The history of the Westshoremen

Ben,

If Dane asked you, you were that good of an arranger, or you would have learned. :satisfied:

The big thing during that time and later was this- 2 schools of thought were out there- a more musical style, and the rammer-jammer throw out a lot of zutzut-dzzzzzzz-gukdaguk every second of the show style- and some of the rammer-jammers didn't realize at the time that the more musical stuff was scoring higher on the non percussion panel sheets and didn't realize exactly why.

"But we play MORE notes!!!"

"Maybe. But they play the right notes at the right places." :satisfied:

There was a really serious conversation about it- the "guys that were writing for percussion trophies" and the "guys who wrote to put the band in position to win championships". You could tell who they were by how integrated the writing was with the entire musical program and ensemble. I know now I see a lot more effort to create elegant musical moments from percussion ensembles rather than just try and slam technicality down the throat, for which I am really excited and appreciative of.

You can even have that with wind writing- the best people write great music, the technicality will come forth from it rather than the other way around.

I know Dane figured you'd be writing for the ensemble, not for trophies. I know for certain he wouldn't have asked you if he thought that was what you were all about. He's way too thoughtful and brilliant.

Wish you'd have been at LD. I think you might have been a how shall I say it... a more stabilizing and positive influence on a couple of people and things may have been different for them. At least I know I'd have really liked it a lot had you been around. :satisfied:

My "mind" was there, and when it came to suggesting things, it worked...but my notation left a LOT to be desired! Don't get me wrong, Dane love the stuff I was doing with the pit, and I'd say that most of the written parts at that point were basic things, that we put in while having our cram sessions at Brian's place...but as the season wore on, there wasn't a part per-se, and things were more o less suggested and not written down as we heard the full product.

• Like 1

i only helped John that one year. should have stayed

Saw the picture of the 1996 "1984 tomline reunion minus one" on FB, and it looked great! Was thinking though...Between 1996 and 1998, I was PROBABLY at my peak weight (about 380-90) and would NEVER have gotten a set of drums on! (that was a few years after I quit smoking, and just ate like a #### fiend!)

I went through TWO separate weight loss things..and I'm back to putting it back on again... (gotta work on it) Lowest was 245, which didn't last long...250-260 was he past two-three years...but I'm back to about 270-75 depending upon which way the wind's blowing.... I don't feel QUITE as bad as Joe Itkor who went through the surgery, and went down and back over the past few.

(I probably need to just quit drinking again....#### wine!)

i need to lose about 30

It's just never ending...the fact that I can't seem to enjoy a nice dinner without thinking about the calories is just horrible!

OK...finally got through the whole she-bang...we talked about a LOT of the same shiite over the years.... the past few I think we finally realized we sound like a bunch of old drunk guys sitting at a bar remembering the same stuff 3-4 times over the course of a night! The only good thing was a few of the stories came back to us in better detail after a few times through it... in fact one that I mentioned (forget which one now) seemed to evolve into the correct story after about the fourth rendering!

We never really DID get through the whole 1982-83-84 thing...a few spots we talked about it...then nada! so "W" 1982 ?!?! :tounge2:

Oh and....the other thing... I think we have enough for a book on the W-men! I think we all need to get together and edit this stuff, conduct a few interviews, and get this baby published!

The title should either be "Oh We're the Corps from Harrisburg..." or "Valdaree--Valderah"

I figured between Jeff, "W" and me, we could get about 85% of this done, and add stuff from anyone else we can pull into it!

--discuss, discuss--

gotta get Larry and Bill Light

Well, 1982 so far:

-Carefully planned Winter

-Larry and I recently talked about this-- bringing in the right educators who could give us knowledge we didn't have to get us to the next level and then some

-Things going wildly beyond expectations through the Grand Prix, not knowing what to do when we won and driving everyone else nuts part by accident, part because no one expected us to actually figure much out

The next part would be partly why Sun dug in, did what they had to do, and partly why we stalled out. There are very good reasons- mainly because of what happened with early season post contest critiques. The same thing still happens today if you're running way in the front early, and frankly I think a lot of people learned from what happened in 1982 from this issue. More later.

• Like 1