RADICAL IDEA. Discuss.

NASCAR's "big event" might lead off their season, but their CHAMPIONSHIP is not determined by that race. If you want to use that analogy, what we now know as Prelims should lead off our season, and each corps should earn "points" for their placements for the following shows during the summer to determine the champion. The only way THAT would work, would be for ALL corps to compete against each other at EVERY show during the season-think about what a logistical nightmare that alone would be, then you are also eliminating MBI, Govies, Kilties, Alliance, CV, any California corps and pretty much any international competitors who don't have the resources to spend the entire season essentially on tour (which is probably why some members are marching there to begin with, because THEY can't spend the entire season on tour). A much more workable solution would be to schedule several "majors" during the season, like DCI does with Atlanta, San Antonio, Allentown...where you essentially have everybody. Once again, however, no matter where the final choices might be there are some corps that just won't be able to swing it. Remember when Renegades used to come to championships, that was their one BIG trek east during the year...Kidsgrove and Inspires (when they used to make the trip) have to skip every other year to muster their resources. Interestingly, the only places I can recall in the last 20 years or so where DCA performed on football fields at championships were Allentown and Annapolis. Scranton and Syracuse (and Rochester in the 90's)were baseball fields, Rochester since has been the soccer stadium.

• Like 1

Not the 4th! I agree that nascar drivers don't need a summer to improve, they're professionals already. But change it to the weekend before labor day already. Times are changing (sorry to those that hate that this is so): some schools start earlier than labor day weekend. I can say personally some of my students did not join corps because they didn't want to miss a day the first week of school (yes they are that anal about their grades).

My understanding is that DCA is looking at ways to restructure the process of scheduling shows and that among these is the possibility of an early "regional" type event somewhere more central to all the corps. As far as I know nothing has been decided but I think they are looking at trying to get more corps together at least once earlier in the year. We'll see what pans out.

Dan

Dan, that sounds encouraging. Seems to me, July 4 might be a great weekend for something like that! In DCA, to bring in all corps requires a full 3-day period for travel. Helps many fans, too!

I mean, how many corps can afford to fly here and there, except maybe uber-wealthy corps like Atlanta CV? :smile:

Edited by Fred Windish

It's always good to think outside of the box....Good work Fred!

I don't like the idea of moving the championships to the beginning of the season. For me, it takes the excitement out of building towards the best you can be...of peaking at the very end. It would also negate the thrill and intensity of the chase....isn't the urgency to clean and excel, stay on the heals of the competition or maintain a lead what fuels the fellowship and camaraderie of the activity?

Maybe moving the championship to the end of August and the start of the season towards Memorial Day is worth talking about.

Thanks, John!

Right now, I can't get past what seems to be a necessary requirement, a typical 3-day weekend off work for most corps and fans. The event could be held a week before, often without all the usual corps, I suppose. Something doesn't seem right about that. That would require a notice like "Hey, this is when the Championship is, guess you'll just have to fly in the night before." Ouch!

Since we're thinking "outside the box" why not consider breaking up the events of the Championship weekend into two separate dates/venues? Keep the traditional championship at the end of August and move the Alumni show and I&E to June or July. Both events could be accomplished over a two day weekend and would also generate income from two separate gates. The Alumni and I&E event could be an "off" weekend for all competitive corps to relax and sit back as spectators to and enjoy the events and vice/versa... Why not?

I was thinking about something similar, too. Here's another concept.....

THREE rotating championship sites. Still Labor Day Weekend for all. I realize there's the opinion you have to stay a minimum of 2 years at a site to get everything rolling along correctly, but I'm not so sure that's of utmost importance. Each rotating site held in a region that benefits travel for roughly one-third of the corps. Maybe, something within 1-2 hours of . . . .

Rochester or New Jersey

Atlanta or Charlotte

Chicago or Indianapolis

This way, each participant/fan gets a relatively close oportunity once every 3 years. The fan market is expanded. After each visit, the host community can increase sponsorships to bring such a unique event back. Everything stays fresh for fans.

I get that many corps would be most happy with the Eastern region event. But, geez . . . what about the other guys!

I'm enjoying all this. Too bad we don't yet have more viewpoints and suggestions!

Edited by Fred Windish

Since we're thinking "outside the box" why not consider breaking up the events of the Championship weekend into two separate dates/venues? Keep the traditional championship at the end of August and move the Alumni show and I&E to June or July. Both events could be accomplished over a two day weekend and would also generate income from two separate gates. The Alumni and I&E event could be an "off" weekend for all competitive corps to relax and sit back as spectators to and enjoy the events and vice/versa... Why not?

There are two reasons I don't believe this plan is viable:

1) The alumni show and I&E cannot stand on their own. They are reliant on being ancillary parts of DCA Championships. Take the competing corps away, there's no real audience. The vast majority of the audience isn't going to travel if the competing corps aren't involved, and the members of the competing corps that would otherwise be involved in Alumni and I&E won't be there either. I don't believe either event could exist on it's own financially.

2) There are no real "off weekends" in DCA. Sure, most corps may take a full weekend off, but to force them to all chose the same weekend, and then fill that weekend with elements of the very activity they have been given "off" from, doesn't make much sense.

The focus for the competing corps is, and always will be competition. And it should be. It's cool that many corps structure their schedules so their members can participate in I&E, but it is not (and should not) be a priority.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

There are two reasons I don't believe this plan is viable:

1) The alumni show and I&E cannot stand on their own. They are reliant on being ancillary parts of DCA Championships. Take the competing corps away, there's no real audience. The vast majority of the audience isn't going to travel if the competing corps aren't involved, and the members of the competing corps that would otherwise be involved in Alumni and I&E won't be there either. I don't believe either event could exist on it's own financially.

2) There are no real "off weekends" in DCA. Sure, most corps may take a full weekend off, but to force them to all chose the same weekend, and then fill that weekend with elements of the very activity they have been given "off" from, doesn't make much sense.

The focus for the competing corps is, and always will be competition. And it should be. It's cool that many corps structure their schedules so their members can participate in I&E, but it is not (and should not) be a priority.

Good points, however, I'm not so sure the Alumni & I&E events can't stand on their own. Look at Plymouth, it's doing just fine every year, and it's held in November! It's a two day event with a show and parade...add in the I&E and such a weekend could be cultivated into a sucess.

As for the off weekend. It certainly shouldn't be mandatory for anyone. But there are surely enough hard core devotees among the ranks that would gravitate towards such a weekend... many to participate in the I&E, and others as fans. Having a weekend off dosen't have to mean "No Drum Corps".....note, several corps take the Allentown weekend off so interested members can attend the DCI show...some go, some don't.

Compitition is clearly the focus for corps, but one must factor in so many other elements when summing up the overall drum corps experience we all embrace...soo many memories both on and off the field, they last a lifetime!

• Like 1