Saint Patricks Parades

Well it looks like most of the corps have a busy month in March,good to see most if not all the Northeastern Corps will be in Holyloke .Mass ,for that big drum corps parade .March 22.

Caballero's

Bushwackers

Sunrisers

Fusion

Excelsior

Huricanes

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Like 1

We in the Northeast and New England might be shoveled out by then.

St. Patrick's marching season actually begins the first weekend of March in order to allow the smaller parades to have enough pipe bands, almost all of whom end up in the Grand March up Fifth Avenue in NYC on the 17th, the oldest and longest (in time and mileage) St. Patrick's Day Parade in the world. Savannah and Dublin duel for the silver. Milwaukee's Pioneer often marches the NYC route, but this year they will be in Chicago. Boston is re-defining Evacuation Day festivities as they rid themselves of the Alpine look.

Funny sight along the Northeast interstates is seeing the pipe bands in civvies practicing marching in the commuter parking lots along the way.

Edited by xandandl

Long Island has 28 Saint Patricks Parades beginning the frist sunday of march through the last Sunday ,I know I marched a pipe band after all my years in Drum Corps ,We did 9 parades in March the last year I marched at !,200.00 per parade not a bad paying month ,

Many of the St. Patrick's Day Parades have been marched in a blizzard.

One year when the Huntington parade was officially called off due to the storm which brought 2 ft of new snow overnight, I had the honor of being one of the dozen who walked the line of march so to keep the parade permit open. This circumvents those whose animosity for various reasons would choose to cancel the annual gathering.

This is also the custom in NYC whose parade pre-dates the establishment of the U.S. as a nation. Certain opposing forces have recently shortened the parade by a mile. Few are aware of the extra efforts which must be rallied in this neo-Know Nothing era.

One year when I marched with my high school corps, the St. Francis Xavier Cadets, it was so cold as we came up 5th Avenue on the approach to the cathedral (and the bishop) that our valves froze and it was impossible to play our planned tune, "Kerry Dancers", for the assembled dignitaries.

Instead, our moderator, Fr. Reilly, instructed us to perform "G-bugle music", the bugle calls for Colors, Church Call and that old favorite "Muffin Man". The bishop loved it, especially since most other units simply marched by to drum street beats.

I'll be on those very steps this year on 3/17 and will post a report.

• Like 1

Hanover Lancers will be at York, PA for the parade and probably the traditional pre-parade concert in the square.

Wanting for Tony (TennTux) to see if Reilly will be across the river from me at Harrisburg.

Trying to remember if York got snowed out one year recently or if that was a Fall Millersville, PA college parade... probably both...

I'll be on those very steps this year on 3/17 and will post a report.

Watch for my salute. I usually go up the Avenue twice, once with Co. Roscommon (Dad's dad and Mom's parents) and once with Co. Cork (Dad's mom). Now back to training and finding a St. Patrick's Day card which actually pictures St. Patrick rather than drunk leprechauns and puppies.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Hanover Lancers will be at York, PA for the parade and probably the traditional pre-parade concert in the square.

Wanting for Tony (TennTux) to see if Reilly will be across the river from me at Harrisburg.

Trying to remember if York got snowed out one year recently or if that was a Fall Millersville, PA college parade... probably both...

Reilly is in the Baltimore parade on March 15.

• Like 1

All the years I lived in the NYC/NJ metro area, I saw the St. Patrick's Day parade in person only once.

1984... I was dating a woman who was a police officer in NJ... and she was friends with some folks on the NYC force. So she got us passes to the reviewing stand.

Spent the day rubbing elbows with Mayor Koch and others. Unbelievable.

• Like 4

IIRC I did 3 St Patricks parades in Baltimore in the 70s and each had it's own wierd side story.....

1) Paul Gieger rode on the drum truck and they got lost dun-town. Driver pulls over and asks someone where the Alacazar(IIRC) is and guy just stares like the driver grew a 3rd eye. Then the guy turns and points to the building across the street... there it is. Only found out when I asked Paul how they got such a great parking spot and he started laughing.

2) What was the deal with the creepy looking guy meowing from a 3rd story window? We thought a cat was in trouble until we looked up and.... oh crap.... no eye contact... no eye contact....

3) "I have a Bicentenial Special going on... $17.76.... Bicentenial Special... c'mon boys". Said to the whole corps as we were going back to our cars after the parade...... by a hooker......

Edited by JimF-LowBari