The history of the Westshoremen

gotta get Larry and Bill Light

Well yeah, that might work, too :satisfied:

Well, 1982 so far:

-Carefully planned Winter

-Larry and I recently talked about this-- bringing in the right educators who could give us knowledge we didn't have to get us to the next level and then some

-Things going wildly beyond expectations through the Grand Prix, not knowing what to do when we won and driving everyone else nuts part by accident, part because no one expected us to actually figure much out

The next part would be partly why Sun dug in, did what they had to do, and partly why we stalled out. There are very good reasons- mainly because of what happened with early season post contest critiques. The same thing still happens today if you're running way in the front early, and frankly I think a lot of people learned from what happened in 1982 from this issue. More later.

What happened with the early season post contest critiques?

What happened with the early season post contest critiques?

I think a lot of them are there....we're just trying to play catch up with some things so the blanks get filled in..... I'm anxious to hear some of the later year stuff....

Btw....How ya been, George?

Called Paul Geiger after the Clifton show (first contest) in 1982. Paul had fun giving the results starting ith the last place corps and working his way up to first.

I just wanted to know how the corps did and after he said who come in 2nd I dang near said "What about Westshore".

Then it hit me..... WSM had not been said yet and the only position... left... was....

Well yeah, that might work, too :satisfied:

well Bill goes back to early 50's

Just curious...are there any historical accounts of anything prior to...well us all being born?!?

And the stories he has.... holy mackerel!!!!

George, in short, the problem was that nothing happened. :satisfied:

The problem was that were were blowing people out in Brass and Visual and the Percussion gaps were very small.

We were being told we were fine and dandy and that the show was peachy and we played it just peachy. :satisfied:

Everyone else was yelling "HOW DA FXXX ARE WE LOSING TO DOSE KIDZ AN' FAHMAS!!?!?!?!?!?" and got told exactly why and what they could do to improve the program to get closer. In some cases, major changes. With simpler drill and modular programs and a longer season, a corps could ditch an entire number and add something reasonably easy.

When people began to close in on Westshore, **then** we started getting things about programmatic issues. All of a sudden now that there was something good to compare the show to, there were things that were bothering the panels. By then it was largely too late to effect actual program rewrites.

I'll continue on this subject, but I called off work. I either got food poisoned or some stomach virus that's got me really feeling crappy. :satisfied:

There were some serious lessons learned from this I took with me as a staff member and as an adjudicator which I'll get into when I don't feel like I have 50 pounds of lead in my stomach and dizzy.

George, in short, the problem was that nothing happened. :satisfied:

The problem was that were were blowing people out in Brass and Visual and the Percussion gaps were very small.

We were being told we were fine and dandy and that the show was peachy and we played it just peachy. :satisfied:

Everyone else was yelling "HOW DA FXXX ARE WE LOSING TO DOSE KIDZ AN' FAHMAS!!?!?!?!?!?" and got told exactly why and what they could do to improve the program to get closer. In some cases, major changes. With simpler drill and modular programs and a longer season, a corps could ditch an entire number and add something reasonably easy.

When people began to close in on Westshore, **then** we started getting things about programmatic issues. All of a sudden now that there was something good to compare the show to, there were things that were bothering the panels. By then it was largely too late to effect actual program rewrites.

I'll continue on this subject, but I called off work. I either got food poisoned or some stomach virus that's got me really feeling crappy. :satisfied:

There were some serious lessons learned from this I took with me as a staff member and as an adjudicator which I'll get into when I don't feel like I have 50 pounds of lead in my stomach and dizzy.

And that's what I've said before...if the drumline started the year on the same page as the REST of the corps, I THINK it would have been different, and possibly closer, if not WSM winning the whole she-bang. But the drum instructor was new...wasn't as acclimated as the "lead guy" as some other people have been, and wasn't a good "cleaner"... the fact that next year was a serious bust proved that we were the "weakest link"!

And that's what I've said before...if the drumline started the year on the same page as the REST of the corps, I THINK it would have been different, and possibly closer, if not WSM winning the whole she-bang. But the drum instructor was new...wasn't as acclimated as the "lead guy" as some other people have been, and wasn't a good "cleaner"... the fact that next year was a serious bust proved that we were the "weakest link"!

Plus, Sun's drum line was a machine. Always our ace in the hole.