Well, better late than never, and I apologize- this is the first time since Thanksgiving I've felt remotely good. More work hours, nursing a busted Gall Bladder through to Profiles in Brass, being tired because of it, then getting it yanked out- it's all been too many plates spinning all at once for me. I know folks out there understand about wanting to perform. It kept me going for several months. There's nothing better than performing.

I figure finishing this up just before Wildwood might give some of the performers a bit of a boost. Also, make some of you laugh.

For Upper Brass, I really had to think about this one. I realized that CV's upper brass section really did very well this year and were very under the radar. I'll take those people in a heartbeat.

Now, to fill out this brass section, I'm going to go off the board a bit, since I was lucky to get to the I and E event. I'll throw in the Groovy Brass and the Freelancers Alumni and steal the Freelancers arranger for this corps as well. Put some old, cool heads in there to bolster the ranks.

For the Guard, I'm dipping into Class A and taking the High Country Brass and Heartliner guards. Both were an essential part of their corps' performance and a major contributor to their finish.

For percussion- hmmm... Fusion's battery in 2013 really matured and placed very well. Let's take their snares and tenors. Also, Empire's Basses. For the Front Ensemble, I'll take the Bucs. Why? I think it's a fair question. I really thought about this one. They really don't draw attention to themselves. being a Westshore Alumni, I know about Front Ensembles that catch attention and draw people into their scene. The Bucs aren't grabbing you, BUT-- the Bucs Front Ensemble enhanced and underpinned the overall musicality of their entire corps a lot more than would ever be obvious to someone listening casually. They do all of those little things exceptionally well, and never ask for attention while doing it. TASTY, VERY TASTY.

Sideline guys: Let's grab Dick Pommerleau and Frank Ponzo for the high horn, the gentleman on Mello from Empire, and Ruben Amaro (Sky/Brassmen) on bari. Why Ponzo? Frank's **been** playing fantastically, but this year, he took the Ponzosphere to new levels. :worthy:

Drum majors: This year, I found the kind of people I was looking for. Maybe they found me. Last year, I did find the Cabs' Chris Fontanelle as the assistant, and he's back. It's just good to have that person you can count on in this role and never worry about. Since this a corps of the imagination and also for fun- I found three people that really were top notch for three different reasons. The Sun Devils' "JJ" is that one person you want conducting that's also not afraid to give the audience a wink and a knowing grin. He's also a fantstic conductor. Sometimes, you need a guy with a strong will to be excellent that's gonna look at you and ask if that's your A-game, and if it's not, you gotta find it and bring it. Someone you know is always digging into his well to bring it and lead by his example, someone who wills the corps to push itself. Dan Detwiler at CV is one of those guys. The last person is well known but not as a conductor. Donny Allen's a fantastic conductor of the Ghost Riders. Every nuance is there, his intent is clear, and he's spot on and readable. He also brings a lot of joy and enthusiasm to the podium.

Geez, I'm starting to get beat again. All I know is that 2013 was a lot of fun for me as a DCA fan. I'm not sure how many shows I'll be at this Summer (Pencil me in for D-Town, Scranton and Reading, maybe a couple others), and I'm already disappointed I won't get to see everyone in DCA as I have the last 2 years. I'll say it again- there's a lot of good things happening, and I always feel a real affinity with the current competitors. There's far more that ties us together than drives us apart. I wish everyone setting foot on the field this Summer a lot of good health, good fortune, and good performance experiences. I'll see everyone out there, hook or by crook, and soon. And since I should be recovered fully by then and since the shows are a lot smaller, faster reviews. :lol: See you at the Stadium!

Not to be picky, but I think you meant to type Ruben Ariola. Thanks for all your insight over the years and very glad to hear that you are back to your old self again. Continued good health to you!

• Like 2

Not to be picky, but I think you meant to type Ruben Ariola. Thanks for all your insight over the years and very glad to hear that you are back to your old self again. Continued good health to you!

Thank you, Ray. I consider myself fortunate to hear him at I and E and compete against him. I also thanked him for the great lesson he gave me in three minutes of playing. Ie was kind of amazed, but I learned MUCH in those three minutes listening and watching, and really learned I needed to free up my mind more when playing and ways how to do it from him. If I ever stop learning, I'm in big trouble. It possibly means I'm dead! :exclamation:

Glad your health is going in the right direction W, had no idea this was going on. Will pass the info to Kris who is also going the right direction but we'll be DC'ing via the web this season.

Been thinking a lot about you and Kris. My problems are really infinitesimal compared to hers- and even this little bit of an issue scared the living heck out of me. I know a lot of DCPers get the biggest fear I had when this all hit was if I'd be able to play again. To a lot of people who aren't musicians, that would seem silly but that was one of the biggest things on my mind in the ER if not the biggest. I'm happy to hear Kris is digging out- you know my Sister and I are always thinking of you both. I'll try and keep you laughing when I do the reviews. :satisfied:

You'll have to tell me how the DCA Fan network sounds then. :cool:

>>Hmm, Sky related to the best upper brass of all time, though. My guess would be you're talking the height of the Hy Dreitzer era, where in a lot of ways, they *were* that horn line. They also were loaded with some talented feature guys beyond "Johnny Grass", too.<<

So ... let's take a look at who shared the stage on solo/lead sop with Grass in Sky during his playing years of 1969-1978 ...

Bucky Swan (BHOF)

Vinnie Costanza

Gus Wilke (BHOF)

Johnny Guarino (BHOF)

Joe DeFiglia (BHOF)

Wilton Ramos

Kenton Clarke (BHOF)

George "Sidemouth" Richardson (BHOF)

Bobby Burke (BHOF)

John Girardi (BHOF)

"Red" Van Duyne

Dan DiQuatro

John DiQuatro

Joe Chezik

Jack Papa

Marty Angiulli (BHOF)

Junior Lorini

Frankie "The Geek" (can't remember his last name)

John Leonhardt

Richard "Butch" Anderson

Jimmy Ednie

Manny Salort

JoJo Todaro

Pee Wee Todaro

Bill "Dover" Seiglen

Tom "Boston Tom" McAndrew

Gene Grant

Nick Frattelo

Donato Glussi

Dom Livoti

I know I've missed some ... just wanted to give W a feel for who John played with during that decade ... some nice name s on the lists ... all of them soloists with either Sky or their Jr corps ...

:-)

What's even more impressive with that list are how many BHoF people are in it. It's like a jazz band- you may have a fantastic solo chair or a feature, but your lead person/s is/are the workhorse(s) that keep(s) it rolling, and Sky had to have them to make that corps succeed.

When I first watched them as a HS kid in '78 at a practice, it blew our minds how many of those guys could just pick up and play hard. Not just one or two, like... all of them! It's a bigger jump from Band to Corps than I really think some people truly realize in that aspect. It might not be as "big" a jump as BITD, but it's like saying flying across the Atlantic is shorter than the Pacific. They're both still oceans, man.

Thanks, Fran- Was really good to see yah with the Alumni again and just to hang out. I was drinking a lot of Starbuck's Espresso Doubleshots at work and before practice to get back to normal. I was just dragging a lot. If I hadn't lost all the weight, Lord knows how much more I'd be draggin!

And the one compliment I can give to Dan is this- When you get older and crankier, you start to realize there are some people you respect enough in the activity that if you're screwing up and you know it, you just don't mind them giving you "heck", Dan is one of them.

I gotta get up your way someday and go back to the Brewhouse Grille... that place is great!!!

OK... now back to our regularly-scheduled topic. LOL.

So ... let's take a look at who shared the stage on solo/lead sop with Grass in Sky during his playing years of 1969-1978 ...

Bucky Swan (BHOF)

Vinnie Costanza

Gus Wilke (BHOF)

Johnny Guarino (BHOF)

Joe DeFiglia (BHOF)

Wilton Ramos

Kenton Clarke (BHOF)

Bobby Burke (BHOF)

John Girardi (BHOF)

"Red" Van Duyne

Dan DiQuatro

John DiQuatro

Joe Chezik

Jack Papa

Marty Angiulli (BHOF)

Junior Lorini

John Leonhardt

Richard "Butch" Anderson

Jimmy Ednie

Manny Salort

JoJo Todaro

Pee Wee Todaro

Bill "Dover" Seiglen

Gene Grant

Nick Frattelo

Donato Glussi

Dom Livoti

I know I've missed some ... just wanted to give W a feel for who John played with during that decade ... some nice name s on the lists ... all of them soloists with either Sky or their Jr corps ...

I know a few more on that list should be in the BHOF, but one that pops out for me is Jimmy Ednie. Even back in St. Rocco's he was star material and an overall great guy.

Edited by gsksun4

>>Hmm, Sky related to the best upper brass of all time, though. My guess would be you're talking the height of the Hy Dreitzer era, where in a lot of ways, they *were* that horn line. They also were loaded with some talented feature guys beyond "Johnny Grass", too.<<

Bucky Swan (BHOF)

Vinnie Costanza

Gus Wilke (BHOF)

Johnny Guarino (BHOF)

Joe DeFiglia (BHOF)

Wilton Ramos

Kenton Clarke (BHOF)

Bobby Burke (BHOF)

John Girardi (BHOF)

"Red" Van Duyne

Dan DiQuatro

John DiQuatro

Joe Chezik

Jack Papa

Marty Angiulli (BHOF)

Junior Lorini

John Leonhardt

Richard "Butch" Anderson

Jimmy Ednie

Manny Salort

JoJo Todaro

Pee Wee Todaro

Bill "Dover" Seiglen

Gene Grant

Nick Frattelo

Donato Glussi

Dom Livoti

:-)

Didn't know McAndrew played lead sop for Sky. Knew he was a french horn.

Bet that was a strange mix...

You've pointed out why I opined to the Big W why Sky's soprano/trumpet section should rank with the greatest of all times, Junion/Senior/All-Age/Alumni whatever.

You could have used their leads to perform laser surgery between 1966 and just about 1984.

Loved competing against them, and always had to give them their due.

Heard Butch play the horn on the field one time with Sky - just a solo - and not sure (memory is gone) if it was an exhibition.

He was good enough to play in that line, but probably wouldn't have been better than the top 5 or so you listed up there.

• 3 months later...