I love DCI (Drum Corps International) in the 2000s

There has been so much negativity about DCI on here lately, I've noticed a lot of people saying that it isn't really drum corps anymore, because of a few things added to enhance... but that is a topic that has been debated for way to long. This topic is to discuss what we love about current day drum corps.

As someone who became a fan in this decade, the first live show I went to was in 2005, and I loved it. I became a fan in 2003 from my band director putting on Harmonic Journey one day, then showing off his DVD collection, which included the late 80's to the present. I loved all of it. I especially love what is going on today in the activity.

Amplification of the pit I feel is a great addition to allow balance between field and front ensemble, and to allow proper technique.

I love how corps are experimenting with story telling, I feel like in the past few years there have been great shows, such as Cadets: The Zone Part 1, Bluecoats 2008, and Spartacus. Now all of these have been different ways of telling the story, but all extremely effective. There have been many more shows, these just popped up in my mind.

I have many more things I love about current drum corps. I will add them in later.

But lets keep things positive, and show our love of drum corps as it is today.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that when I talk to kids marching these days, they share the same kinds of memories I have from my marching days way back when. Sure, they may have cell phones to call home instead of hunting for a payphone, and they may eat a bit better than we did, but it's so satisfying to see that the nuts and bolts of what I got out of my drum corps experience, THEY are also getting out of their's. The things that truly matter when scores and placements are forgotten, instruments are put away, families are created and life is lived.

The talent level on both the membership and instructional side is WAY better today than when I marched. In keeping with the spirit of the thread I'll refrain from any personal negatives. :tongue:

I'm gonna be the Pollyanna here and say that I really like that there isn't the ferocious, hateful rivalry of the 70s. I love the pictures of members from 5 different corps who all look for each other at shows, cheer for each other's corps and even change corps if they want without retaliation.

Oh, and the talent, compared to my days, is amazing.

Edited by bearz

I like being at podunk shows in the middle of nowhere arkansas where there is no track and the stands are right on top of the field

1. Performing that close to the crowd is unreal. Being able to see little kids cry and cover their ears just warms my heart

2. If I get a chance to catch any shows after we perform at these venues, sitting 20 feet from the hornline is just fantastic

love the creativity and the innovation - always looking forward to seeing something I haven't seen before

and I love that junior drum corps still exists today so my kids can enjoy the life-changing experience

I'm gonna be the Pollyanna here and say that I really like that there isn't the ferocious, hateful rivalry of the 70s. I love the pictures of members from 5 different corps who all look for each other at shows, cheer for each other's corps and even change corps if they want without retaliation.

Oh, and the talent, compared to my days, is amazing.

I have to agree with bearz. We're both probably from the same era and corps weren't quite so friendly with each other back then. Sometimes things could get downright nasty. I look at DCI today and it reminds me of when the Cold War ended. :tongue:

I have to agree with bearz. We're both probably from the same era and corps weren't quite so friendly with each other back then. Sometimes things could get downright nasty. I look at DCI today and it reminds me of when the Cold War ended. :tongue:

We only had a problem with some individuals in one corps. And then both corps came together in 1979 in a show of support for each other, and we "buried the hatchet".

It wasn't a problem for us. We would hang out with many of our competitors and enjoy ourselves after the shows.

The overall quality level of today's DCI corps is outstanding.

Tha past few years, I've seen some corps that didn't make World Class finals that easily would have been finalists not too long ago.

Fran