing too serious. Every section is working hard and the staff knows exactly how to pull the best out of this kids. Only a few more days and we'll be pulling into the parking lot in Toldo for their first show. Cadets do have a good show. To those reading these posts -- thank you. Good night.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

It's always nice to hear about a little slice of the day - no matter how small. We all look forward to the season. Thanks for the report. :rolleyes:

Awsome updates!!! I love hearing about the home team.

Holy Name

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Sir, you don't have to explain ANYTHING. We appreciate the fact that you are volunteering your time and more than that, the updates are very much appreciated. Thanks a lot for the post and for volunteering. Have a good day.

From the closed thread:

...with all due respect...

when you volunteer to help out a corps, any corps... IT IS NOT TO BE A REPORTER FOR DCP.

you will be more appreciated if you put 100% of your time into actually helping out the corps.

In one way, I agree with this post.

I think this type of "journal" belongs on a blog, not being posted as new threads on DCP once or twice a day for the entire season.

Thanks boxingfred for your post on the Part 1 thread . . . Your response to recognizing the validity of two different points of view was a great example of a positive post ! :rolleyes:

To Tom & Irving, and all the thousands of volunteers that make drum corp possible . . . THANK YOU for all you have done, and continue to do to support this activity !!

Each volunteer is appreciated more than words can say for every mile driven, every onion peeled, every uniform altered, every update blogged, and every cheese-encrusted pan scrubbed !!

THANK YOU !! :thumbup:

[ Quoting boxingfred from 6/18/08 , 10:27am:

"Tom,

I know how hard you worked. I've seen you in action. I also know how hard Irving works. His time and sweat is equal to yours.

Tom, i've seen you after a show, after everyone has gone to bed, prepare the next days breakfast, lunch and dinner, oh, and snak and a wounderful desert. You stay up from 11pm until 4-5 am. That's one of your niches in the corps noboby does it like you. When you finish your mighty task you sleep until 2pm. Well deserved! When folks ask where is Tom? We praise your efforts. We are greatful to have people like you with us. You are a night manager at a food store you keep vampire hours. You usually work well with little or no help. That's your style. It's different, It's great. Thank You! I hope you come back.

Irving,

I've seen Irving drive the corps 8-10 straight hours, Help us unload the food truck at 4am in the morning and help us prepare breakfast before going to bed. All the while keeping us laughing and smiling. Irvings primary job was/is a driver but, He would find the time to help the food truck. And do it with a since of humor and energy that lifted every tired soul in that truck. In Irving spare time he runs, lifts wieghts and blogs a little. I am so greatful to have Irving on tour with The Cadets. He is a great guy, a very hard worker and a good person.

Every voulenteer in the Cadets has their roll/ niche. Some of us can do more than others , some of us work through pain and injury and some of us work better at different times of the day. We all have days when we feel we've had enough and can't push on in 99 degree heat. That's when we do like Hop says and choose our atitude, make the day our own. We do it because we love the activity, we love the corps, and we love the kids.

I'll be there this summer, Irvings there, I hope you come back too Tom, I miss your laugh!"

I didn't realize I would have to explain why I'm taking the time to post my threads. Yes I am a volunteer with the Cadets and as I have said this is my third year doing it.

Irving - take it from those of us in touch with reality - you dont have to explain a thing. I went to watch the corps for the past 24 hours, and when I was bored, or saw something that needed doing, I helped. I cut some onions up, made some garlic bread, helped sully with 'the prop', and even picked up some ice :thumbup:. I dont consider myself anything special, but whenever I asked if anyone needed help, I just jumped in, and people were grateful. Sometimes, there was more than enough help, and people didnt need to work as frantically. Sometimes, people worked for hours on end with only 1 hours rest after driving through the night, and then passed out on the grass next to the truck....thats just how it goes.

Sure - anyone who's been around any corps knows that there are those volunteers that give there whole life over to it for months at a time, and most corps wouldn't get fed or get down the road without those saints. As for the rest of us, we do what we can, when we can, and 99.9% of the drum corps world is grateful for it. As for the .01%, I personally happen to think that alienating any volunteer over something like this is the dumbest thing to be seen on dcp since the cadets were accused of pushing pro-choice agenda in their show... :rolleyes:

I'll my on report on the days events later :lol:

"...with all due respect...

when you volunteer to help out a corps, any corps... IT IS NOT TO BE A REPORTER FOR DCP.

you will be more appreciated if you put 100% of your time into actually helping out the corps."

I don't know how to quote from another topic but I had to bring this over in case others have a problem finding it. This is the post Irving was talking about.

What an idiot this guy is.

Irving, keep doing what you are doing. 99% of everybody out there appreciates what you are doing. (although I question your choice of corps..... KIDDIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Without people like you, this activity dies. I spent many a hour behind a wheel of a truck driving from Oklahoma, , to Houston, to Dallas, to.... places I don't even remember.

Ignore that person behind the curtain. He's an idiot.