Seeing as this is the "All Big-W" Team no one can object to any of your choices, but I'm interested in seeing if you can dig out of say, the past decade or so - for instance it would be difficult to think of sections better than some of the older Skyliner "soprano/trumpet" sections.

Not faulting your choice of Cabs tubas - just waiting to see how you fill this out.

• Like 1

Well, it's just for this season, Ray. I pick them every season! :satisfied:

Also, sometimes there's the "obvious choice" from a top corps, which I avoid like John Madden did- it's too easy, and I want to let some of the people out there killing themselves know someone realizes they're pretty darned good and have real inner character! But I try and give as many corps as possible some representation on the list.

Hmm, Sky related to the best upper brass of all time, though. My guess would be you're talking the height of the Hy Dreitzer era, where in a lot of ways, they *were* that horn line. They also were loaded with some talented feature guys beyond "Johnny Grass", too.

More recent upper brass sections with that kind of insane and explosive impact? I think Empire would have to be in that discussion, though they had a more refined and richer quality to the sound, maybe the Brigs on their 4-year streak? I also think of the '78 and '79 Matadors as well, but a lot of that was Richie and Jim Centorino. We gotta get back to this, Ray. It's fun to discuss, and DCA is supposed to be about fun!

• Like 2

I'm just gonna walk up the brass ladder for now. The bari section.

I'm gonna build around the Sun Devils. Small, but extremely capable, smart, they're also very aggressive but know when to back off and keep the sound in tune and focused. Their drive really helped to make that brass section sound far deeper and bigger than their numbers. I'm adding Andreas from Heartliner- you need an experienced guy with good humor in any corps, and the guy was in the '99 Glassmen, one of my fave DCI corps. Great horn line, wonderful book. The Bucs' 3rd bari section competently chugs along and drives the train for the Bucs. You need people that you know get it done and you never have to worry about, because they do things the way it's intended to every time. The Bucs' crew are exactly that.

For the Mellos, I believe I had Fusion's Mellos last year, and I'm keeping them! They're expected to do a lot, they never have a note out of place, and they play wonderfully.

I'll get to the top brass/trumpets/sopranos after Night Shift.

Well, it's just for this season, Ray. I pick them every season! :satisfied:

Also, sometimes there's the "obvious choice" from a top corps, which I avoid like John Madden did- it's too easy, and I want to let some of the people out there killing themselves know someone realizes they're pretty darned good and have real inner character! But I try and give as many corps as possible some representation on the list.

Hmm, Sky related to the best upper brass of all time, though. My guess would be you're talking the height of the Hy Dreitzer era, where in a lot of ways, they *were* that horn line. They also were loaded with some talented feature guys beyond "Johnny Grass", too.

More recent upper brass sections with that kind of insane and explosive impact? I think Empire would have to be in that discussion, though they had a more refined and richer quality to the sound, maybe the Brigs on their 4-year streak? I also think of the '78 and '79 Matadors as well, but a lot of that was Richie and Jim Centorino. We gotta get back to this, Ray. It's fun to discuss, and DCA is supposed to be about fun!

\

Ah, forgive my ignorance, your Big Wness.

Carry on... I'll sit back in wonderment.

I was thinking about Ray's comments over work and I ended up mentally dope-slapping myself.

Best upper brass sections of late and I forgot 2009 MBI. I'm slipping. Also, I'm thinking in some era or several eras, there has to be the Cabs in the mix. Many great soloists there over the decades, great writing, maybe during that undefeated streak in the 70's?

The other thing was about Contra/Tuba. There are several gentlemen I've known, heard, and played with that were really solid Contra players/Tubists within sections in various corps that could have played the kinds of crazy things the Cabs played on Tuba this year- but to have an entire section capable of that level of ability is what makes it incredible. In the "tick era"- the only time the low brass usually got noticed was when they ticked, and there was a real "soprano-centric" style of writing from many arrangers. many guys wrote way more conservative for Low brass. Some gentlemen were more ahead of the game than others, though and wrote across the ensemble. Those people are the ones people look back on as the real legendary arrangers now. The thing about Hy's arranging that really opened my eyes, Ray, and if I run into Reuben Amaro again, I'd ask him- He seemed to write deeper and more subtly for the Brassmen based on my listening to their alumni performances. Or could it be that they had a different style and approach?

Ray, you have me thinking too much. It's a good thing. I've felt mentally fuzzy this Winter. :satisfied:

• 3 months later...

Well, better late than never, and I apologize- this is the first time since Thanksgiving I've felt remotely good. More work hours, nursing a busted Gall Bladder through to Profiles in Brass, being tired because of it, then getting it yanked out- it's all been too many plates spinning all at once for me. I know folks out there understand about wanting to perform. It kept me going for several months. There's nothing better than performing.

I figure finishing this up just before Wildwood might give some of the performers a bit of a boost. Also, make some of you laugh.

For Upper Brass, I really had to think about this one. I realized that CV's upper brass section really did very well this year and were very under the radar. I'll take those people in a heartbeat.

Now, to fill out this brass section, I'm going to go off the board a bit, since I was lucky to get to the I and E event. I'll throw in the Groovy Brass and the Freelancers Alumni and steal the Freelancers arranger for this corps as well. Put some old, cool heads in there to bolster the ranks.

For the Guard, I'm dipping into Class A and taking the High Country Brass and Heartliner guards. Both were an essential part of their corps' performance and a major contributor to their finish.

For percussion- hmmm... Fusion's battery in 2013 really matured and placed very well. Let's take their snares and tenors. Also, Empire's Basses. For the Front Ensemble, I'll take the Bucs. Why? I think it's a fair question. I really thought about this one. They really don't draw attention to themselves. being a Westshore Alumni, I know about Front Ensembles that catch attention and draw people into their scene. The Bucs aren't grabbing you, BUT-- the Bucs Front Ensemble enhanced and underpinned the overall musicality of their entire corps a lot more than would ever be obvious to someone listening casually. They do all of those little things exceptionally well, and never ask for attention while doing it. TASTY, VERY TASTY.

Sideline guys: Let's grab Dick Pommerleau and Frank Ponzo for the high horn, the gentleman on Mello from Empire, and Ruben Amaro (Sky/Brassmen) on bari. Why Ponzo? Frank's **been** playing fantastically, but this year, he took the Ponzosphere to new levels. :worthy:

Drum majors: This year, I found the kind of people I was looking for. Maybe they found me. Last year, I did find the Cabs' Chris Fontanelle as the assistant, and he's back. It's just good to have that person you can count on in this role and never worry about. Since this a corps of the imagination and also for fun- I found three people that really were top notch for three different reasons. The Sun Devils' "JJ" is that one person you want conducting that's also not afraid to give the audience a wink and a knowing grin. He's also a fantstic conductor. Sometimes, you need a guy with a strong will to be excellent that's gonna look at you and ask if that's your A-game, and if it's not, you gotta find it and bring it. Someone you know is always digging into his well to bring it and lead by his example, someone who wills the corps to push itself. Dan Detwiler at CV is one of those guys. The last person is well known but not as a conductor. Donny Allen's a fantastic conductor of the Ghost Riders. Every nuance is there, his intent is clear, and he's spot on and readable. He also brings a lot of joy and enthusiasm to the podium.

Geez, I'm starting to get beat again. All I know is that 2013 was a lot of fun for me as a DCA fan. I'm not sure how many shows I'll be at this Summer (Pencil me in for D-Town, Scranton and Reading, maybe a couple others), and I'm already disappointed I won't get to see everyone in DCA as I have the last 2 years. I'll say it again- there's a lot of good things happening, and I always feel a real affinity with the current competitors. There's far more that ties us together than drives us apart. I wish everyone setting foot on the field this Summer a lot of good health, good fortune, and good performance experiences. I'll see everyone out there, hook or by crook, and soon. And since I should be recovered fully by then and since the shows are a lot smaller, faster reviews. :lol: See you at the Stadium!

Wow BigW, I'm flattered. I'm just out there having fun and hopefully helping CV be the best we can be. Hope to see you out on the road somewhere this summer...Grand Prix maybe?

Take care of yourself and to all my competitors out there...have a great season. It will be fun to push each other to new levels of excellence.

Dan

Glad you're back on your feet, W!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks, Fran- Was really good to see yah with the Alumni again and just to hang out. I was drinking a lot of Starbuck's Espresso Doubleshots at work and before practice to get back to normal. I was just dragging a lot. If I hadn't lost all the weight, Lord knows how much more I'd be draggin!

And the one compliment I can give to Dan is this- When you get older and crankier, you start to realize there are some people you respect enough in the activity that if you're screwing up and you know it, you just don't mind them giving you "heck", Dan is one of them.

• Like 2

Glad your health is going in the right direction W, had no idea this was going on. Will pass the info to Kris who is also going the right direction but we'll be DC'ing via the web this season.